Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Locked Topic Attention Spammers Redux (Read 8,161 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Attention Spammers Redux
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2012 at 3:11am
There are no actions to perform.
My forums aren't exactly busy right now either for testing - but I'll tinker together a mod as soon as I have some free time.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - May 17th, 2012 at 8:57pm
I've heard that it works well too for general forms, I've just never had much luck with it within YaBB - though admittedly I haven't got a busy live forum to test it on properly. I can sort you the code out that I have if you wanted to take it on as a mod yourself...
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 9:29pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2012 at 8:03pm
I was just wondering about it as I know some people (using other software) swear by it. But SpamFruits and Anti-Spam Question appear to be much better deterrents.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - May 17th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Wow! All of this is French to me.

All I know from a regular user's perspective is that Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod works wonderfully, and once it's installed, modifications can quickly and easily be made through the Admin Center.

So basically, even if some spam-bot organization figured out how it works, an admin could simply defeat it all over again with another modification.

Seriously!

As a test, I asked the question, "What is 1 + 2?"

I even provided the answer next to the question. "The answer is obviously 3."

Spam-bots aren't people. They're simply smart programs without a soul. As such, we humans can defeat them in various clever ways with Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod.

If you haven't already tried it, go for it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2012 at 4:15pm
MyBB has it built in, but that method isn't really much use to forum software because bots are already set up for the registration process, so there's no reason for them to crawl for form fields.

I had started to work on a mod for it going back a few months, but never released it because I didn't think it would be of much help:

It's the same principle as this:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1326252184

But relies on the field having a value set, rather than being empty.

Anyway, it is very easy to do - I've had it set up on my demos board for quite a while though and have never had an attempt.

Add something like this to your registration form:

Code (HTML)
Select All
<div style="display: none;"><input type="text" name="homepage" value="" /></div> 

And this to the Register2 sub:

Code (Perl)
Select All
if ($FORM{'homepage'}) { &fatal_error("", "Registration not allowed: Our system has detected that you are a spammer."); } 

I think that the only time it would help is if your forum was important enough to be specifically targeted.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 5:32pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2012 at 3:30pm
There's another spambot fighting technique out there called Honey-Pot that relies on the fact that the spambots see the code rather than the output of a browser - the honey-pot is (from my understanding) a registration text-field that is set to not be displayed on a browser, so only a spambot would even see it to fill it in. Therefore, if it IS filled in, it's a spambot doing it.

SMF has this for a mod. I don't recall seeing this one over at BoardMod or at Carsten's. Maybe someone would like to play with this idea? Or I'll look at it once MY computer/server issues are dealt with - I think JonB's server issues at work may be contagious.  Huh

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:36am
I think I have the fix for that last one - Like the magic box  Wink

Smiley

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 9:39am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2012 at 7:10am
Regarding the slew of spam posts that has once again gotten by JonB (not his fault since he can't be around 24/7), can those of you running this forum please reconsider installing Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod and/or Carsten's Spamfruits mod?

Installing either or both mods will still allow Open registration without approvals for immediate registrations.

Meanwhile, JonB will be swatting away the spammers soon enough. Hopefully this time around he'll get them all.  Wink

Edited:
Update: As he always does, JonB swatted away the spam; againSmiley
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 5:26pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:46pm
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2012 at 3:52am by JonB »  

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 7:26am
Corey Chapman wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:53pm:
We are discussing adding one of the spam fighting mods as an official piece of code in the current development cycle.

Derek Barnstorm's "StopForumSpam" mod is definitely one that should become part of the official codebase.  I've been working with him on it (in that I've been providing suggestions, testing code, and making recommendations, though not doing the coding myself), so if you need an "official" dev to help make this happen, let me know.  I'll try to find some time to verify and clean up the code for incorporation, if you need/want me to.

Edited:
ETA: Hmm, looks like you may have cleared me out of Dev status... well, if you want me to rejoin and help, I'm happy and willing to do so.  I've been consumed with work and family issues over the last long while, but I'm trying to get back into the game, so let me know.

On a related note, I've found a tweak to the captcha settings that appears to be completely foiling Xrumer and/or the other auto-captcha decoders.  I'll be happy to share those settings with you, Corey (whether in open posts or via PM), in case you want to make them the default settings.  I think they're still very readable but ever since I implemented the tweaks, ZERO automated spammers have gotten through - they're not even triggering the StopForumSpam mod checks, because they're getting hung up on the captchas.

Let me know.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2011 at 7:33am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

anarchos78
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:20pm
αντε προσοχη!!!

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 11:28pm
That was spooky wasn't it....  Shocked

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 9:34pm
@Corey - I was responding to a post and I don't know what happened to it. So my comment certainly wasn't aimed in your direction - I think we all know how hard you and JonB and everybody else have been working to keep the spammers out.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:53pm
The problem is we are running development code here, which is heavily modified from what is publicly available as a release.  It would be more difficult to add the mods and would be lost when I update here again.  We are discussing adding one of the spam fighting mods as an official piece of code in the current development cycle.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Attention Spammers Redux
Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:50pm
You don't say which version of YaBB you're running. First - make sure you have the recommended anti-spam mods running, the stopforumspam mod being the first - that automatically disallows anyone already on the list.

2, add either the Spam Fruits or Anti-spam quiz mod. If you choose the anti-spam quiz mod, make sure to add your own unique questions to it.

Between those two, the attacks should go down to a dull roar.

And the 'regular' anti-spam board is here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=antispam

Um - I responded to something and it's not here now.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 9:29pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top