Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Attention Spammers Redux (Read 7,564 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Attention Spammers Redux
Reply #29 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:45am
There are no actions to perform.
@ merv - you did read the thing that said 'under re-design' right?

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #28 - May 19th, 2012 at 2:01am
WestwegoMan wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 1:47am:
Just my opinion here but I firmly believe that if YaBB is to progress into the future, it would seem that people visiting the main forum would be more interested to use it if they didn't see the forum full of spammers and moved spam posts.

Therefore a anti-spam solution should be implemented ASAP.

Just thinking through words:)

Does anyone not know what my opinion is about this?  Smiley

Edited:
Added a smilie to illustrate my probation. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 2:04am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #27 - May 19th, 2012 at 1:47am
Just my opinion here but I firmly believe that if YaBB is to progress into the future, it would seem that people visiting the main forum would be more interested to use it if they didn't see the forum full of spammers and moved spam posts.

Therefore a anti-spam solution should be implemented ASAP.

Just thinking through words:)

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #26 - May 18th, 2012 at 10:05pm
WestwegoMan wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 10:03pm:
Just looking for a solution to my little problem.  Smiley

If there's a solution to be found, you'll be the guy to find it!  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #25 - May 18th, 2012 at 10:03pm
Bill Myers wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 9:35pm:
Careful Merv. It's possible that this subject may no longer be allowed.

I'm always careful, especially when I swim with the alligators.
Just looking for a solution to my little problem.  Smiley

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #24 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Edited:
For the record, JonB is of course right about the subject of spam-bots being beat to death. Of course, the irony about it is that even though it's been discussed ad nauseam, to date this forum continues to allow spam-bots to freely register, and post their spam.

I am so flummoxed behind that reasoning. I think I need a good cup of coffee!  Smiley

Edited:
Uh, oh! I didn't read his private message until I posted this reply, but JonB just admonished me about posting here about the subject of spam-bots.

He made a good point about me beating it to death.

But seriously, I only post about it when the spam-bots get past him.  Wink

JonB wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 8:49pm:
Bill - this constitutes your last post on this topic.

I'm confused by what you mean.

As long as you continue to allow spammers to post, of course I'll continue to advocate for YaBB to use an anti-spam mod. Whether it's here or elsewhere, I care enough about YaBB's showcase forum to at least make an effort to do something about it.

It's hard for me to believe that you'll allow spam-bots to post, but you won't allow responses regarding those posts. How would that make any sense?

For the sake of keeping this discussion friendly, presuming that a discussion about it is allowed, I'll presume that I've misread your post.

So again, I'm confused by what you mean. Can you please clarify? Thanks.

WestwegoMan wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 9:00pm:
Hmmm. Is there any protection against them in YaBB3? I had a problem with them in my test board. I required a birthday and required a gender on registration but that didn't help. Maybe I missed a setting in the admin center.

But, while on the subject of this, maybe someone can help me with this post

Careful Merv. It's possible that this subject may no longer be allowed.  Roll Eyes Wink
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 10:04pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #23 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Bill Myers wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 8:10pm:
Clarification for those who might think that spam-bots can't be defeated in YaBB: No worries. They can be defeated.

Hmmm. Is there any protection against them in YaBB3? I had a problem with them in my test board. I required a birthday and required a gender on registration but that didn't help. Maybe I missed a setting in the admin center.

But, while on the subject of this, maybe someone can help me with this post

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - May 18th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Bill - this constitutes your last post on this topic.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #21 - May 18th, 2012 at 8:10pm
Bottom line: Rather than implementing a very easy solution to stop spam-bots cold in this forum, excuses are instead made because of the spam that continues to be allowed. I'm embarrassed for YaBB.

Especially in YaBB's own forum, spam-bot posts are inexcusable.

Clarification for those who might think that spam-bots can't be defeated in YaBB: No worries. They can be defeated.

There are at least 3 ways I know of to stop spammers cold if you want to use YaBB as your forum.  Smiley

Edited:
Hint: For spam-bots that are still logged into the system, all you need to do is to delete their account.

Or if you want to have some fun with them, especially since there are relatively few spam-bots who publish numerous posts in a hit-and-run kind of way, just change their password to make their account effectively useless. Wink
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 8:19pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #20 - May 18th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Bill -

A. I already have Derek's Anti-spam Question on a big public forum.

B. In case you had not noticed, Bastille Day has not happened here yet - Corey is still the head of the project.

C. It is quite impossible for you (or anyone else) to guess what I am thinking about or working on based on my actions as an admin/moderator. I do my job here as it is defined at this moment.

D. I hope you bothered to read that it appears the bot/spammer was still logged in, so my banning had no effect on the last five spam posts. Lesson Learned - see if they are still logged in. YaBB does not have the ability (AFAIK) to terminate a logged in user - there is a very technical reason that has to do with that cgi-bin thing.

all that said - I am shutting up.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - May 18th, 2012 at 4:30pm
Derek Barnstorm wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 3:04pm:
Quote:
Time in minutes before users are removed from the Online Log
Affects how long usernames are displayed in the "Users Online" section of the forum's Main Page

So, if Jon hasn't logged out, then he may appear to be online even when he isn't. Wink

Excellent point, and quite accurate.

The thing is, it becomes irrelevant whether or not a moderator is on duty to swat away the spam when in fact a conscious decision was made to allow spam-bots to register in this forum.

Especially in YaBB's own forum, spam-bot posts are embarrassing, and completely unnecessary. You know very well how effective your mod is at stopping spam-bots cold, so I think it's a shame that it's not being used.

On the note of looking like one is logged on when they aren't, I know this very well. When YaBB was on the previous server, there was no way to log myself off when my session would end. That problem disappeared when YaBB moved to this new server.

Edited:
Edited to correct yet another typo.  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 4:32pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #18 - May 18th, 2012 at 4:19pm
JonB wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 2:49pm:
* JonB cyber-sprays Bill with XANAX

Chill, dude!  Wink

Cool

Edited:
Those 'should' not have happened - so I am looking into it - I think the bot may not have logged out when I started swatting/banning. I have re-buried his dog crap

Shocked

Smiley

Instead of offering "XANAX" simply because I pointed out that spam-bots have once again gotten the best of you, which is a pattern in this forum, I hope you'll allow yourself the benefit of Derek's spam-bot killer.

You won't know how well it works until you try it.  Wink

Scratching my head over this one.  Roll Eyes

Interestingly, it's not uncommon for otherwise very intelligent people to get stymied when it comes to solving the easiest of problems. Maybe their brains are just too big to leave room for a little common sense.

Present company excluded since you obviously choose to fight the spam-bots all by yourself. Wink

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - May 18th, 2012 at 3:04pm
Bill Myers wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 7:36am:
and since JonB seems to be was on duty at this same time

Okay; obviously not so soon since JonB has left the building.  Smiley

As I type this edit, it seems that JonB has left the building

If members don't log out then they will appear to be online even when they are not active, depending on what is set in Admin Center => Advanced Settings => Advanced tab:

Quote:
Time in minutes before users are removed from the Online Log
Affects how long usernames are displayed in the "Users Online" section of the forum's Main Page

So, if Jon hasn't logged out, then he may appear to be online even when he isn't. Wink
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 3:05pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - May 18th, 2012 at 2:49pm
* JonB cyber-sprays Bill with XANAX

Chill, dude!  Wink

Cool

Edited:
Those 'should' not have happened - so I am looking into it - I think the bot may not have logged out when I started swatting/banning. I have re-buried his dog crap

Shocked
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 2:55pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2012 at 7:36am
This is amusing ... spam-bots are spamming this forum as I type this, and since JonB seems to be was on duty at this same time, little do did they know that their posts are soon going to be swatted away.

Okay; obviously not so soon since JonB has left the building.  Smiley

Of course, they're just hit and run spam-bots, so the lot of them won't even know what's happened.

Spam-bots don't have eyes.  Smiley

Edited:
Oh drat! As I type this edit, it seems that JonB has left the building, so the 10 spam posts that have gotten past him I guess will remain until tomorrow.

Oh well. Until this forum decides to utilize some real spam control, we'll just have to get used to spam-bots doing their thing.

Now 11 spam posts as of this edit. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 7:56am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top