Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Locked Topic Attention Spammers Redux (Read 8,397 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Re: Attention Spammers Redux
Reply #30 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:51am
There are no actions to perform.
Yup. Was just thinking out loud. I understand that there may be a lot more to do, just seems that the spam could be a black eye. Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #31 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:54am
Bill - "I" will indeed make that kind of a decision later today, after a bit of introspection.

and - as my attorneys like to say when they make a decision on a course of action  - "govern yourself accordingly"

I guess I should point out that the forum is not full of spam, and what spam there is has a short shelf life, so "I" don't see us as negatively impacted in some huge fashion.  BUT that is "my" opinion. Please remind me (either of you) the last time this forum had more than 5 spam posts?

I'm sure that in your opinion, I did not just make any points.

But I just pointed out reality. The average visitor never sees any spam.

Wink
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 6:56am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #32 - May 19th, 2012 at 7:02am
@ westwegoman -

PLEASE DEFINE WHAT THIS MEANS -
Quote:
full of spammers

AFAIK, in the last 6 ot 7 months there has never been more than one simultaneous spammer -- period, or do you have some screenshots or saved data that says otherwise?

just askin'

Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #33 - May 19th, 2012 at 7:22am
I dont want to start a battle here but I'm just sayin...

Full of spammers--- The membership roster grows everyday and with the type of usernames that are being used, even a head cashier could figure out that it's bots registering to get a link in their profile. I saw it way too often before I had a anti spam mod installed on my forum.

I was simply stating that it didn't seem good for potential future YaBB users to see it. There are also a lot of "this post bas been moved to the spam collection center by" in the forum. Why not just delete them? (also just wondering) It was just an opinion, Nothing against your spam exterminating skills. You do wax them pretty good.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #34 - May 19th, 2012 at 7:39am
westwegoman -

In the past (I have been a GM and Admin less than a year here) the policy was to leave them in place (notices) The move/split/splice tool generates them automatically.  (which is a good thing if its not SPAM)

I decided (on my own) in the last month to do a 'clean-up' afterward - basically because I agree with your point about 'useless messages'. (and nobody told me NOT to clean up)

So we agree on that point.   Smiley

Cool
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 7:41am by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #35 - May 19th, 2012 at 8:45am
The last time this forum had more than 5 spam posts was yesterday when 11 spam posts were online.

Let's please not forget the not so distant past of YaBB's undoing, and it wasn't about its software. I think we can all agree that YaBB is a great forum.

So why did so many people leave?

Part of what "killed" YaBB was the horrible, and unacceptable way a good number of its members were treated in the support forum.

Members were banned for no reason at all; at least no good or truly valid reason.

Support was given rather sarcastically instead of professionally.

So what will happen with YaBB's future? This will depend quite heavily on how YaBB's own support forum operates in its present state.

Will spam posts continue to be allowed?

Will members be banned simply for bringing up what they feel is an important issue?

Will members be "listened" to, treated with respect, and taken seriously?

Time will tell, and YaBB's future will be dependent upon all of these small things that are in reality very important.

Bottom line: The more respected, supportive, and inclusive this forum is, the more it will grow exponentially to reverse its otherwise sad decline.

Edited:
JonB wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 6:54am:
But I just pointed out reality. The average visitor never sees any spam.

Wink

Point well taken.

But please understand where we're coming from, and what others who are silent about this are thinking (as they've shared with me) ... it seems very odd that so many admins can keep spam-bots out of their forums when YaBB's own suppport forum can't seem to stop it.

Something's not right with that picture.  Wink

Installing an anti-spam mod or two won't hurt you. In fact, it might be a good way to see how to better control spam for YaBB's next generation of its forum. Please consider it more seriously.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 9:10am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #36 - May 19th, 2012 at 12:42pm
Most support forums use a vanilla install, however spam fruits is so easy to install and very effective.

It does get monotenous checking new posts and finding junk.

Also I get the impression tempers are getting frayed around the edges regarding this, why not make a statement stating yay or nay to a spam mod.

Bill stop editing your posts, my eyes ain't what they used to be and find it difficult to follow the edits, measure twice cut once  Grin

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #37 - May 19th, 2012 at 2:09pm
OK - here is what I have to say -

A. From a PM sent to Bill & westwagoman
Quote:
That stuff you mock with 'moved posts' - and quick solutions - like delete the user - it serves a purpose.

We have a sample of every 'found spammer'.  complete with IP's, e-mail, usernames, KEYWORDS - all that

So when I say 'blah, blah blah' about how many spammers a month, or how many at a time or how many posts - its not bullshit pulled from my hip pocket.  Its based on facts  

We also adjust constantly almost all the anti-spam controls (which are quite good -- LOL -- just ask Derek)  which is why I know Pandora, UGG and ERGOBaby (and others) won't be back.

Corey and I are quite religious on this -- thus -- for the most part we only get 'one-up' spammers.

Now you may understand where I am

B. I am effectively the only moderator here and this harping is now a major distraction for me. To be accurate - I said I was going to moderate this 'topic/subject'. I'm perfectly within best forum practices when I decide to moderate a topic that is not moving the support forward or detracting from harmony.  I did not say anything about banning. I also have another project where I am a GM, more than one active business to run, and I need to occasionally have a beer.  PLUS -- nota bene - I have been working on YaBB's future very actively for about 10 months now.

C.  Prior to this last spate of criticism, I was already going to propose that the new version of YaBB include BOTH Spam Fruits and Anti-Spam question out of the box, with an installation option to choose one during setup (they would still - of course - both be in the Admin center.  There would be recoding needed to make them options.  As depablo pointed out, Corey's policy is to run a vanilla copy of the 'next release' here.  In fact, implementing a mod here implies it will become part of the core. (It does say "Next Edition" up there, right???) Doing THAT requires the mod author's consent, at least in my personal ethics view.

D. Now, putting two and two together and so forth - some of you might have seen a topic where I asked about installation options, and policies -http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1337207631  Now -- think hard --  What could JonB have been up to with that???

E. There is much much more on the table, and three or four people -- who you may note have not been commenting -- are aware of it.  Since I have been called out now, I may have to spill the beans, I have not yet made a decision.

Finally - a correction - Bill - yesterday - at any time there were no more than six posts from that spammer, as I was deleting them AS he was posting. -- and -- it was not a bot, it was some unfortunate soul, using junk cooked up by another lackey from the F'ed up world of Spam and SEO. I know you have not thought through what is required to make an auto-post as you are not a programmer.  So please accept that "I" may have thought it through.  Besides, IF all the bots that auto-register could do anything; they would have, and then we would have a real problem and the forum would be full of spam.  But we don't and it isn't, right?

Now, can we please leave this alone for a while and let me get on with my project -
'JonB's Complete and Therapeutic Patent Elixir for Flagging Forums'. '
Guaranteed to provide more boost than 2.5 Hour Energy or Red Bull @ 1/2 the cost'.  
Shocked

OKAY???
Wink
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 6:25pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #38 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:17pm
Bill - any further comments on this topic may ONLY be made directly to Corey Chapman in a Topic dedicated to that issue - for instance "Why Bill thinks you should install an anti-spam module now".

The reason is obvious - it is his choice, not mine. I won't delete your 'special topic', and anyone can comment in that thread.  Is that fair?

Any other postings on this subject matter are over.

Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #39 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:39pm
JonB wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 4:17pm:
Bill - any further comments on this topic may ONLY be made directly to Corey Chapman in a Topic dedicated to that issue - for instance "Why Bill thinks you should install an anti-spam module now".

The reason is obvious - it is his choice, not mine. I won't delete your 'special topic', and anyone can comment in that thread.  Is that fair?

Any other postings on this subject matter are over.

Smiley

So let me get this straight. In a topic called "Attention Spammers" we can't have a discussion about installing an anti-spam mod?

Okay.  Roll Eyes

What you're doing isn't fair. It's weird and sad, but reasonable enough I guess. Thanks for at least being reasonable about it (waiting for the next shoe to drop).

Just so everyone knows, unless of course JonB removes this post of mine as well, or censors it, he just removed two previous posts that I made in this topic. I have copies of what I posted because I suspected he might do something like this short of banning me, which is really what I was expecting. But what's the point of reposting the copies anyway?

After all, I don't mind JonB's censorship so much as I minded the fact that an apology I made to depablo was also removed. That wasn't very nice.

So this might be an interesting way to operate this forum. Some members can post where they want, when it's obviously appropriate, and others can only post in a place that I guess only JonB will allow.

Okay. Roll Eyes

I wonder if I'm the only one being censored?  I leave you back to King JonB. Sheesh! Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #40 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:50pm
By the way, and I'm actually being serious here, would it help if I took off for a couple of weeks? I can do that for you if you'd like.

I'd rather not leave permanently, but if I'm not welcomed here, then what's the point of me participating?

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #41 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Bill Myers wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 4:50pm:
but if I'm not welcomed here, then what's the point of me participating?

Well I for one look forward to your essays, edits and quotes  Grin

Chill out Bill your an okay bloke getting caught up in the spam debate, you have made your point and I am sure behind the scenes folk are listening to you  Wink

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #42 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:58pm
depablo wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 4:55pm:
Bill Myers wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 4:50pm:
but if I'm not welcomed here, then what's the point of me participating?

Well I for one look forward to your essays, edits and quotes  Grin

Chill out Bill your an okay bloke getting caught up in the spam debate, you have made your point and I am sure behind the scenes folk are listening to you  Wink

Right you are, and thanks for your comments.

I've been been getting some nice support in email, which makes me feel a lot better about things.
I wonder if I can take a chill pill with coffee?  Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #43 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:10pm
Let me point out the topic -

YaBB Chat and Support Community › Yet another Bulletin Board › YaBB News and Announcements › Attention Spammers
ANNOUNCEMENTS - NOT discussion -

I should have locked the topic when I posted it - my bad.  NOTE this is an announcement topic "I" started. In the past Corey was the only one who could post in Announcements, look who the moderator is.

That is really what my point is from a moderation view of things.  This is not a place for discussions or polls. I am going to fix it.

Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #44 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Right you are, JonB. Sorry!

I just got caught up in the conversation, and didn't realize we should be chatting it up in another topic. My bad.

Oh, and feel free to delete this post if you feel the need. I just wanted to publicly acknowledge your good point.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top