Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Maximum size? (Read 5,736 times)
media116
YaBB Newcomer

Maximum size?
Dec 13th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Post Tools
I've been with you since 2005 and have had a few issues with how big our forum is. Is there a maximum size, beyond which it all gets hopeless? I don't want to move to something different, I'm really happy with YaBB but we've just had yet another wobble on the server and I'm terrified of losing all the information we've accrued. As you can tell, I'm not v technical but the IT guys know nothing about forums. Is it all maybe a server issue? Nothing to do with the software?

Our users have made 119429 Posts within 14645 Topics and we have  8179 registered members. The site is affiliated to a magazine, so I don't want to go through and clear a lot of old posts etc, it's all useful reference material. We are currently running V2.4

Any suggestions gratefully received!

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Maximum size?
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 2:49am
Post Tools
First, make sure either you or the techs are doing proper backups - that way even if things to go south on the server, you have the information zipped up and safe.

And although THIS forum doesn't have as many posts as yours, we're pretty sure most of its issues are server related (well, techs do have a habit of playing with things until they break but that's a different story.  Wink)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

media116
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 3:01am
Post Tools
Thanks for replying. It's much quieter here than it used to be  Shocked

I think that if I can go to IT and tell them what the forum needs to be stable and expandable, they will do it. I've been reading around and from what I can gather it's YaBB's flat files that can be an issue for servers. What does a server need to do/be to solve this?

IP Logged

media116
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 3:03am
Post Tools
Sorry, I don't seem to have a Modify option. I forgot to say, I'm in the middle of downloading the whole thing just so I have it in case it breaks in the next day or so. I will be finding out how to do regular backups too, and actually doing them, as opposed to IT, who have NOT been doing them! Grin

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 3:45am
Post Tools
In the admin center the Backup facility can be set to remind you to back things up. Also IT should be able to set up an automatic backup for you since what you need is the yabb2 directory and its sub-directories (actually, you can probably get away with just the Members and Messages sub-directories on a daily basis.)

As to where the resource bottle-necks are, Corey or one of the other guys will have a better handle on that than I do.

IP Logged

media116
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 3:53am
Post Tools
Thank you.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 8:59am
Post Tools
media116 wrote on Dec 13th, 2011 at 9:11pm:
... Any suggestions gratefully received!

As for backing up your YaBB forum, as with any other data that you should back up regularly, my suggestion is for you to use the Cobian backup software, which is free. YaBB's backup function seems to be problematic, and evidently takes a lot of your server's resources to run it.

Alternately, as I recently learned from Corey, an even better backup program might be the Fbackup program, which is also free.

Just so you know about the edit function here, it's not available for me either; at least not presently. We have to remember that this forum is using a beta version, so because of that we have to live with a lot of bugs. I don't get it, but that's the way it is here.

Edited:
Okay ... the edit function is obviously working for me.  Shocked

In any case, especially if the powers to be want to make YaBB look impressive, and attract some needed talent to take things to the next level, my suggestion is to only run a stable version of YaBB until the newest version is ready for primetime. Otherwise, things here might seem a little amateurish.

Please don't take my suggestion lightly. I'm trying to help here.  Cool

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011 at 9:01am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 7:56pm
Post Tools
Mine was fine up to 1,000,000 posts, 90,000 thread, 10,000 users.

The problem, at this size, was search - more than 1 simultaneous search would cause the server to keel over. And occasional corruption. Trouble with corruption at that size is it takes over an hour to run all the index fixes.

My backups were done via a simple hourly cron job doing a tar and gzip of the entire forum.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 7:57pm
Post Tools
Should add, I outgrew YaBB2.5, so had to turn to the dark side (SMF).

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 6:05am
Post Tools
The Boy had it in his post - One million - that's a one with six zeros behind it. (And do you REALLY want us to know where you live?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools