Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Install on a new server (Read 1,982 times)
tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Install on a new server
Dec 20th, 2011 at 1:08am
Post Tools
The worst thing has happened and the host I was with has locked my account (long story) and now all I have is my backups and I want to move to a new host (of course).

When I have set up a new hosting account - how do I proceed (I am not very IT savvie).

I think I have to install Yabb and then restore my latest backup - Is that it and is there a tutorial on "How To"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony - Australia

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Install on a new server
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 1:55am
Post Tools
tonyevans wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 1:08am:
The worst thing has happened and the host I was with has locked my account (long story) and now all I have is my backups and I want to move to a new host (of course).

When I have set up a new hosting account - how do I proceed (I am not very IT savvie).

I think I have to install Yabb and then restore my latest backup - Is that it and is there a tutorial on "How To"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony - Australia

Edited:
Recommendation: Go straight to Jon's post here (the one after this post of mine), and follow his instructions. When you get on a new server, I'm hoping for the best.

Edited:
This block of text in no longer applicable.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you can get onto a new server in a timely fashion.

I'm back to being pretty green about the installation of YaBB since I haven't had any practice, but at least with YaBB 2.4 the following link should help:

http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?board=linux

When our company moved its domains to a new server almost two years ago I think it was, I believe the tech department simply used a backup copy to move everything over, which included a YaBB chat forum on one of the domains. In other words, a fresh installation of YaBB wasn't necessary. Fortunately, everything worked out just fine, so the forum reappeared seemlessly on the new server.

Still, your idea to install Yabb, and then restore your latest backup seems like the better way to go ... less likely to have anything go wrong.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:39pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Post Tools
The links in the Codex are useful, but I can cut to the chase for you -

On your new host, do a complete clean installation of the same YaBB version you were running on the old host.  You didn't mention the version, and that is critical.  If the version is "too old', no one here may be able to help you debug, me included.  I'll wait judgment on your response. Generally 2.3.1, 2.4 an 2.5AE share most of the same code, and most of the security fixes are in them, and they mostly have up-to-date mod's and anti-spam tools for them.

Make sure everything works, including registration, e-mail for notifications and password changes.  Make sure you can post to the General and Test boards that come with a clean install. By default you should be able to attach a file in the test board, see if that works.

Once everything is 'right'. take a YaBB Backup.

IF you had 'mods' installed, now is the right time to reintroduce them.  They may well have changed your data structure, and a 'clean board' may not work with your modified data.

When things are copacetic and backed up, its time to restore the 'data only'.

Read this Codex Article
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674425

Of course, depending on how the backup was made, and restored - you should check file permissions on all the files you upload.

CHMOD:
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190660838

Don't forget to restore yabbfiles/Attachments as well.

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 6:57am
Post Tools
Thanks - I was running 2.3.1 and my backups are full backups made with the YABB backup as it was set-up when installed.

I would like to update to 2.5 if that is possible while doing all of this. I have a new server account now with WebMe and am ready to get going ASAP.

Tony

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 2:12pm
Post Tools
OK, that's the fresh start, isn't it? - Good Luck Wink

Personally, I would begin with re-installing, then getting your Forum back to where it was and functional.  Lastly, I would tackle the upgrade (it won't be major).

In a case like this what I might do is - 'presume' you will make it to the 2.5AE version, and make my folders on a new server accordingly.

cgi-bin
  yabb23  <= restore files to here via upload
  yabb  <= plan on using this for YaBB 2.5
public_html
  yabb23files <= restore files to here via upload
  yabbfiles <= plan on using this for YaBB 2.5

then (presumably) your URL's will be as they were previously

Good Luck and Happy Holidays
Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2011 at 2:21pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 12:38am
Post Tools
OK - I have version 2.3.1 up and running on WebMe so now how do I do the backup?

Do I just replace files with the ones in my backup zip file or is that just too easy - Tony

PS - I have tried searching but it says it is not available and the Codex page for back-up and restore does not have anything about Restore???????????

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:25pm
Post Tools
If you download copies of Members, Messages, Boards, and Variables folders from your YaBB folder, you have backed up your forum. If your forum goes down because of a technical issue, reinstall YaBB from the source and put these folders back into the forum and your site should be back up and running!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools