YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Topic Tools

ggn's YaBB CAPTCHA hack (Read 11,173 times)
 Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:18am
There are no actions to perform.  

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
Re: ggn's YaBB CAPTCHA hack
This will be a standard feature in the next release - Admin editable:

http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl?num=1357163985/0#0

Thanks to ggn for the input - I hope he doesn't mind. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:26am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged  
 Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 7:02am

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
And many many thanks to Derek for coding it for us.  Smiley

IP Logged  
 Reply #17 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:44pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Based on ggn's previous remarks about his anti-spam hack when he learned people were using it, I'm sure he'd not only be thrilled, but quite honored that you implemented this.

You people rock! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:40pm

ggn 
YaBB Newbie

None
Hey, I come back to this thread after a busy year only to be greeted by this:

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:18am:
This will be a standard feature in the next release - Admin editable:

http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl?num=1357163985/0#0

Thanks to ggn for the input - I hope he doesn't mind. Smiley

which is quite cool!

Bill Myers wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:44pm:
Based on ggn's previous remarks about his anti-spam hack when he learned people were using it, I'm sure he'd not only be thrilled, but quite honored that you implemented this.

You people rock! Smiley

What Bill said! I'm really glad and honoured it will be implemented in the next yabb version (which I await eagerly for a long time now Smiley).

(Funny how sometimes the simplest ideas just work; I was getting prepared to accept that the spambots would just adapt to my captcha trick and register anyway so I'd have to insert more booby traps like dashes in the middle of the captcha etc. Thankfully I didn't have to do any of this!)

IP Logged  
 Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:56pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
ggn wrote on Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:40pm:
(Funny how sometimes the simplest ideas just work; I was getting prepared to accept that the spambots would just adapt to my captcha trick and register anyway so I'd have to insert more booby traps like dashes in the middle of the captcha etc. Thankfully I didn't have to do any of this!)

A simple idea perhaps, and yet it's really quite brilliant!

I too thought that I'd have to be changing the "XX" additions to our automatically generated CAPTCHA, but to my surprise, I haven't needed to touch a thing in all of this time. Go figure.

After I finally learned how to use BoardMod, I installed Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question Mod (with his comprehensive help), and then Carsten's Spamfruits.

Shortly after that I decided to do away with CAPTCHA altogether.

Somewhere along with way I must have messed up something on my end with the Anti-Spam Question Mod because it stopped working. But Spamfruits on its own was doing just fine.

After a while, some spammers were somehow getting through, so I re-implemented CAPTCHA again, which of course had already been configured with your anti-spam hack. Once again, spammers were stopped cold.

That did the trick! Ironically, it turns out that your anti-spam hack was the only anti-spam measure I ever actually needed.

But I like how pretty Carsten's Spamfruits looks, and it still keeps out many spam-bot registrations, so I'm still using that as well.

At some point when I figure out how to fix what I must have messed up with Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod, I may also use that again as well. It's a wonderfully designed mod that can be easily modified.

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:53pm

suparag 
YaBB Newbie

None
I have installed ggn's XX captcha mod, and it has been a week, no fake registrations at all.

I have never managed to get Boardmod work, at a later point I might install the spamfruit and Anti-spam question mods.

Thanks again GGN.

Suparag

IP Logged  
 Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:18pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Both Carsten's SpamFruits and Derek Barnstorm's Anti-spam question come pre-installed in 2.5.2 and the captcha hack will be part of 2.5.4 along with some nifty admin control features.  Smiley

IP Logged  
 Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:32pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
suparag wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:53pm:
I have installed ggn's XX captcha mod, and it has been a week, no fake registrations at all.

I have never managed to get Boardmod work, at a later point I might install the spamfruit and Anti-spam question mods.

Thanks again GGN.

Suparag

Congratulations! That anti-spam hack of ggn's is quite effective. Cool

As for BoardMod, there is one important step that's missing in its instructions that is crucial to making it work, which I'm pretty sure is why so many people have difficulty with it.

I've already forgotten what that missing step is except that is has something to do with creating a folder so that you can find the mod(s) you've downloaded. Otherwise, and obviously, BoardMod won't work.

In other words, if I'm remembering this correctly, you would create a 2.4 folder to download/transfer 2.4 mods into, and so on, and so forth.

Thankfully, Derek Barnstorm went out of his way with patience, and step-by-step instructions to help me install his Anti-Spam Question mod. He practically installed it himself.

Then I had BoardMod figured out. With the excpetion of me misreading some of the instructions, which I think Carsten helped to straighten me out on that, I was very easily able to install his SpamFruits mod.

One of the things I like most about the BoardMod program is that it also provides step-by-step manual instructions, which is incredibly helpful when trying to figure out how it all works.

Edited:
Carsten's instructions are complete, and of course accurate:

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:28pm:
And here's the link for anybody who is having difficulties:

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1322256476

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:48am by Bill Myers »  
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #23 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:28pm

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:32pm:
As for BoardMod, there is one important step that's missing in its instructions that is crucial to making it work, which I'm pretty sure is why so many people have difficulty with it.

I've already forgotten what that missing step is except that is has something to do with creating a folder so that you can find the mod(s) you've downloaded. Otherwise, and obviously, BoardMod won't work.

In other words, if I'm remembering this correctly, you would create a 2.4 folder to download/transfer 2.4 mods into, and so on, and so forth.

IP Logged  
 Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:42am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Re: ggn's YaBB CAPTCHA hack - included in YaBB 2.5.4
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:28pm:

That, along with the video below is invaluable! Smiley

The cool thing about John's video is that it can be sized up to a big screen, and best of all, it can be paused, and rewinded as needed. Along with his other inavulable videos, I've saved this one on my laptop for a quick reference.
Smiley

To put a smile on your face, here's what I just got after refreshing the preview for this post (kind of makes the Refresh Preview option useless unless you ready your posts perfectly all the time, and don't need or want to preview them):

Quote:
System Information

Posting this fast is considered spamming, you are warned!
You are only allowed 3 more attempt(s) after which you will be banned as spammer!

If I ever get banned here again ... yes it has happened before ... you can find me over at Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum. Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:53am by Bill Myers »  
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #25 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:29am

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Live Preview works for 'normal' things - like posts without videos.  Wink

And, assuming YaBB Next works like it should, the speed posting ban should be around 5 minutes, not permanent.

IP Logged  
 Reply #26 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:44am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Right. The only time I use Preview is when I have a video in a post. Otherwise, my preference is to use Live Preview.

Particularly with spammers, it makes sense to ban them for speed posting because that's how spam-bots usually operate.

The irony about enabling anti-spam measures is that it's not uncommon for admins to be so restrictive that it makes their forums very user unfriendly. I've seen the noise in a CAPTCHA rendering so noisy that it's almost impossible to read. The end result is that, and I'm exaggerating, only spam-bot automation is able to decifer the CAPTCHA. Very ironic!

With ggn's anti-spam hack that Derek Barnstorm was generous enough to author for YaBB, CAPTCHA doesn't need to utilize any noise, so it can be easily read.

On the note of spammers, I just noticed that Stop Forum Spam uses "KEY CAPTCHA" to help stop spam-bots (example on this page). Interesting.

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #27 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:58pm

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:44am:
On the note of spammers, I just noticed that Stop Forum Spam uses "KEY CAPTCHA" to help stop spam-bots (example on this page). Interesting.

I'll make a KeyCAPTCHA mod for YaBB as soon as I'm not so busy with the next release. Smiley

IP Logged  
 Reply #28 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 5:46pm

Elrick 
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers
Edge of the Abyss

YaBB 2.5
I can confirm this CAPTCHA hack works a treat on YaBB 2.5AE – tested and confirmed –
However, I did not change the files:

cgi-bin/yabb2/Languages/English/LogInOut.lng
cgi-bin/yabb2/Languages/English/Post.lng
cgi-bin/yabb2/Languages/English/SendTopic.lng

as in my forums CAPTCHA is not required for Login, Post or SendTopic (Send to a friend).

Very many thanks to Ggn, George and Bill for the clear instructions, specially to Ggn for his creativity and brilliant idea!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2013 at 5:48pm by Elrick »  
~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged  
 Reply #29 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:08am

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:58pm:
KeyCAPTCHA

that is like PlayThru link to this http://areyouahuman.com/  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
Pages: 1 2 3 
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.