Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic PM Notification Email switches off (Read 1,169 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: PM Notification Email switches off
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:06am
Post Tools
Martin.W wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 7:24am:
... I will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.  The time interval seems to match that of the backups I do using the yabb backup - I wonder if it is this causing it - I will check next time I run it.

Interesting. Please let us know if this is what's happening. I'm curious about it.

I don't use YaBB's backup feature because I don't feel comfortable about its reliability. Instead, I simply back up YaBB just as I back up all of my computer's data; with the free & easy-to-use Cobian Backup software.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Martin.W

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 7:24am
Post Tools
Thanks, yep, I am definantly saving the settings and setting them correctly, the PM notifications then work again for myself and members (and my test accounts - I have one for each member group).

I don't think it can be the host reverting to backups, as nothing else seems to vanish on the forum in terms of posts etc.

I will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.  The time interval seems to match that of the backups I do using the yabb backup - I wonder if it is this causing it - I will check next time I run it.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:11am
Post Tools
Martin.W wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:11am:
YaBB 2.3

One of my members asked why I had stopped the forum from sending emails out when new PM's came in.  On looking in the admin centre I could see it had been disabled and so re-enabled it. (check box).

A couple weeks later I notice it is off again and so turn it back on and all works once more.

Again, days later, it no longer works and needs turning on again.

This has happened several times now, and it is not being turned off manually!

I can't find this as a bug while searching this forum (although the search keeps crashing on me), and wondered if it was a known bug or not?).

I cannot pin point what is causing it to turn itself off  Embarrassed
Thanks for any info.

Have you checked to see the section that reads, "Enable Private Messaging for" and made sure that you're allowing "Members" to get private messages? There are 4 choices there, starting with (None) as a choice. Checking the box to allow for email notifications will only work if you set it correctly.

By the way, it's a good idea to always have one or more test memberships that you control so that you can see what your members see when you're not logged on as an admin. You can test private messaging, etc.  Wink

Lastly, and I know this may seem simplistic, but after you check that box, are you sure you're saving the change? To check whether or not you've saved the change, after clicking the Save icon, get out of AdminCenter, and then go back in again to see if that change actually took place. It's possible that your change was never actually made. Or rather; never actually saved.

Just thinking aloud here.  Huh

Edited:
Edited for spelling errors.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:40am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
Hi Martin,

Is there a chance that your host might have had problems, and have been reverting your forum to a previous back-up? It's the only thing that I can think of right now that would explain it. Undecided
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:26pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Martin.W

PM Notification Email switches off
Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:11am
Post Tools
YaBB 2.3

One of my members asked why I had stopped the forum from sending emails out when new PM's came in.  On looking in the admin centre I could see it had been disabled and so re-enabled it. (check box).

A couple weeks later I notice it is off again and so turn it back on and all works once more.

Again, days later, it no longer works and needs turning on again.

This has happened several times now, and it is not being turned off manually!

I can't find this as a bug while searching this forum (although the search keeps crashing on me), and wondered if it was a known bug or not?).

I cannot pin point what is causing it to turn itself off  Embarrassed

Thanks for any info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top