Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Anyone else frustrated? (Read 1,114 times)
The Boy

Re: Anyone else frustrated?
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 7:56pm
Post Tools
Its an open source project with no income. Programmed and supported entirely by willing volunteers scattered around the globe.

So I think its unreasonable to expect a telephone support line - who would pay for the lines? The staff? The infrastructure?

If you need that level of support, perhaps you need to look at commercial, expensive products which also offer maintenence contracts with defined SLAs.

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:14am
Post Tools
As a newbie to YaBB (started in October) I can tell you that I was very frustrated my first couple of days.

Not with YaBB though, entirely with myself. I haven't done any message board programming for about 5 years when I had my 2nd child. I let my WWWboard boards go to the spam weed field.

I recently decided to start again and chose YaBB mainly because it was sitting in my Cpanel software install section.

It was a learning curve from the start, needed and still needs much tweeking and adjusting.

What I did find with YaBB was a well basic intact unit open to reprogramming to my needs and likes.

The support is there, but yes, YOU need to reach out and be patient for it.

I haven't done any major programming for about 15 years now and am totally enjoying the challenges and ideas that I am rediscovering about what ignites my brainware besides crossword puzzles. 

You probably just want it to work for you. I do too, but I actually enjoy when it isn't working and I get to  fix it by myself.

So, I just spent the entire day yesterday fighting a variable war, what I got out of that was a tutorial on the differences between C and Perl and how similar they are also.

Accept the challenge, ask for help, enjoy what comes your way.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 7:53am
Post Tools
beanski6 wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 5:22am:
Anyone else here frustrated by the lack of direct (human) support provided by YaBB?  I have inadvertently changed a pathway and now I can't even get into my YaBB forum that I had set up.  I can't find anywhere here where I can call a person for technical support.

I feel your pain! I've been there myself. Cry

Pretty much like any other online support forum, YaBB is really no different than any other support forum, i.e., generally speaking you'll get support in a timely fashion. But human nature the way it is, when we need support, we need it yesterday, so waiting for that support can be frustrating.

Not to rub salt in your wound of frustration, but I noticed you typed your post above only 3 minutes after you asked for support here in the forum.  Roll Eyes

In any case, like Derek mentioned here, if you can try to be more specific about inadvertently changing a pathway, then maybe more people who can lend support will be forthcoming with possible answers.

Did you mean you may have inadvertently changed one of your Path Settings, i.e., one of the Absolute Path to your main YaBB directory settings?

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012 at 7:54am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

beanski6
YaBB Newcomer

Anyone else frustrated?
Jan 5th, 2012 at 5:22am
Post Tools
Anyone else here frustrated by the lack of direct (human) support provided by YaBB?  I have inadvertently changed a pathway and now I can't even get into my YaBB forum that I had set up.  I can't find anywhere here where I can call a person for technical support.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top