Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic SOPA protest (Read 150 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
SOPA protest
Jan 8th, 2012 at 4:40pm
Post Tools
For those who have been under a rock, in a monastery, whatever... SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) goes to a vote in the US Congress on Jan 24.

While the title seems innocuous enough and the bill alleges to protect US web sites, in function, this act may allow ANYONE to file a copyright complaint against ANY SITE hosted outside the U.S. and block them from being accessed in the U.S. This includes sites that are using copyrighted materials under Fair Use Laws of their own country.

This law will also make sites in the U.S. that - even though they themselves contain no 'protected material' - may have links to such material subject to being blocked as well. Which means that any forum could be shut down without due process on the allegation that a member posted an 'illegal' link to an alleged pirate site.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidgorodyansky/2011/12/16/sopa/
http://ammori.org/2011/12/31/sopapipa-copyright-bills-also-target-domestic-sites...
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2012 at 4:56pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: SOPA protest
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 5:52pm
Post Tools
Thanks for posting this comment and the links.

I think Dandello has made the 'it makes censorship too easy' argument through her accurate comments.  I agree with that premise. Fair disclosure - I am a developer of Human Rights research software, and a democracy advocate.

I'll make a different argument - its against the economic interests of the USA.

I'll start by saying "When U.S. Senators are for something that has to do with Technology, you can bet a lot of lobbying money was spent, as 'THEY' (the Senators) surely don't have a clue".  In this case the grease, errr money, ahhhh lobbying effort is courtesy of the entertainment industry, unions, pharmaceutical companies, and the Business Software Alliance.  Anything that coalition backs cannot be good for you and me.

Personally I am a producer of both 'content' (which gets pirated) and more traditional IP - research and original software (which also get pirated).  So my 'personal' interests would seem to be protected by SOPA. I don't feel that way.

What I see is an over-reach by Congress, and a way to make sure that we kill off some tech leadership the US still has.  The fact is that much of the Internet experience is still shaped in the US of A.  One thing we have the lead in is the 'infrastructure side' and here I'm referring to the really 'gritty' details of internet commerce. Note I said internet commerce not 'ecommerce' (although we lead in that too).

The only reason this bill is practicable, is that the US leads all others in the area of domain registrars, top tier ISP's and CDN's.  I won't say that will all disappear overnight, but there will be a huge incentive for companies and their clients doing business with US Based providers of those arcane services to move all that offshore if SOPA goes through.

Great idea there, Congressmen/women.  I hope the rounds of golf in Bermuda and the crab legs and champagne will assuage your conscience.  (well, I guess I don't have to worry too much on that accord, eh?  Lips Sealed)

Send a letter/email/call your Senators/Representative if you feel that your Internet experience will be diminished through Congressional meddling.  (what isn't?)

just my 2˘ worth, and that is not much  Grin

Cool

SOPA links:

http://news.dice.com/2011/12/27/godaddy-backs-down/

http://news.yahoo.com/beware-lobbyist-backed-sopa-192200114.html

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/11/22/apple-and-microsoft-backed-bsa-acknowle...

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Post Tools

I'm in favor of stopping online piracy, but not with what I presume is the well intentioned SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act).

I've always had a lot of my work pirated, but SOPA is just too poorly written.  Shocked

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
I think we all agree that online and digital piracy is a bad thing if only because it prevents the owners of intellectual property from profiting from their work.

However, SOPA is certainly not the way to do it. A better method would be to create - internationally  - a set of uniform and enforceable laws that define 'Fair Use' and the rights of individuals to own and profit from what they have created and penalties for those who steal that property. 

But until every country signs on to actively fighting this type of piracy instead of rewarding the pirates, no one's intellectual property rights are safe. And no 'USA only' laws are going to change that.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 1:37am
Post Tools
I totally agree Dandello - particularly about the 'USA only' part.

But I am unsure if we can convince "the world's workshop" to abandon a large part of their economic model.  Not to mention the bigger challenge of making this a 'world of laws'.  Sadly, many governments are wont to embrace what Westerners (primarily) see as economic justice.

But we do have to work on it, I don't see any panaceas beckoning other than the despised 'carrot and stick' of long-term diplomacy and trade negotiations.

Roll Eyes

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 4:44am
Post Tools
There are no easy fixes and all we can do it keep plugging away at fixing our little corners of the world. Of course, the corporate bullies aren't helping make things better.  Sad

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 3:59pm
Post Tools
For those who forgot - today (Jan 18, 2012) is the day of the Internet strike. If you have not already done so, sopastrike.com has a js app that will do it for you:
Code (Javascript)
Select All
<script type="text/javascript">var a=new Date,b=a.getUTCHours();if(0==a.getUTCMonth()&&2012==a.getUTCFullYear()&&((18==a.getUTCDate()&&13<=b)||(19==a.getUTCDate()&&0>=b)))window.location="http://sopastrike.com/strike";</script> 

For a forum, copy and paste it above the header in Templates/whichever/default.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo