Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic recent posts 1.4 vs 2.5 (Read 1,807 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: recent posts 1.4 vs 2.5
Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:10pm:
Thanks for the clarification. I think I get it now. Oddly enough, I don't remember YaBB 1.4 doing this

I couldn't remember it myself. I had to download the 1.4 code to have a look. Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:10pm:
I guess what it comes down to is what an admin wants, which will hopefully please most of the people most of the time.

Yep. Hopefully. Smiley

There's a problem with the change I posted anyway - it looks like it will take more changes than I thought. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:43pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:10pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:10pm:
Bill, they mean how it used to be done in 1.4 - it used to only return the last post from each thread:

Code (Perl)
Select All
                while( <FILE> ) { $message = $_; }
                # get only the last post for this thread. 

Smiley

I've made the edit on my demos board if you want to check it out:

http://ibrainstorm.net/modemos/forum/YaBB.pl?action=recent

You'll see that only the last post from each topic is displayed.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I get it now. Oddly enough, I don't remember YaBB 1.4 doing this, which I kept for as long as only a couple of years ago when I finally upgraded to YaBB 2.4 - had to because of all the spam that used to get through.

In any case, thanks for the link to your test forum so that I could see what you meant. Very cool.

My personal preference is to have recent posts show up as YaBB 2.4 was implemented although I've changed the default to the most recent posts showing up first.

I guess what it comes down to is what an admin wants, which will hopefully please most of the people most of the time.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:54pm
Post Tools
Actually, I've just noticed a bit of a problem with the code in reply #1 - it doesn't pick up the post number when clicking on the thread link. I'll have to look into it a little more...
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:56pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:10pm
Post Tools
Bill, they mean how it used to be done in 1.4 - it used to only return the last post from each thread:

Code (Perl)
Select All

Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:23pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:59pm
Post Tools
Slavcho wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:54pm:
Hi,

From the feedback after upgrading, it seems our users like more how the recent posts feature worked in version 1.4 - showing only the last post from recently updated topics instead of all recent posts. Is there some option in the YaBB settings to enable the v1.4-like recent posts, or copying old code is the only way to get that back?

Thanks,
Slavcho
Mindfusion

Best Answer:
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:10pm:

Code (Perl)
Select All

Smiley

Edited:
In case it might otherwise help, I left intact my original post below.

At least in YaBB 2.4 ...

If you mean that you prefer to only have the most recent post show rather than all recent posts, or a set number of posts, you can set the number of recent posts as you like by going to the Admin Center, then Advanced Settings, and then Advanced. You'll see the following:

Maximum number of messages returned on Recent Posts by Forum and by User?
-1 will disable Recent Posts

But I must be misunderstanding what you mean since it seems odd to me that you'd want members to only see the last, and most recent post versus the number of posts they might otherwise choose to view.

IMHO, I believe the more options you give members, the better they will feel about using your forum overall. In other words, the less restrictions you put on them, the more user friendly your forum will be; up to a reasonable point of course.

On the other hand, if you mean your members and guest users would prefer it if the most recent post of any given topic is the first post they see versus having to go to the last page to view the most recent posts, then you can change this as well.

So you'd go to Forum Settings in Admin Center, and in the Posting section you'd look for the following:

Reverse Topic Summaries in Topic, so that latest post is at top? (Default order! See next checkbox ...)

Whether or not you change this default, members can do this on their own by editing their profile if you check the following option:

Allow users to select the order Topics Summaries are displayed in?

Hint: If you aren't already doing this, I suggest that you maintain, and occasionally use a regular member account versus only using your admin account so that you can see what others see when they use your forum. I also suggest that you occasionally look at your forum simply as a guest so that you can see what your forum looks like when new people visit.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:13pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:26pm
Post Tools
Hi Slavcho ,

There's not an option in the settings, but this should do the trick for you:

In Sources/Recent.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        @mess = <REC_THRETXT>; 

And replace with:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        while (<REC_THRETXT>) { @mess = $_; } 

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:27pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Slavcho
YaBB Newcomer

recent posts 1.4 vs 2.5
Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:54pm
Post Tools
Hi,

From the feedback after upgrading, it seems our users like more how the recent posts feature worked in version 1.4 - showing only the last post from recently updated topics instead of all recent posts. Is there some option in the YaBB settings to enable the v1.4-like recent posts, or copying old code is the only way to get that back?

Thanks,
Slavcho
Mindfusion

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top