Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate (Read 4,766 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate
Reply #17 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 3:13pm
Post Tools
Could do with testing...

For the server side check, in Sources/Profile.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
            if ((lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $member{'name'}) eq lc $member{'name'}) && (lc $member{'name'} ne lc $member{'username'})) { &fatal_error('name_taken',"($member{'name'})"); } 

And replace with:

Code (Perl)
Select All
            if ((lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $member{'name'}) eq lc $member{'name'}) && (lc $member{'name'} ne lc ${$uid.$user}{'realname'}) && (lc $member{'name'} ne lc $member{'username'})) { &fatal_error('name_taken',"($member{'name'})"); } 

And for the Ajax check, in Sources/UserSelect.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        if (lc $INFO{'display'} eq lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $INFO{'display'})) { 

And replace with:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        if ((lc $INFO{'display'} eq lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $INFO{'display'})) && (lc $INFO{'display'} ne lc ${$uid.$username}{'realname'})) { 

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:17am
Post Tools
Okay, after some testing ...

I got the error message after changing a name, but the name change took place anyway; at least for a new name. However, I couldn't go back to the old/original name.

Still, I was able to change the name again to a 3rd name even though I got the error message again. After all, it was a new name. However, as with my first test, I couldn't go back to either one of the old/original names.

My solution: I used a backup copy of that particular member to edit in the first/original name, uploaded it back onto the server, and that fixed everything. Both of the newer names had evidently been deleted, so only the first/original name remained.

Oh, I also uploaded edited backups of memberlist.txt and memberinfo.txt to the server.

So, I guess if a problem with the renaming of a username comes up, rather than use the YaBB software (since it doesn't work as it should), the editing of the associated *.var file from a local copy should do, and uploading that file to the server should work. I suppose, too, updating the corrected memberlist.txt and memberinfo.txt files should be part of this process.

Caution: Take what I say here with a grain of salt, and remember too that I'm referring to the 2.4 version of YaBB.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:19am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:45pm
Post Tools
I can trigger the same error message in 2.5 by changing the Display name to a different spelling in the box and forgetting to save the changes.

If the name change hasn't been saved, then, of course the info in memberinfo.txt hasn't changed - and that's what's being checked against.

As an experiment, trigger the error message and then see if the .vars file has been changed at all AND look in memberinfo.txt. They should change together.

Another remote possibility is if you're running the Display Name History Mod. It's just possible (I have not tested this) that it might maybe possibly interfere with changing the Display Name back to an 'old' version. (Although it shouldn't.)
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:54pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:40pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:05pm:
I think this is something that simply needs to go into User Helps as it's actually a security feature they're running up against.

Thanks for that tip, and reminder. Among other things as I've done before, I guess I can put this in the User Help section of our 2.4 YaBB forum.

JonB wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:16am:
In 2.5AE, if a user changes the case of characters in his/her  Display Name, but does not alter the spelling - the duplicate displayname check is triggered, and they will not be able to save the change. The workaround is to change the spelling, then change again to the desired 'corrected case' spelling.

Cool

Unfortunately in YaBB 2.4 this workaround doesn't work. What you get is the following error message:

System Information

This displayed name is already in use by another member. (Test Account)

It doesn't matter what case is used. Once a change has been made to an existing account, trying to change it again to the original name with the chosen case produces that error message above.   Sad

In the test account I used, I could only get the desired result after I deleted the account, and registered it again. I suppose this could be done for members who request it, but what about their PMs, posts, etc.? Maybe make a backup copy of them before a deletion is made, delete that account, register it again with a corrected case, and then add their information back to make it whole again, including the date and time they initially registered?
Edited:
Or maybe the easier/better way would be to simply change/correct the *.var file of that account, no?

Well, either that, or this bug could be fixed.  Wink

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:48pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:05pm
Post Tools
And it still compares lowercase to lowercase while changing an existing Display name.  Wink

I think this is something that simply needs to go into User Helps as it's actually a security feature they're running up against.

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:45am
Post Tools
hm, in YaBB 3 Beta 3 we have already add a Displayname and Email check for it. Wink

yabb3-displaynamecheck.png ( 22 KB | 74 Downloads )
yabb3-displaynamecheck.png
yabb3-emailcheck.png ( 15 KB | 85 Downloads )
yabb3-emailcheck.png

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:58am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:30pm:
If you are (and should be) the only one with that display name, then changing the case should not report the duplicate name error.  It -should- check in all lowercase (convert whatever casing you have) so that it doesn't matter what the casing is - all casing variations are considered the same name.  But it should not check it against your own display name - only everyone else's.

I just confirmed with version 2.4 that changing the case in a name does indeed produce the duplicate name error.

However, as expected, and as it should be, changing the case in an email address does not produce the duplicate name error.

But as JonB correctly points out in his post here, the workaround he presents works perfectly well. Thanks JonB!
Edited:
Unfortunately in YaBB 2.4 this workaround doesn't work. What you get is the following error message:

System Information

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:41pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:43am
Post Tools
Oops!

Regarding the case sensitive issue that's been reported, there may be a bug in version 2.5 but I can't confirm this since I use 2.4 - and on that point, evidently I was wrong about this being a bug in the version I use. In fact, YaBB 2.4 does notice duplicate names in email addresses no matter what case is being used.

Sorry for my mistake.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
However, as I've now confirmed in version 2.4 the duplicate name error does come up if you change the case of a username.

But as JonB correctly points out in his post here, the workaround he presents works perfectly well. Thanks JonB!

Edited:

System Information

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:43pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:20am
Post Tools
The sub routine that handles the comparisons is checkUserAvail, in UserSelect.pl
I have version YaBB 2.5 AE $Revision: 1.55 $ and both the display name and the email are supposed to be being compared in lower case. The actual path is a little convoluted as it calls another subroutine and there's some javascript to get the information to compare, but that is how it's supposed to be.

The issue of changing case on a display name - Unless there's a subroutine I've missed, the same subroutine that checks for taken names at registration is used when a display name is changed - it checks against the 'memberinfo.txt' file. And since the name is already there and it's being checked as  case-insensitive...  Wink  
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:20am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:38am
Post Tools
I am sure there is a  spot or 2 in the code that would take a simple "to lower" substitution to fix this problem.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:56am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 3:18pm:
Shouldn't email addresses also be checked case-insensitive? Because email addresses themselves are case-insensitive (well, mostly -  the domains are, the rest depends on the ISP and most default to case-insensitive anyway).

http://email.about.com/od/emailbehindthescenes/f/email_case_sens.htm

That's my thinking as well. Email addresses should be case insensitive. Excluding YaBB on our server, they are. So until YaBB, I rarely saw it any other way.

I believe this only happened in version 1.4 but my memory could be wrong on this: On a number of occasions I've had to advise members about this as they've sometimes inadvertently signed up for two memberships using an email address that's the same, or they couldn't log on using their email address even though it was correctly entered (only having changed the case in at least one of the letters).

Edited:
Oops!

Regarding the case sensitive issue that's been reported, there may be a bug in version 2.5 but I can't confirm this since I use 2.4 - and on that point, evidently I was wrong about this being a bug in the version I use. In fact, YaBB 2.4 does notice duplicate names and email addresses no matter what case is being used.

Sorry for my mistake.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
I just confirmed with version 2.4 that changing the case in a name does indeed produce the duplicate name error.

Edited:

System Information

However, as expected, and as it should be, changing the case in an email address does not produce the duplicate name error.

Again, I believe this only happened in version 1.4 but my memory could be wrong on this: Except for this being a quirky irritation while using YaBB, or a bug, I didn't think much about it. I just learned what was happening when a problem involving the sensitivity of letters was an issue.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:45pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 3:18pm
Post Tools
Shouldn't email addresses also be checked case-insensitive? Because email addresses themselves are case-insensitive (well, mostly -  the domains are, the rest depends on the ISP and most default to case-insensitive anyway).

http://email.about.com/od/emailbehindthescenes/f/email_case_sens.htm

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 6:37am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:46pm:
In that case, we're probably looking at a genuine bug.  Wink But one that's been around for ages.

Right, and this same bug seems to be the problem when using a different case in an email address, i.e., the same email address can be used with 2 different accounts if a different case is used, which can throw people off who don't know what case they used with their email address.

Edited:
There may be a bug in version 2.5 but I can't confirm this since I use 2.4 - and on that point, evidently I was wrong about this being a bug in the version I use. In fact, YaBB 2.4 does notice duplicate names and email addresses no matter what case is being used. Sorry for my mistake.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:41am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:46pm
Post Tools
In that case, we're probably looking at a genuine bug.  Wink But one that's been around for ages.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:30pm
Post Tools
If you are (and should be) the only one with that display name, then changing the case should not report the duplicate name error.  It -should- check in all lowercase (convert whatever casing you have) so that it doesn't matter what the casing is - all casing variations are considered the same name.  But it should not check it against your own display name - only everyone else's.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top