Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate (Read 4,807 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:14pm
Post Tools
Chances are, the duplicate check was checking using case-insensitive (to keep people from having the same display name with different letters capitalized - like spammers). So consider it a security feature. But this IS something that should go in User Helps and the codex.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:38am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:16am:
... The workaround is to change the spelling, then change again to the desired 'corrected case' spelling.

Cool

Clever workaround; thanks!

I confirmed that this is the same with version 2.4 of YaBB, and the workaround did the trick. Good to know.

Edited:
Despite this ... there may be a bug in version 2.5 but I can't confirm this since I use 2.4 - and on that point, evidently I was wrong about this being a bug in the version I use. In fact, YaBB 2.4 does notice duplicate names and email addresses no matter what case is being used. Sorry for my mistake.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:40am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate
Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:16am
Post Tools
In 2.5AE, if a user changes the case of characters in his/her  Display Name, but does not alter the spelling - the duplicate displayname check is triggered, and they will not be able to save the change. The workaround is to change the spelling, then change again to the desired 'corrected case' spelling.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top