Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate (Read 4,969 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Changing case in Display Name triggers Duplicate
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:45pm
Post Tools
I can trigger the same error message in 2.5 by changing the Display name to a different spelling in the box and forgetting to save the changes.

If the name change hasn't been saved, then, of course the info in memberinfo.txt hasn't changed - and that's what's being checked against.

As an experiment, trigger the error message and then see if the .vars file has been changed at all AND look in memberinfo.txt. They should change together.

Another remote possibility is if you're running the Display Name History Mod. It's just possible (I have not tested this) that it might maybe possibly interfere with changing the Display Name back to an 'old' version. (Although it shouldn't.)
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:54pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:17am
Post Tools
Okay, after some testing ...

I got the error message after changing a name, but the name change took place anyway; at least for a new name. However, I couldn't go back to the old/original name.

Still, I was able to change the name again to a 3rd name even though I got the error message again. After all, it was a new name. However, as with my first test, I couldn't go back to either one of the old/original names.

My solution: I used a backup copy of that particular member to edit in the first/original name, uploaded it back onto the server, and that fixed everything. Both of the newer names had evidently been deleted, so only the first/original name remained.

Oh, I also uploaded edited backups of memberlist.txt and memberinfo.txt to the server.

So, I guess if a problem with the renaming of a username comes up, rather than use the YaBB software (since it doesn't work as it should), the editing of the associated *.var file from a local copy should do, and uploading that file to the server should work. I suppose, too, updating the corrected memberlist.txt and memberinfo.txt files should be part of this process.

Caution: Take what I say here with a grain of salt, and remember too that I'm referring to the 2.4 version of YaBB.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:19am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 3:13pm
Post Tools
Could do with testing...

For the server side check, in Sources/Profile.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
            if ((lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $member{'name'}) eq lc $member{'name'}) && (lc $member{'name'} ne lc $member{'username'})) { &fatal_error('name_taken',"($member{'name'})"); } 

And replace with:

Code (Perl)
Select All
            if ((lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $member{'name'}) eq lc $member{'name'}) && (lc $member{'name'} ne lc ${$uid.$user}{'realname'}) && (lc $member{'name'} ne lc $member{'username'})) { &fatal_error('name_taken',"($member{'name'})"); } 

And for the Ajax check, in Sources/UserSelect.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        if (lc $INFO{'display'} eq lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $INFO{'display'})) { 

And replace with:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        if ((lc $INFO{'display'} eq lc &MemberIndex("check_exist", $INFO{'display'})) && (lc $INFO{'display'} ne lc ${$uid.$username}{'realname'})) { 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top