Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic iPads, Youtube Videos and YaBB 2.4 (Read 3,984 times)
------
Beta Testers

iPads, Youtube Videos and YaBB 2.4
Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Post Tools
A few of my members have received iPads for Christmas and they are telling me any youtube video that is posted doesn't show up.

I know Apple never liked Flash, and I'm guessing this is part of the problem. But I figure if they can view the videos on youtube they should be able to see youtube videos when using [media] tags in YaBB 2.4

Is there something I'm missing?
Is there a workaround?
Is there hope?

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Re: iPads, Youtube Videos and YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Post Tools
anyone?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 6:50pm
Post Tools
Edited:
Okay, this is confirmed on my part, but keep in mind that my knowledge is limited, so there still may be a better answer/solution than what I've given below.

After experimenting a bit, I didn't see a way to make any of the YouTube video links playable on an iPad; at least in the forum. Keep in mind that an iPad can play videos on regular html pages.

As such, you could point your video link to a separate page on your site outside of your forum, but I still think it's a lot easier, and less of a hassle to simply provide a text link in your forum for people using an iPad to tap.

------ wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:47pm:
A few of my members have received iPads for Christmas and they are telling me any youtube video that is posted doesn't show up.

I know Apple never liked Flash, and I'm guessing this is part of the problem. But I figure if they can view the videos on youtube they should be able to see youtube videos when using [media] tags in YaBB 2.4

Is there something I'm missing?
Is there a workaround?
Is there hope?

I love my iPad, but as you've noted, it has its limitations. I'm guessing that since videos show up on YouTube just fine, they should also show up in our forums. I haven't figured it out yet, so ...

The simple workaround is to add a line above or below your embedded YouTube video; something like the following:

For those of you on an iPad, you'll have to tap this link to go to YouTube directly to see this video.

All you do is to link up the associated text with the actual YouTube page so that people using an iPad can view the video. I operate a site that features photos, stories, and videos from contributors, and some of those videos are on YouTube. I do the same for the videos that are being broadcast from another hosting video service as well.

By the way, you and I and others should probably try to find another way to do this; to embed in our forums the videos we want to broadcast, There probably is a way. I say this because on the main parts of our site an iPad can view the embedded videos on YouTube just fine, and yet, in the forum it doesn't work.

I'll do some experimenting to see if I can come up with a better fix. Meanwhile, at least you can provide a text link for iPad users to tap to view any given video.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2012 at 7:16pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 10:52pm
Post Tools
Thanks Bill, I appreciate your comments.

Two concerns with your workaround.

1. I have this problem directing members off my site. I'd rather keep them on my forum.

2. To many old video links to update.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Post Tools
Hi RonS2 i think it is this code in MediaCenter.pl on line 84 - 87
Code
Select All
		} elsif ($media_url =~ m/youtube\.com/i) {
			$media_url =~ s~watch\?v=~v\/~g;
			$video = $embed_flash;
			$controlheight = 36; 

what is the url of the youtube vids you can see on the ipad as its prob this bit that is stoping it
Code
Select All
($media_url =~ m/youtube\.com/i) {
			$media_url =~ s~watch\?v=~v\/~g;
			$video = $embed_flash;

Edited:
look at this vid from from time 3.10 will tell you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYYG8xsuW5w
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2012 at 9:22pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 3:59am
Post Tools

Keep in mind that links in your forum will open in a new window, so your members won't actually be leaving your site. Besides, embedded YouTube videos are designed to pull people over to YouTube, so I wouldn't sweat it since your members will always return to your site anyway as long as you keep giving them what they want.

As for you having too many video links to update because embedded YouTube videos don't play on an iPad, that's the nature of the Internet when something new comes along. I wouldn't sweat that too much. People will understand.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping Apple will update the software for its iPod and iPad models so that embedded YouTube videos can be played without having to go to YouTube to see them.

I don't get it.  Huh

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 7:10pm
Post Tools
thanks xnoddyx

In the youtube link you posted, can I use that code somewhere and if so where would be a good place?

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 8:07pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 7:10pm:
thanks xnoddyx

In the youtube link you posted, can I use that code somewhere and if so where would be a good place?

i dont have a ipad to test where in the MediaCenter.pl the edit will go but if you ask here in http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=scripting or over on http://www.boardmod.org/ im shore one of the coders or moders will see what thay can do for you
sorry i cant be much more help with this

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

WebMe

None
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:34am
Post Tools
The problem with iOS browsers is the use of Flash to embed the video. Ideally YaBB should identify the user-agent as iPad and use the HTML5 <video> tag to embed the content instead.

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Post Tools
WebMe wrote on Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:34am:
The problem with iOS browsers is the use of Flash to embed the video. Ideally YaBB should identify the user-agent as iPad and use the HTML5 <video> tag to embed the content instead.

yes and that is what this link is for
Quote:
look at this vid from from time 3.10 will tell you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYYG8xsuW5w

but i cant even attempt to do that as i dont have anyway to test it in real time so as i said maybe someone here can do this or over on boardmod can help  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools