Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Unreliable SourceForge Hosting - New Host Coming (Read 3,263 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Unreliable SourceForge Hosting - New Host Coming
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:48am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:00pm:
Just chiming in - ya can't do nuthin' with an unreliable host.

I've had my share of unreliable hosts starting back in 1996 when I first had an online presence; didn't get my first domain until February of 1998 when I also began using a dedicated server. Our most popular site had far too much traffic to be on a shared server (although it's shared with a few other sites of ours, which get very little traffic).

The years between 1998 and 2001 were rough ones for me because of unreliable hosts, and yet ironically those were the golden years in terms of making a lot of green. Being down meant the loss of a lot of income. Now I have a very reliable host, but we're barely able to stay in the black. Go figure.

I've been with the same hosting company on a couple of different dedicated servers since 2002, and they continue to be very reliable even though their business model has changed pretty dramatically. They sold off the shared hosting portion of their business, and focused on their deicated server business. Luckily for our company, they continue to honor our original contract with them.

I couldn't find a keeping my fingers crossed smiley, so ...  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:00pm
Post Tools
Just chiming in - ya can't do nuthin' with an unreliable host.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

George Maschke

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:40pm
Post Tools
I'd just echo what Bill said. Thanks Corey (and the rest of the YaBB team) for the time and effort you put into this project!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 5:51pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:37pm:
... we will be taking a turn towards the future of YaBB.  A step that hopefully takes us in the right direction towards the glory that YaBB once had ...

... We hope you will all be patient with the project and return when the site is back on the new host.  This should remind everyone of the power the YaBB community has surviving over these 11 years and bring new development life in.

Thanks for leading us out of these problems again. It's very much appreciated.

Kudos to your hard work!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Unreliable SourceForge Hosting - New Host Coming
Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:37pm
Post Tools
Since the YaBB project was moved to SourceForge hosting over the summer of 2010, the community forum has been extremely unreliable.  This is not an issue with the YaBB software, but rather the poor hosting provided by SourceForge.

We have come to yet another long outage period at the community, and SourceForge support has yet to report any issues or solutions after almost 6 days of an outage and nearly 5 days with a support ticket (with no responses).  These issues are primarily due to their use of only NFS file locking, and what appears to be a complete removal of all file locking abilities in this past week, which is not conducive to a production environment of any kind.  Their Perl server also appears to be very sluggish.

That being said, we will be taking a turn towards the future of YaBB.  A step that hopefully takes us in the right direction towards the glory that YaBB once had.  We will be moving to a new web host within the next week so the community forum can once again be relied upon at all times and with the speed we know YaBB has. 

We hope you will all be patient with the project and return when the site is back on the new host.  This should remind everyone of the power the YaBB community has surviving over these 11 years and bring new development life in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top