Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Social Media versus Forums (Read 2,962 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Social Media versus Forums
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 6:01pm
Post Tools
Jefferson Thomas wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:48am:
For chatting purpose social media is the best use specially Facebook, but there are more chances of misusing, generally people hack anybody's user id and password then make fake post from their id's.

Who can argue with the success of Facebook, right? But in my humble opinion Facebook would have been better off to mirror YaBB for its organization, and then to open it up to non-members so that everyone could access the information online much like Wikipedia does.

At some point maybe YaBB can add to their coding a timeline feature so that regular conversations can be followed, and retrieved.

But from where I sit, the biggest advancement for YaBB would be to have the capability to have an unlimited number of members using it at any given time. Still, for so many of us it seems, YaBB is nicely suitable for the amount of users who choose to use its features versus the majority who simply come to a website simply to download, and read the newest updates.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Jefferson Thomas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:48am
Post Tools
For chatting purpose social media is the best use specially Facebook, but there are more chances of misusing, generally people hack anybody's user id and password then make fake post from their id's.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:26pm:
Of course they're apples vs oranges. But I will say that one good argument that shuts up the 'forums are dead and why should we care' bunch is pointing out what's hard to locate on social media sites - real and useful information ...

Excellent point, and so true; real and useful information.

Dandello wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:26pm:
The big competitor isn't Facebook - it's blogs. (Which you can almost define as a one person forum.)

Good observation. So I guess the following would be apt in the basic differences between the 3 main versions of online sharing:

Blogs = one person forums.

Forums = useful information.

Social media = An exploded online version of meeting people online.

Obviously these versions cross over a lot, but that's how I see the basics of it.

On a related note, I really appreciate how YaBB provides a post feed of this community support forum in the Admin Center. It's useful, and helpful.

In terms of growing YaBB into the powerhouse that it can be, and in reality it already is when it comes down to it with each one of us supporting it, and using it, venture capitalists could fund an infrastructure/platform that could make YaBB very user friendly. What stops a lot of YaBB's growth, I think, is the learning curve that's needed to install it.

So imagine an online world where YaBB forums could be instantly created for anyone who wanted one without having to install it; kind of like how Facebook, Twitter, and blogs are created within a central infrastructure. Read through Corey's posts, and you'll get what I'm trying to explain.

By the way, I didn't slice out quotes from Corey because he made so many great points, and interesting observations. This is an interesting topic.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:21pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:46pm
Post Tools
A one person forum is a good way to describe a blog.  I see blogs as both mediums - it isn't mass social media but it is personal social media.  It can both be a personal rant or publication of your life, and it can be a technical journal.  Blogs don't always have as many followers, and when they do there may not be as many comments. Sometimes there are a lot of comments, and then it is similar to a forum topic.  But a new blog entry has to be started to start a new topic.  Social media reaches more people more quickly and has more responses.  Topics are often brief but commented on quickly before a new topic is started.  They aren't usually technical or as informative (except on a personal nature about one's life).  Forums almost bridge the gap because they can be personal and technical, you can respond quickly (maybe not as quickly in their current forms), and anyone can start a topic.

I thought this would be an interesting conversation, and it is turning into one.

Of course, there is an alternate motive that I am interested in - are there things we can do to transform forums (specifically YaBB) into a merge of these various formats - blogs, forums, social media, etc.  I think there is a way to have the best of all of these in one system.

What Bill referred to in the forum cloud is something we have talked about with YaBB years ago.  Unfortunately we never realized it, and if we had, we may have been on the verge of something big.  It's just like before OpenID type logins existed, I had a dream of a single-sign in for YaBB's.  We have also discussed adding a personal blog (optional) feature into YaBB - basically a board just for you that only your friends can see.

We can realize all of this if we can get some new members on the development team and hope that the current team has time to put into it.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:58pm by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:26pm
Post Tools
Quote:
In general I agree that forums and social media serve different purposes. Doing a Google search to prove which is more popular on any given topic becomes irrelevant because it's really like comparing apples and oranges.

Of course they're apples vs oranges. But I will say that one good argument that shuts up the 'forums are dead and why should we care' bunch is pointing out what's hard to locate on social media sites - real and useful information. The big competitor isn't Facebook - it's blogs. (Which you can almost define as a one person forum.)

Besides - research is now showing that social media addicts have some serious issues. I doubt they'll come up with the same problems with 'forum addicts'.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Post Tools
That is an interesting idea, Bill.  There would be a lot of security to work on on something like that, but I could see some sort of YaBB conglomerate  Whether it be a "server" version that you install yourself or a way of linking to someone else's forum.  I could see a multi-admin panel in which one could install YaBB on more than one website, even on different servers, and link them together.  They would still be their own entities, but they would link or embed in one another should you choose that and mostly just make it easier to administer more than one forum all from the same panel.  Or perhaps a way to add "tags" to your forum, and anyone else with the same tags would be linked inside your forum as a sub board or category.  Something like that would require a central app at the main YaBB project site though.  It would definitely connect more people together much like social media does.

The primary difference I see between the two formats is that one is for more instantaneous and short-term sharing, typically of a more personal nature, and the other is for historical archiving, structured organization, multiple differing conversations at once usually of a more technical nature, and referencing.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2012 at 1:20pm by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 9:00am
Post Tools

In general I agree that forums and social media serve different purposes. Doing a Google search to prove which is more popular on any given topic becomes irrelevant because it's really like comparing apples and oranges.

In any case, while I once considered forums to be a dying breed of communication because of social media like Facebook and Twitter, I've since changed my opinion about it.

But to answer Corey's questions ...

One huge advantage that a forum like YaBB has over a Facebook page of the same subject matter is that YaBB is much better organized.

It really isn't fair to compare a YaBB community to a similar Facebook page or a Twitter feed because, again, the formatting and the way each media is organized is like comparing apples and oranges.

As such, I feel that forums have their advantages over Facebook and Twitter, and vice-versa. So my current thinking is that these different forms of media are needed, and should be utilized together.

I feel that YaBB's main limitation in terms of it becoming more popular than Facebook or Twitter, or as popular, is that it can only function with a relatively small number of users; hence, the small community aspect of its usage.

On that note, here's a radical idea for you developers out there: Modify YaBB's software to connect ALL YaBB forums together as if ALL are one and the same no matter what the topic is for each.

Think of it this way:

Facebook.com = http://www.facebook.com/YaBBForum multiplied by ALL other Facebook pages.

And so in a similar fashion:

Yabbforum.com = http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl multiplied by ALL other YaBB forums.

Get some venture capitalists to see the value of YaBB by looking at the relatively rich history of its development, and allow them to create that next big media sensation.

As for the implementation of such a grand endeavor, have a cloud version of YaBB called iYaBB that can update ALL of its communities much like one can update a computer, or an iPod, or an iPad, and no matter what device is used for the update, ALL devices get synced together.

So my YaBB, my neighbor's down the street, a YaBB in England, in Canada; wherever; when our forums are updated by members no matter what forum they use, ALL updates are synced together in iYaBB.

Just thinking aloud here!  Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 4:51am
Post Tools
This is a discussion that periodically does the rounds at various admin forums. To answer if forums are losing out to social media - just do a Google search for something esoteric and see what the first page comes up with. Credits to navy beans, it'll be a forum that shows up in the first three choices. And Facebook won't be there at all.

I consider forums to be the online equivalent to a club - people with shared interests coming together, be it coding, gardening, fan-fiction, Xbox games, whatever.

Social media is the on-line equivalent of the old fashioned corner tavern. You can discuss sports and maybe politics, but they really don't give a flip for your coding problem or your prize roses. And they certainly won't have any decent advice on maps in void context. That's what the code club - er  forum  Wink - is for.

Of course we can't ignore social media as a means of getting new members - but a forum is still an online club. To stretch the metaphor to the breaking point, do we really need to become a tavern?
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2012 at 4:55am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Social Media versus Forums
Feb 7th, 2012 at 3:35am
Post Tools
I'm curious what people think about the various social media venues versus forums/bulletin boards.  In the "old" days, a BBS was a telnet based server where people could post messages and chat.  With the advent of modern day Internet, we started creating threaded message boards on web pages.  Then we moved to more modern layouts like YaBB.  Now we have a ton of social media services and apps for every electronic device to use them on and share automatically (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Four Square, etc.).  Now companies are using these avenues for support, marketing, communication, and many other reasons.

What are the advantages of forums like YaBB versus using a one-size fits all / one-stop sites like FaceBook? Are forums dying?  Are there things forums can learn from FaceBook and other systems?  Are forums still advantageous in their own respect?  Are they totally different and both necessary?

I ask this both out of curiosity and to see what we need to consider should YaBB development continue for some time to come.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top