Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) anti-spam help - ip blocking, advice (Read 3,321 times)
Rad_one

anti-spam help - ip blocking, advice
Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:12am
Post Tools
hi.

y2.4

having trouble with folks registerng for no reason, making no posts.

maybe 100 per days.

i delete, but time consuming.

advice?

how can i block WHOLE entire IP block, such as 180.xxx.xxx.xxx??

does y2.5 have any better anti-spam?

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Re: anti-spam help - ip blocking, advice
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:19am
Post Tools

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Better advice Re: anti-spam help - ip blocking, ad
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 7:32am
Post Tools
Rad_one wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:12am:
... does y2.5 have any better anti-spam?

If you implement the easy to follow instructions here in this post, you may be able to stop spam entirely.

To date since I made these easy changes, not one single spammer has been able to successfully register in our forum.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
Have you installed any of the Anti-Spam mods???  Shocked

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Rad_one

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:33am
Post Tools
thanks, i will review your advice and report back.

no i have not installed any anti-spam mods.

IP Logged

Rad_one

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:39am
Post Tools
seems that boardmod is down now.

there's a note about them moving to a new, faster host/server.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:44am
Post Tools

Thankfully, you don't really need to use any of the anti-spam mods to keep spammers from registering.  Wink

The instructions in this post actually worked quite nicelySmiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 10:42am
Post Tools
@ Bill

I think you might need to qualify that last comment with "in my experience" and perhaps "on my boards" and maybe "up to this point".  + "This only applies to auto-registering bots"

I say that because Xrumer and its kin are constantly evolving and because properly created Anti-Spam questions can defeat hu-bots (human spammers), where CAPTCHA fixes have to be revealed.

To be righteous - I'll qualify this by saying "That's my opinion, and not that of YaBB".  Wink

Have a good day -
Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
The codex isn't with us at the moment either. Bummer. Cry

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 8th, 2012 at 10:42am:
 + "This only applies to auto-registering bots"

I say that because Xrumer and its kin are constantly evolving and because properly created Anti-Spam questions can defeat hu-bots (human spammers), where CAPTCHA fixes have to be revealed.

Thanks Jon! Yes, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of human spammers, but as it's evident in our forum, so far at least, 100% of the spam registrations have obviously been automated bots. I figure that any human spammer getting through can be easily stopped thanks to admin approval, and I'm not expecting too many of them, if any.

I'm guessing, too, that human spammers can easily figure out even the most clever questions that are chosen to stop them if an admin was to use the anti-spam questions mod.

What it will come down to with any admin is to implement what works best for them, and use what's most effective.

Keep in mind, too, that people like you and Dandello are much more intelligent, and experienced in terms of computer knowledge, so installing bots can be like child's play for you.

For us slower-minded folks, i.e., the relatively inexperienced, we need the easiest, and less complicated solutions to keep our forums running. For that matter, even the installation of YaBB takes a learning curve, so many if not most people are unable to do what you'd surely consider to be an easy installation.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
About the human spammers - they are paid so little per insertion is makes no economic sense for them to research knowledge-based questions. That ONLY applies to boards that are not using admin approval, of course.

Boards with Admin approval turned on, Guest Post off, and Broadcast Message to Admin disabled are relatively immune. Many boards that are intended for real 'public' access, can't function that way (particularly the 'admin approval' part).

I can tell you, for sure, 100% that some versions of Xrumer now 'know' the default answers for the 'Anti-Spam Question' mod. (which I reported last week).

I'm for a 'Spammer Delete' control in the Admin Center that does exactly what it says!  Cheesy

Have a good day -
Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 11:06pm
Post Tools

I operate a public access board with admin approval for registrations, and that serves us perfectly fine. This is with Guest Post off, and Broadcast Message to Admin disabled. However, without some kind of spam control, this does not make a forum relatively immune from spammers; not even close! Or more accurately, spammers still try to register by the hundreds each day.

In fact, with our forum before I implemented the captcha change, we had anywhere from 600-800 attempted registrations a day; easy enough throughout the day to delete them, and it only took a few short minutes each time, but it was still a pain in the neck.

After the captcha change, only legitimate registrations have gotten through, and been processed.

Interestingly, for whatever reasons, no version of Xrumer seems to have figured out the captcha change we made; not yet anyway. But even if or when they do, it's easy enough to make another captcha change to thwart them.

I like your idea for YaBB to have some kind of a 'Spammer Delete' control in the Admin Center that does exactly what it says! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools