Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Error log stopped working (Read 4,763 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Error log stopped working
Reply #34 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 2:42am
Post Tools
LOL - I read my PM Inbox, first not knowing this was fixed -

Guess what I thought "finally" -

Quote:
Actually that is GOOD to know.

I'll see if I can get back in.  You may have given us, accidentally, a big clue.  If I have the same problem it could be an 'ownership issue'.

I'm very happy this is fixed and glad you have gained some confidence.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #33 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 2:34am
Post Tools
It certainly makes a good case for regular backing up of files.
I did one already Smiley

I have learned quite a lot over the past couple of days, and I am less afraid of using FTP now,

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #32 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 2:32am
Post Tools
Now that is excellent news~

Cool

Bill - see below - well -- I can't seem to upload a file right now
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2012 at 2:35am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #31 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:27am
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:19am:
And yes the file must have been corrupted because I now have my beloved error log up and running again Smiley

Fantastic! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. It should have been an obvious answer to me, but it wasn't. In any case, that file is up and running now, so that's all that matters.

On a related note, I've had jpg files suddenly stop working, at which point I would simply upload their backed up copies, and all was good again.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:28am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #30 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:19am
Post Tools
You were riBill Myers wrote on Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:01am:
It seems to me that the file is corrupted. After making sure you have a backup copy, have you tried deleting the file? Or have you tried uploading a local copy of that file to your server?

Also, is your Variables folder set with 755 permissions?

I took the bull by the horns so to speak and took your advice and deleted the file, then uploaded one from the first install.

And yes the file must have been corrupted because I now have my beloved error log up and running again Smiley

Thanks to Jon and Bill for all the help it was greatly appreciated, without your help I would still be scratching my head and smoking 40 a day Embarrassed

A great helpfull team
many thabnks

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:09am
Post Tools

Oh, if it helps, and I know this can be frustrating, but ...

Sometimes when I've been unable to change or edit a file while using the WS_FTP_LE client, I was able to do what I wanted when I used the WinSCP client. Go figure.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:05am
Post Tools

By the way, as I understand it, the 550 error you're getting simply means that you don't have write permission to the file.

Obviously, you need to change those permissions.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:01am
Post Tools

It seems to me that the file is corrupted. After making sure you have a backup copy, have you tried deleting the file? Or have you tried uploading a local copy of that file to your server?

Also, is your Variables folder set with 755 permissions?

IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:28am
Post Tools
I have been trying that, but I get 550 error.txt operation not permitted.

but 666 will work on some files I tries changing to 666 as a test

confused is not the word aaaahhhhh Smiley

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:28am
Post Tools
Monsen wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:17pm:
Just a quick note here - this is usually due to ownership issues. 644 gives the file owner r/w, everyone else read only. 666 gives everyone r/w. This is why 666 is recommended (because it always works), but 644 will actually work for most installations.

Thanks for that clarification. It helps to put my previous issues with permissions into perspective.

I always like to learn something new.  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:21am
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:09am:
It may just be me not knowing how to make things work

Is there a file where can I find the permissions to check them?

Using your FTP client, just right-click the file, and click Properties to see what the permissions are; probably 644, which should be fine, but maybe in your case that should be changed to 666.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:19am
Post Tools
Since you're new with using FTP, maybe you just need to play with it a bit to see what's going on. Since you're able to FTP to that file, I'm guessing you have access to it, which probably means you're able to change permissions.

Basically, with FTP you right-click the file, click Properties, change the Numeric Value from 644 to 666, and click OK.

Additionally, you may want to download WinSCP for management of your files, and for file transfers. It's actually a more robust, and secure application.

I use both; WinSCP and WS_FTP_LE depending on what I'm doing, the latter of which I use for general uploads. Until I downloaded the latest version of WS_FTP_LE I had a difficult time figuring out how to change permissions since there wasn't a box to simply type in a number, so I used WinSCP to do this. This can now be done in both programs very easily.

By the way, maybe this has nothing to do with permissions at all. Could it be as simple as the file not being there, and that's all there is to it? In other words, if YaBB doesn't create that file on its own if it's missing, then maybe you can simply create that file locally with no data in it, and upload it to the proper folder.

Or if it is listed after all, maybe it's gotten corrupted, in which case you can simply delete it, and then upload a local version of it even if you have to create that file with no data in it.

Just thinking aloud here, and keeping in mind that of the people giving you advice about this, I'm the least intelligent of them all, and have a lot less experience with YaBB even though our forum has been up since 2002. I just know the basics.

Just saying.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Corrected a spelling error.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:06am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:09am
Post Tools
It may just be me not knowing how to make things work

Is there a file where can I find the permissions to check them?

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 11:08pm
Post Tools
I think the problem lies with me and FTP.
I have only used it for a week or so and it's still a black art to me. Embarrassed

Just lit my first cigarette in two weeks Angry

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Monsen
YaBB Legends (Active)

YaBB 2.2
Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 11:06pm
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:37pm:
I have changed to 666, but i cant save it.

what am i doing wrong/ and how do i save changes?

Again, does sound like owner issues. If this file somehow have changed owner, it will explain why 644 doesn't work. However, if the owner have changed, it also probably mean that you are not the owner of the files yourself anymore, and therefore cannot change the right assignment either.

As depablo suggested, you may need to contact your host to have them change the file permissions (Unless you have multiple logins to your account, might be that the file belong to another one of them, if so, use the appropriate one to log in and change it)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top