Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Threads not visable to non members. (Read 2,393 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Threads not visable to non members.
Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Post Tools
Dandello,

Thank you for explaining why those javascripts are listed in a YaBB template. I wasn't aware of this, but of course it makes sense. Our YaBB 2.4 only has the YaBB.js template listed.

At one point I inadvertently deleted the following lines of code from our forum while I was adding something to the template, which of course messed things up a lot:

Code
Select All
<link href=".../yabbfiles/greybox/gb_styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript" src=".../yabbfiles/YaBB.js"></script>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript"> 

Within a few minutes, however, I was able to see what I had done by comparing a backup copy of our template with the one that I had messed up; side by side. Fixed!

Subsequently, out of curiosity I looked at the source code of some other YaBB forums I liked (2.5 versus my 2.4) to see what they had in the way of javascripts, and added those lines of code (referencing our own domain of course). But one or more of those added lines of code either messed up our forum, or they didn't seem to do anything at all, so line by line I removed the added code until I was back to what we originally had.

Clearly, I think, there are enough differences between 2.4 and 2.5 NOT to do what I tried to do. Hint to self: Upgrade!  Roll Eyes

On another matter, which I just noticed since I'm still stinging with embarrassment because I once referred to you as a "he" instead of a "she" ... a typical, and unacceptable presumption that society often makes, and I was no different ... I see that this particular forum doesn't list our gender identification even when we list it ourselves.

So where you should have a icon, and I should have a icon underneath our names after our location in every post we make, those icons aren't appearing.

No biggie; just something I now noticed.  Wink

Now that I'm thinking about it, regarding gender identification, I recall that the generic gender that was chosen in Glamour Magazine years ago was always a woman instead of a man as pretty much all other publications did it the latter way (at least throughout the early 90's).

As an example, when there was reference to a doctor or a lawyer, or pretty much any other profession for that matter, and no actual person was being referenced, whereas other publications simply presumed that this person would be a man, Glamour magazine would presume her to be a woman.
But I digress.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012 at 7:12pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #25 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 3:39pm
Post Tools
Bill, sorry I didn't respond sooner to your question about all those javascripts - those format the various code inserts that might be in a message (and I only see those loaded on my sites when Display.pl is called)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 8:33am
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Feb 12th, 2012 at 11:39pm:
Have you checked the categories?
Allowed to View/See Category:

Cheesy  Really pleased you got it working  Grin

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 6:22am
Post Tools

I'm very glad that you got your boards and categories back. Your forum looks great!

It's good to know that resetting the categories seemed to have gotten things to work again.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill 24

Re: Threads not visible to non members.
Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 2:55am
Post Tools
OK, All seems to be working now, I had to reset the categories access and it works now.
Thanks everyone.
Bill
http://jeffgordon-24.com/forum/YaBB.pl/
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012 at 2:56am by Bill 24 »  

IP Logged

Bill 24

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:31am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:24am:
Since adding a test board worked, maybe you can add a test category to one of your missing boards to see what happens.

Just thinking aloud here again...

Basically, I think you may need to pretty much go through all of your options to see what you think might be the problem, change one option at a time to see if it works, change it back if it doesn't work, and then go at it again.

My apologies for leaving you in the lurch, and this isn't a good excuse, but the east coast feeds for HBO and Showtime are airing soon, and Sunday evenings rule!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the help Bill.
We will get to the bottom of this...lol
Bill

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:24am
Post Tools

Since adding a test board worked, maybe you can add a test category to one of your missing boards to see what happens.

Just thinking aloud here again...

Basically, I think you may need to pretty much go through all of your options to see what you think might be the problem, change one option at a time to see if it works, change it back if it doesn't work, and then go at it again.

My apologies for leaving you in the lurch, and this isn't a good excuse, but the east coast feeds for HBO and Showtime are airing soon, and Sunday evenings rule!

Good luck!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:13am
Post Tools

Okay; I'm definitely going to be looking at this some more. But again, it's a good sign that your test board appears for guests. There must be a clue there somewhere.

I'm now wondering if one of your files has gotten corrupted in some way, and simply needs to be refreshed with a backup copy ... but I'm not so sure about that, so it's probably best to wait for smarter heads to get involved here.

Meanwhile, I'm not giving up. I'll try to think of some other checks to make.

IP Logged

Bill 24

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:08am
Post Tools
Yes, everything is listed just fine.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:02am
Post Tools
Edited:
Yikes! The following has nothing to do regarding guests. Sorry!

Okay; then check the following:

Go to Boards, then check the box to the right of one of your missing boards.

Make sure the Edit button is activated; not the one to remove it. Click Go.

Check the following:
Code
Select All
Group Permissions: (Advanced Permissions) (Hold the control or apple key to select more than one and de-select)

Allowed to start topics: 	Allowed to reply to topics: 	Allowed to view topics: 	Allowed to create polls: 

Are ALL of your members listed? That will be key.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:05am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill 24

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:54am
Post Tools
This has me really stumped, The settings in the test board and the old ones are the same.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:51am
Post Tools
If it matters, here's something that's strange:

Do you see the box below? Well, for whatever reason when left unchecked in our forum, that board shows up just fine.

Code
Select All
Checking this option will ensure the board is shown to all able to view the board index even if they are not allowed access to the board. 

So, maybe you can try unchecking it to see what happens. I know this doesn't make sense, but it's worth a try. You can always change it back.

Edited:
Nope. That didn't seem to matter one way or the other. I just confirmed this in our forum.

Edited:
Grammatical error corrected.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012 at 7:51am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill 24

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:42am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:40am:
Yes, I saw that. This is good news. So ...

Since your test board is now showing up just fine, maybe you can compare its settings with your other boards to see what might be different; and then making corrections to make them visible again.

Let me give that a try.
Thanks

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:40am
Post Tools
Yes, I saw that. This is good news. So ...

Since your test board is now showing up just fine, maybe you can compare its settings with your other boards to see what might be different; and then make corrections to make them visible again.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:41am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill 24

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:37am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:33am:
Okay, I see what's going on. As you can see below, you literally have nothing showing up in between the start of your board index category block, and the end of it.

In the case with our forum, we literally have hundreds of lines that make up, and contain our boards and categories.

No wonder nothing is showing up. Keep in mind, however, that I'm looking at your forum as a non-member. Are your sure that your members can see the categories, and not just you as an admin? If so, then everyone else here seems to be right in that guests are evidently being disallowed to view your forum.

If this is actually the case, and I know you've already checked to see if your settings are correct, but maybe you can try to momentarily disallow guest access, save that option, and then allow it again; kind of like resetting the forum if it might help.

Code
Select All
<!-- Board Index Category block start, should be left as is -->

As a non-member looking at your forum, you have
nothing listed here at all when in fact you should
have many lines showing up between these prompts.

<!-- Board Index Category block end, should be left as is -->

I just made a new catagory and board and it is visable when not logged in....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top