Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Where IS everybody? (Read 2,385 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Where IS everybody?
Feb 17th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Post Tools
Sheesh - then the boards were down or working wonky, everybody and his brother was looking for help. Now that everything's on track, there's nobody here. It's as bad as my own boards - but at least they have excuses.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Where IS everybody?
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 4:48pm
Post Tools

Traffic around this time of year pretty much always slows down. It's really cyclical in terms of people actually participating online even though traffic in general is still pretty steady. I'd like to think it has something to do with all of the activity on Valentine's Day but, in reality, it's surely about tax season kicking in because of the January 1st deadline to get everyone's paperwork out to them.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 5:26pm
Post Tools
I know things at work for me are very hectic through the end of March, along with some personal things like taxes.  However, with the launch of the new host, traffic picked up a little for about a week.  I too have noticed, especially this week, that traffic completely dropped off again almost to a new low.  Odd.

I am working with what few developers are on the team and the little time they have to see if they can predict a beta of YaBB 3 any time soon.  Although there will be a ton of work to do, I think a public beta ("do not use on live sites" except here of course) will generate some interest and traffic.  Maybe we can get something like that out in a month or two.  We've been running the code here for over a year, and until recently there has not been much changed in the code.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 7:38pm
Post Tools
it is indeed pretty frikkin' dead.  BUT that is equally true at XAMPP/Apache Friends where I am a GM also.  I seem to be the ONLY one right now answering questions, although there are three of us..

Shocked
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2012 at 7:40pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
Maybe its dead because this forum provides support only, in other words if you have no problems why visit?

Folk who are around are interested in helping out and keeping up to speed with developments. Don't know if it would benefit from a general chat board, other support sites have these, although I have to admit I have no real interest in this myself.

Also folk may be thinking the panic is over as the software is hosted on a new server, complacency is something YaBB does not need at this time.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 3:09am
Post Tools

Lack of activity in a support forum is generally a good thing. After all, that should mean people running their YaBB forums are having no real problems. Otherwise they'd probably be showing up here.

Of course, at least for the last year or so, I wouldn't be at all surprised if people simply left YaBB for other forums. After all, for a long time YaBB's own community support forum was embarrassingly slow, and it seemed that it had basically shuttered itself.

New people considering YaBB would have understandably looked at other forums simply because of how poorly YaBB was operating here. The damage done was probably quite considerable.

The good news is that YaBB seems to be back on track, so it should only be a matter of time before its reputation is back on top as it should be, and as it's deserved. It may take a while, but that's the cost of letting things go for so long.

Hint: To those of you maintaining this forum, make sure to keep it operating at its best to showcase how great YaBB really is.

Hint, hint: When YaBB 3 is made available to the public, as an obviously astute reviewer once said was an attribute of another forum when it was compared to how other forums rolled out their newest versions, the newest version of YaBB should only be released when the bugs have been worked out. If that means newer versions only come out every few years versus every year or so, then let that be a testament of reliability for whatever stable version of YaBB has been released.

That's just common sense. Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 8:35pm
Post Tools
I have to admit to giving up looking on the forum previously because it was so slow it was painfull to use.
Although now it is running great again, and I hope it continues to do so.

I have found it helpfull with problem solving, although some of the problem still need to be resolved.
I would dearly love to eliminate spammers but is that just a dream?

I probably should update to a newer version of yabb, but I don't feel confident enough to attempt is just yet.

Keep up the good work mods,  Smiley

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 2:26am
Post Tools
trekwebmaster wrote on Feb 18th, 2012 at 8:35pm:

It seems that a number of us have virtually eliminated spam in our forums.  Smiley

Thanks to what we implemented in our forum, we haven't had a single spam registration get through for a good while now. Hopefully our spam-free forum will continue to stay that way.

All you need to do is to implement any one of the spam mods that are available to you, which evidently work pretty well, or do what we did in our forum without using any mods at all. Good luck!

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 3:46am
Post Tools

Its simple and it means doing the work of the Admin/Forum Owner as you should.

Go into the registration logs and see who failed finishing their registrations, and ban those IPs. Then look at the error logs and see who's been trying to poke about in the system and Ban those IPs. Finally back in the registration logs - see those who succeeded in registering but did not post after 10 days or who had posted Spam - delete those IPs. After a while, you get a nice long list if banned IPs and spammers wont be able to get at your system ever again.

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 3:49am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 17th, 2012 at 7:38pm:
it is indeed pretty frikkin' dead.  BUT that is equally true at XAMPP/Apache Friends where I am a GM also.  I seem to be the ONLY one right now answering questions, although there are three of us..

Shocked

Four.
I'm around monthly now. Got a lot to do but when time frees up, I'll be around some more.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:08am
Post Tools
Elfen wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 3:46am:

Its simple and it means doing the work of the Admin/Forum Owner as you should.

Or you can relax, and simply use the captcha modifications without using any mods, and without wasting time monitoring spammers.

Keeping my fingers crossed, to date we still haven't had a single spammer succeed in registering since we made these simple changes. We don't even need to bother with the banning of IP addresses, which is pretty useless anyway since IP addresses are virtually limitless.

IP Logged

HDMAVS760CA
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2012 at 5:46am
Post Tools
There are reasons why that's not talked about.
1.  People might not know about this forum.
2.  Only 24 hours in a day & people gotta work & sleep.
3.  Other sites & forums to be on.
There are probably more but I can't think of anymore right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo