YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Re: Superb over the ugg boots outlet (Read 3,851 times)
 Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:55am
There are no actions to perform.  

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Re: Superb over the ugg boots outlet
A spammer was given a membership? What's up with that?  Roll Eyes

Please delete my post when you delete the spammer's post (plus the other spammer posts that were made).

Suggestion
: Add one of the available mods to keep spammers from registering. Otherwise, people who are considering YaBB might wonder how secure it is against spammers. Not a good way to showcase YaBB.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2012 at 5:02am by Bill Myers »  
Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 9:34am

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
My guess is that they are leaving it raw to do research on spammers to decide how to stop them better from a raw unmodified board aspect.  Every spammer leaves clues on how to stop them better. However that SFS mod is amazing.

...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:10am

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
I think both of you are right on some levels, however the choice is not mine to make.

This was a 'hu-bot', not a spamming machine, and there are few defenses against human spammers other than language or knowledge contexts.

Anyway - he/she/it is gone to Spammer Heaven aka UGG Land.

Grin

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 5:30pm

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
Keyword patterns are left behind. decipher the pattern and use it to stop new ones.

...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 5:50pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Jon, I understand how this isn't your choice to make, to allow spammers to register, and then post on-line. I think you actually do a pretty darned good job considering the limitation you're under, i.e., there evidently aren't any mods engaged to stop spam registrations.

Jon + spammers = goodbye spammers! Gone! Still ...

Like BloodyRue mentioned, allowing spammers to register may be a choice for some good reasons I have to trust, but to actually allow spammers the ability to post seems unwise, and obviously problematic.

This particular community support forum is seen by many as a showcase to how well YaBB performs, so problems here will only serve to discourage people to download, and install YaBB. Let's face it. If obviously knowledgeable programmers can't seem to stop spammers, how in the world will webmasters in the real world stop them? At least that's the perception.

As things are now, forums have been shuttered all over the world because spammers ruined it all; not just with YaBB. Many webmasters simply gave up. Others just let their forums continue to exist with no moderation or management at all, so those forums only have posts from spammers, and are entirely useless.

As for the spammer that/who was allowed to make a few posts, despite what it may look like, I highly doubt that was a "hu-bot. Love that terminology; very clever! But even if that was the case, for whatever reason after I implemented ggn's captcha modifications, not even so-called "hu-bots have been able to successfully register.

Keep in mind that our forum previously had many hundreds of registrations pending for approval each and every day, and presumably at least some of those were "hu-bots.

As it turned out, at least in our form, I was surprised that "hu-bots hadn't been trying to register, or if they had, I suspect they failed because English isn't their native language, so they couldn't get past ggn's captcha modifications. So far, only a small number of people with legitimate reasons to register needed to contact me about the difficulty they had in registering an account.

But I don't need to speculate about this. What works, works.

Suggestion: If YaBB programmers want to allow spammers to register and post in a forum, please consider doing this in a test forum that is separate from this community support forum. To do otherwise will not help with YaBB's growth.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2012 at 5:52pm by Bill Myers »  
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 5:20am

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
I see that speed posting rules frustrates and bans them. Instead of that it could be reprogrammed to collect their crap and shove it in a toilet bowl for inspection by spam forensic technicians and not be visible to the rest of the public.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2012 at 5:21am by BloodyRue »  
...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 3:26pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
This forum can't be easily relegated to an admin approval e-mail registration system.  As long as its e-mail validation registration, you are going to get human spammers.  End of story. LOL.

Also bear in mind this is all beta3 code we are running here, thus most mods won't work without some fixing.

I looked in our Spam Collector (where no one can see) and we get almost no spam really. A couple a week at most.  So its almost a non-problem.

Just my opinions and thoughts
Wink

jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 3:36pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
But when we do get one he's a doozey  Cheesy I swear I will never buy Ugg.

IP Logged  
 Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 4:13pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
A side note to Bill - that one just about had to be a hu-bot.  There are just too many things that had to be done correctly to get to what their desired result was.  I haven't made a decision tree to enumerate it, but I don't think it would be worth doing/writing that much logic.

Wink

jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 4:15pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
@ Bloody Rue -

I agree on keyword analysis.  I don't make decisions like that without a chat with the power that be.  But I suspect 'ugg' will have something 'uggly' happen to it  Wink

Cool

jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 6:27pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4

Sometimes I think programmers over-complicate things. With certain subjects that I have some expertise in, I tend to do this myself.

I know, kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. Roll Eyes

Rather than analyze this and that while spammers make you jump through hoops to keep up with them, just simplify it by implementing a spam mod that works, and include admin approval for registrations; at least in this YaBB forum that's being showcased to the world.

But don't listen to me; listen to people who critique forums. Beta versions should never be released to the public as a stable version until they're actually stable. And so it goes, on a showcase site, only a stable version should be seen, and experienced for those who are considering its use.

YaBB's tires will be kicked. It'll be driven around for a while. You get the picture.

Regarding how this is a beta version of YaBB, which of course means that the forum will be subject to things that go wrong, again, I don't think this is a big picture smart move in terms of showcasing YaBB.

Yes, this would be an exaggeration, but nothing should ever go wrong in this forum. Those of you running this forum are far too intelligent for that. Problems are beneath you. Leave it up to those of us less intelligent than you to make mistakes, and mess things up in our own forums.

YaBB's own community support forum should not be having problems! Wink

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.