Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Update Session (Read 9,062 times)
Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Update Session
Feb 20th, 2012 at 3:31pm
Post Tools
V2.5AE - I never have gotten "Update Session" to work. The answer to the question is never recognized as correct.

I went into the control panel to change the answer, just an attempt I've probably already done 10 times, then I noticed a small icon, maybe a key?, in the title header alternating between an X and the icon/key.

Do I have something off that needs to be on?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Update Session
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
That little icon is just a moving gif. I'm pretty sure there are no other settings that need to be set.
Are there any mods you've added?
When you choose to use your password as the update session credential, does that work?

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Post Tools
I haven't done any mods at all that I can think of to this installation Dan. I'm pretty sure it's totally virgin... oh, well that's not totally true, I've been into the default template to change the logo and add a line of text at the top, but that's about all. That was just a manual twek.

Odd choice of a generic gif to use if it doesn't signify anything. If I were coding it, barring any indication from the icon I don't think a flashing X would be a general choice for me there.

I'll change to password auth. and see what happens. Thanks.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 8:26pm
Post Tools
I checked one of my own vanilla installs and I suspect this is a bug. On mine, password auth does appear to work - but I have to admit, I'm not usually in the admin section long enough at a stretch to need to update my session as admin.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
OK I can confirm this, I tested on two unmodified Forums - same result - won't take valid response to the Use a Question option.

Off to the buggy bin.

Cheesy

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Post Tools
Zactly, and "as password" works fine. So a fix to incorporate in the V3 progress maybe?

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #6 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 4:09pm
Post Tools
I'll take a look sometime. Can someone post this on the development forum? I noticed in my profile that if I didn't have this variable saved in my profile before the update that the box was filled with seemingly random numbers and letters.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Post Tools
Has there ever been a version of this function that has worked properly? Like in 2.4 or earlier?

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2012 at 1:28pm
Post Tools
When I am done with general server fixing (likely tomm.) I will hook up my test server and go through the versions. I have at least one of almost every 2.x variant

Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - May 13th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Post Tools
In 2.3.1 and 2.4 -- User Control Panel > Profile >Use a question displays a drop down box of ten questions. You may have to clear the password field if your browser is set to remember passwords/autofill, other wise YaBB thinks you are trying to change the PW as well..

But you can save the answer, and it works correctly.

The question code and hashed response are in the .vars file.
'sesquest',"1"
'sesanswer', "hash value"

Session Question code for "use My Password" is "password".

Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2012 at 6:23pm
Post Tools
V2.4 - I never actually noticed the "Update Session" option, or rather, I never really paid attention to it.

At least in our forum with V2.4 ...

- In addition to the 10 questions in the drop down menu, the "Use my password as validation" is an option.

- Saving an answer does not work correctly. Or rather, it appears to work, but the only "authentication" that actually works is providing your password no matter what question is used, and no matter what answer is provided.

JonB wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 2:59pm:

Edited:
JonB wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 10:37pm:
I was referring to the contents of the .vars file.

I didn't realize this, but when I tested it, typing "password" in the text field didn't save. But then, typing your password in the text box is also pointless because saving that change doesn't keep it there either. Of course, this becomes irrelevant since the password field is to be left blank anyway (as follows).

*** Start Quote ***

Update Session
To check your credentials select a question and provide an answer to Revalidate an Admin session
If you select your password as validation you can leave the field empty.

*** End Quote ***

On a related note while testing the edit function of YaBB's menu items, even though "Update Session" appears as a choice, it never actually becomes activated (it never becomes clickable). But then, that activation is not needed since all one needs to do is to move on however you want in your forum after you're finished editing (there's no "Save" icon).

There are a couple of other quirks in the add/edit functions as well.

If you're adding a menu item, the "Add after" choice only works with "Front" versus any number of other choices you may have depending on what's included in your forum's menu.

However, this quirk isn't that big of a deal because you can simply add your new menu item as it defaults at the front of the line, and then in the editing function you can use "Reorder Tabs:" to move that menu item where you want it.

Another quirk is that if you make a mistake with any given added menu item's url, you can't fix that mistake while editing. The edit function only allows you to change the menu item's spelling.

But that quirk isn't a big deal either because you can simply trash the menu item, and then recreate it with the correct url. This is an irritation that is easily forgiven in light of the fact that YaBB makes it so easy to add menu items.

No mod is needed to add menu items. It's simply part of YaBB's core features.  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2012 at 12:34am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - May 13th, 2012 at 10:37pm
Post Tools
Bill -

I was referring to the contents of the .vars file.

Quote:
The question code and hashed response are in the .vars file.
'sesquest',"1"
'sesanswer', "hash value"

Cool
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2012 at 10:39pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2012 at 11:16pm
Post Tools
Okay - where it kinda looks like where we're at - the revalidation function has an if/elsif call - first section is invoked if no question/answer has been chosen or the chosen question is 'password'. If both those fail, it's supposed to go to the second section, write out the chosen question to the form and compare the answer from the form to the answer already saved. For whatever reason, the second section doesn't get properly invoked.

I have a heck of a time getting my testbed to trigger the 'update session' which makes it hard for me to test any results. But I'll do what I can to sort it out. It's probably something utterly ridiculously simple.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:13am
Post Tools
It's all French to me.  Smiley Roll Eyes

As for invoking the update session to work; or in this case not work; one can start a session and work on other things for the default 600 seconds to pass. I'm usually working in a number of windows anyway, so that 10 minutes can pass by rather quickly.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - May 14th, 2012 at 1:21am
Post Tools
Ah - since the only place with a countdown timer like that is Profiles and I so rarely stay there any length of time without hitting refresh... Roll Eyes

And no - Profiles doesn't have that option for regular members in 2.5 (at least I can't find it and I've looked). Only admin sessions have that option. And it gets tripped when you log in from one IP then access YaBB from a different IP. (Managed to to that on Carsten's board without even leaving my desktop.  Huh )
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2012 at 5:06am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top