Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
 10 Two issues with 2.5AE forum (Read 1,704 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Two issues with 2.5AE forum
Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:53pm
Post Tools

I'm glad he's back up. Way to go!  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Tysonmm
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:25pm
Post Tools
Thank you, He's back up!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:15pm
Post Tools
Tysonmm wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 4:43pm:
I've got the same thing.  Randomly users will go Ex-Member.

But this time I have a user that ALL data except for his username is empty.  His var file is 0 in size.

Is there anyway to rebuild the Var file for the user? OR any workaround to get this other files back into a newly created profile then copying the other profile files to the new profile?

Here's a workaround for you to try: If you have a backup of that var file, then use it to make some edits.

If you don't have a backup of that file, backup your var files, and then copy one of those files, at which point you'll want to rename the copied file to one that matches the member's username.

Side by side so that you can easily compare them, pull up a window of a var file you know is working, and pull up the one you want to edit.

Remember: Don't mess with the encrypted password even if it's blank (although it should be okay to type anything in that space). Obviously, if you have to change the password, this should be done by accessing the user's account as an admin, at which point you'll want to assign a temporary password. Remember, too, that if you do this, give that user their temporary password so that they can access their account to change their password to one of their own choice.

As for the rest of the var file: Fill in what you know, and what you want in terms of making that user's account workable again, and then upload it to the server. From that point the user account can be accessed, and edited by you or the user.

Keep in mind: The user's account you edit may/will have other files associated with it, and I believe those can be, and should be left as they are.

I believe you may also need to rebuild the members list, but I'm not sure about that.

Good luck!

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Post Tools
Almost always zero-byte size .vars files are a result of a server glitch. Usually it is out of disk space (which can be a temporary condition). But, it can also be server timeouts or reboots that do the damage.  You should always ask your host to check the server error logs shortly after the problem appears.  If it happens often - you need a different host or a different plan.

There is no solution other than taking backups, and restoring the damaged file. You could also use the admin.vars file that comes with the distribution and edit it into shape, but that could be a tall order for those not really failiar with YaBB.

Every YaBB forum admin should back up at least weekly, using the built-in YaBB backup in 2.3.1 and up

or use FTP and backup at least:
./Boards
./Members
./Messages
./Variables

And if you allow attachments and user avatars, or have added smileys - back up those folders under /yabbfiles as well.

Good Luck
Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:08pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Tysonmm
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 4:43pm
Post Tools
I've got the same thing.  Randomly users will go Ex-Member.

But this time I have a user that ALL data except for his username is empty.  His var file is 0 in size.

Is there anyway to rebuild the Var file for the user? OR any workaround to get this other files back into a newly created profile then copying the other profile files to the new profile?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:27am
Post Tools
memberlist.txt is part of the basic distribution. It it isn't there, there's a problem.

My suggestion, create a file with that name and see if that helps. The default entry in the file is: admin      1278201660 but during the rebuild memberlist, that should get over written by the info in admin.vars.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Don
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:56am
Post Tools
Dan, what folder on the server do I look in? I checked the Members folder and had no luck.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 3:59pm
Post Tools
When rebuilding the memberlist, every .vars file is looked at, the relevant data extracted and written to the memberlist. If the .vars files are corrupted, then it can't finish its task. Therefore, it times out.

Open memberlist.txt (or memberlist.rebuild.txt if it's there) and see where it stopped writing. A line that's not complete will point to an offending .vars file. If they're all complete, the one of the .vars files that DIDN'T get included is the culprit.

Another place to look for clues is your server error logs. There may be something there concerning timing out the process and what the glitch was.

IP Logged

Don
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:50am
Post Tools
We'll check the server space today but we should have plenty of space left.

I went to rebuild the members list in the maintenance settings this morning and got the server time out message again. All the other processes worked fine.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 2:41am
Post Tools
Have you checked your file space recently?

The .vars files are written to every time a member logs in. If you're out of space, the file gets emptied since there's no room to write to it. Without those files, you have a cascading chain of failures.

Another possibility is server/host issues and there can be any number of those - like some of the files not 'belonging' to you for what ever reason, or necessary processes being cut off.

IP Logged

Don
YaBB Newcomer

Two issues with 2.5AE forum
Feb 29th, 2012 at 11:59pm
Post Tools
Our members vars files keep getting corrupted on a random basis...

Now we click on the Members button in the forum and the admin section and it never opens. We get a time out message eventually.

Any suggestions for a forum programming dummy?
Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top