Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forum is total mess (Read 6,705 times)
Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Forum is total mess
Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 8:39pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:46pm:
Regarding your missing images if it helps, as an example with the image of your folder that should be showing up, the following is referenced (and obviously missing):

Code
Select All
http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/boards.gif

The same thing with your forum's logo as follows:

Code
Select All
http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/3dlogo.jpg

So to get your images showing again, you'll either have to make sure they're in the directory listed above, or you'll need to find the correct directory, and change that in your path settings. Either way will work.

Bill

This is what confuses me. The files are there where they should be. Take a look at the Filezilla screenshots.

Huh Also why does it say PDF file for a .gif image file ??? the jpegs show as jpegs.

Phil

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:46pm
Post Tools
Regarding your missing images if it helps, as an example with the image of your folder that should be showing up, the following is referenced (and obviously missing):

Code
Select All
http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/boards.gif

The same thing with your forum's logo as follows:

Code
Select All
http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/3dlogo.jpg

So to get your images showing again, you'll either have to make sure they're in the directory listed above, or you'll need to find the correct directory, and change that in your path settings. Either way will work.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:51pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Post Tools
Great progress! Your forum is kind of looking good again (at least in Firefox; not so much IE). One step at a time.  Wink

Just so you know, the AdminIndex.pl file is the one controlling your Admin Center, which will be evident in your address bar when you access it.

I think Dandello may have already mentioned this, but in any case I'm thinking you may have to check/correct the links that are associated in your Absolute Path to your main YaBB directory.

As such, look at the top of that page for the following:

Code
Select All
Absolute Path to your main YaBB directory
This information is useful for troubleshooting purposes

/var/www/virtual/eurolures.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/

What you see above is just a sample. Your absolute path may be different, but you get the idea. So from there you'll know how to correctly fill in your Path Settings.

Keep in mind that your main directories should be, and probably already are as follows:

Code
Select All
./Admin
./Boards
./Help

Etc. etc.

The 3 directories at the bottom of that list will look something like the following:
Code
Select All
/var/www/virtual/eurolures.co.uk/htdocs/yabbfiles

But again, on your server this will probably be a bit different. You get the idea.  Wink

Edited:
I should have pointed out that only the main page of your forum will have been kind of corrected. All of the other pages in your forum will look pretty corrupted, including as you already know, your Admin Center page.

Ah, I see you've already corrected this.  Cool

So again, with your missing images, I think you now need to make further corrections to your path settings.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:38pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Post Tools
Cheesy

Ahaa !! Finally making progress. Just got to sort out the problem with images  Huh Huh then I can look at changing my colours back to what they were.

The Admin Centre still looks weird though
?

Thanks for your time it's really appreciated.

Phil

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Post Tools

By the way, since you now know the exact location of the files you need, you should be able to easily insert the lines of code you need with your own files, which will of course fix your rendering problem.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Post Tools
Titusaduxas wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:18am:
OK

I know the locations of the files.. I have downloaded my yabb.pl file and can edit the code to point to the correct locations. Where should the code be inserted in the yabb.pl file ?? Do I insert the code fragment at the end ??

Phil

My post here should explain it better.

In short, you don't need to edit your YaBB.pl file. Or more accurately, editing your template via your Admin Center will do this for you, and much more easily.

Titusaduxas wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 7:40am:
Gosh fellas (and gals  Wink) your knowledge of YaBB is amazing. Please bear with me on this one as for a numpty like me it's a bit daunting but I'm going to see what I can do with it today.

Phil

I think my knowledge of YaBB isn't much more than yours is. Dandello is the one who has the smarts in this area. She seems to be a real computer whiz.

In any case, the only reason I know about this particular problem you're having is because it happened to me exactly as it happened to you, and as such, my results were the same. Thankfully, the rendering of our forum was corrected within a few minutes after I realized what I had done.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:17pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:17pm:
The problem isn't in YaBB.pl - it's in default.html or possibly in Paths.pl - both of which can be edited through the Admin panel.

All YaBB.pl (basically) does is decide which template to plug into default.html to show the proper screen.

Dandello's right about this, but to be more specific, your problem is only in the default.html file. I know, because I successfully tested it.

Phil, as I've mentioned, what happened to you is exactly what happened to me. I inadvertently deleted a few lines of code in my forum's template, and the result was exactly what yours was/is; our forum wasn't rendering properly even though it was otherwise working.

Remember, too, that I actually fixed the rendering of your forum yesterday, so it looked just fine when I rendered it locally. Except to say, as I also previously mentioned, the colors were like the colors showing up in this support forum.

So again, if you edit in the lines of code as I listed them, which will only take you a few moments to do, your forum will render properly, at which point you can change to colors that you had with your Orange.css file.

So, the following simple steps will work:

1. Access your Admin Center.

2. Under Forum Layout scroll down to Template.

3. In the Edit Templates text box, insert the lines of code exactly as I've copied them in the box below in between what is highlighted in yellow. Delete everything else in between those highlighted lines of text.

Code
Select All
<title>EUROLURES.CO.UK - Maintenance Mode</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default.css" type="text/css" />
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript" src="http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.js"></script>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="10 most recent posts" href="http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=RSSrecent" />
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">

<!--
//force no cache

4. Click the Save Default/Default.html icon.

That's it. Your forum will now show up just fine.

Important: As I've already mentioned, It's not appropriate to use this support forum's css file as I listed it above. So once you see that your forum is rendering properly, which it will because I've already tested it locally to see that it works, then you can go to Admin Center to change the forum's colors back to how you had them with your Orange.css file.

Good luck!  Wink

For future reference, always have a backup copy of your forum's files so that you can easily compare, and use any given file when or if it gets corrupted, or if you inadvertently make some errors.

And whenever you work on a backup copy, remember to backup that particular file before you make changes so that you can reference it as needed.

Our forum is backed up regularly at least once a day, and often many times throughout the day, which only takes a few short minutes to do in the background while working on other things. We even have a number of previous backups just in case they're needed, and they are rotated out as new backups are made available.

I can't tell you how many times I've needed to use files that we've backed up.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:18pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:17pm
Post Tools
The problem isn't in YaBB.pl - it's in default.html or possibly in Paths.pl - both of which can be edited through the Admin panel.

All YaBB.pl (basically) does is decide which template to plug into default.html to show the proper screen.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 10:07am
Post Tools
If it's any help this is what my yabb.pl file looks like.

#!/usr/bin/perl --

###############################################################################
# YaBB.pl                                                                     #
# YaBB: Yet another Bulletin Board                                            #
# Open-Source Community Software for Webmasters                               #
# Version:        YaBB 2.3.1                                                  #
# Packaged:       January 04, 2009                                            #
# Distributed by: http://www.yabbforum.com                                    #
# =========================================================================== #
# Copyright (c) 2000-2009 YaBB (www.yabbforum.com) - All Rights Reserved.     #
# Software by:  The YaBB Development Team                                     #
#               with assistance from the YaBB community.                      #
# Sponsored by: Xnull Internet Media, Inc. - http://www.ximinc.com            #
#               Your source for web hosting, web design, and domains.         #

### Version Info ###
$YaBBversion = 'YaBB 2.3.1';
$YaBBplver = 'YaBB 2.3.1 $Revision: 1.21.2.11.2.7 $';

if ($action eq 'detailedversion') { return 1; }

# use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); # used only for tests

# Make sure the module path is present
push(@INC, "./Modules");

if ($ENV{'SERVER_SOFTWARE'} =~ /IIS/) {
     $yyIIS = 1;
     $0 =~ m~(.*)(\\|/)~;
     $yypath = $1;
     $yypath =~ s~\\~/~g;
     chdir($yypath);
     push(@INC, $yypath);
}

### Requirements and Errors ###
$script_root = $ENV{'SCRIPT_FILENAME'};
$script_root =~ s/\/YaBB\.(pl|cgi)//ig;

require "Paths.pl";
require "$vardir/Settings.pl";

# Check for Time::HiRes if debugmodus is on
if ($debug) { eval { require Time::HiRes; import Time::HiRes qw(time); }; }
$START_TIME = time();

require "$vardir/advsettings.txt";
require "$vardir/secsettings.txt";
require "$vardir/membergroups.txt";
require "$vardir/Smilies.txt";
require "$sourcedir/Subs.pl";
require "$sourcedir/DateTime.pl";

## check if hard drive has enough space to safely operate the board.
if ($enable_freespace_check) {
     &freespace;
     my $low_disk_alert = 100000; # in bytes (default 100 KB) put forum on maintenance if quota goes below this value
     if ($FreeBytesAvailableToCaller ne '' && $FreeBytesAvailableToCaller < $low_disk_alert) {
           &automaintenance('on','low_disk');
     } elsif ($FreeBytesAvailableToCaller ne '' && $FreeBytesAvailableToCaller >= $low_disk_alert) {
           &automaintenance('off');
     }
}

# Auto Maintenance Hook
$maintenance = 2 if !$maintenance && -e "$vardir/maintenance.lock";

require "$sourcedir/Load.pl";

# Those who write software only for pay should go hurt some other field.
# - Erik Naggum

&LoadCookie;       # Load the user's cookie (or set to guest)
&LoadUserSettings; # Load user settings
&WhatTemplate;     # Figure out which template to be using.
&WhatLanguage;     # Figure out which language file we should be using! Cheesy

if (-e "$vardir/gmodsettings.txt" && $iamgmod) { require "$vardir/gmodsettings.txt"; }
if (!$masterkey) {
     if ($iamadmin || ($iamgmod && $allow_gmod_admin eq 'on' && $gmod_access{"newsettings\;page\=security"} eq 'on')) {
           $yyadmin_alert = $reg_txt{'no_masterkey'};
     }
     $masterkey = $mbname;
}

$yyfreespace = ($enable_freespace_check && (($debug == 1 && !$iamguest) || ($debug == 2 && $iamgmod) || $iamadmin)) ? qq~<div>$maintxt{'freespace'} $yyfreespace</div>~ : '';

$formsession = &cloak("$mbname$username");

## check for valid form session id ## (reintroduced after someone ripping it out) ##
# Check for any POST requests, except for the admin center ones, and the login/register/reminder ones.
if ($ENV{REQUEST_METHOD} =~ /post/i && $action ne "login2" && $action ne "reminder2" && $action ne "register2") {
     if ($CGI_query && $CGI_query->cgi_error()) { &fatal_error("denial_of_service", $CGI_query->cgi_error()); }
     if (&decloak($FORM{'formsession'}) ne "$mbname$username") { &fatal_error("form_spoofing","$user_ip"); }
}

require "$sourcedir/Guardian.pl";
&guard;

# Check if the action is allowed from an external domain
if ($referersecurity) { &referer_check; }

my $inactsize = -s "$memberdir/memberlist.inactive";
if (-e "$memberdir/memberlist.inactive" && $inactsize > 2 && ($regtype == 1 || $regtype == 2)) {
     &RegApprovalCheck;
     require "$sourcedir/Register.pl";
     &activation_check;
}

my $aprsize = -s "$memberdir/memberlist.approve";
if (-e "$memberdir/memberlist.approve" && $aprsize > 2 && ($regtype == 1 || $regtype == 2) && $yyadmin_alert eq "") {
     &RegApprovalCheck;
}

require "$boardsdir/forum.master";
require "$sourcedir/Security.pl";

&banning;     # Check for banned people
&LoadIMs;     # Load IM's
&nopostorder; # Create nopostorder array

if ($is_perm && $accept_permalink) {
     if ($permtopicfound == 0 && $permtitle ne "") {&fatal_error("no_topic_found","$permtitle|C:$permachecktime|T:$threadpermatime"
); }
     if ($permboardfound == 0) {&fatal_error("no_board_found","$permboard|C:$permachecktime|T:$threadpermatime"
); }
}

$action = $INFO{'action'};
$SIG{__WARN__} = sub { &fatal_error("error_occurred","@_"); };
eval { &yymain; };
if ($@) { &fatal_error("untrapped",":<br />$@"); }

sub yymain {
     # Choose what to do based on the form action
     if ($maintenance) {
           if    ($action eq 'login2')    { require "$sourcedir/LogInOut.pl"; &Login2; }
           # Allow password reminders in case admins forgets their admin password
           elsif ($action eq 'reminder')  { require "$sourcedir/LogInOut.pl"; &Reminder; }
           elsif ($action eq 'validate')  { require "$sourcedir/Decoder.pl"; &convert; }
           elsif ($action eq 'reminder2') { require "$sourcedir/LogInOut.pl"; &Reminder2; }
           elsif ($action eq 'resetpass') { require "$sourcedir/LogInOut.pl"; &Reminder3; }

if (!$iamadmin) { require "$sourcedir/LogInOut.pl"; &InMaintenance; }
     }

# Guest can do the very few following actions
     if ($iamguest && $guestaccess == 0) {
           if (!(($action eq 'login') || ($action eq 'login2') || ($action eq 'register') || ($action eq 'register2') || ($action eq 'reminder') || ($action eq 'reminder2')

|| ($action eq 'validate') || ($action eq 'activate') || ($action eq 'resetpass') || ($action eq 'guestpm') || ($action eq 'guestpm2') || ($action eq $randaction))) {
                 &KickGuest;
           }
     }

if ($action ne "") {
           if ($action eq $randaction) {
                 require "$sourcedir/Decoder.pl"; &convert;
           } else {
                 require "$sourcedir/SubList.pl";
                 if ($director{$action}) {
                       my @act = split(/&/, $director{$action});
                       require "$sourcedir/$act[0]";
                       &{$act[1]};
                 } else {
                       require "$sourcedir/BoardIndex.pl";
                       &BoardIndex;
                 }
           }
     } elsif ($INFO{'num'} ne "") {
           require "$sourcedir/Display.pl";
           &Display;
     } elsif ($currentboard eq "") {
           require "$sourcedir/BoardIndex.pl";
           &BoardIndex;
     } else {
           require "$sourcedir/MessageIndex.pl";
           &MessageIndex;
     }
}

IP Logged

Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:18am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:57am:
YaBB.js

OK

I know the locations of the files.. I have downloaded my yabb.pl file and can edit the code to point to the correct locations. Where should the code be inserted in the yabb.pl file ?? Do I insert the code fragment at the end ??

Phil

IP Logged

Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 7:40am
Post Tools
Gosh fellas (and gals  Wink) your knowledge of YaBB is amazing. Please bear with me on this one as for a numpty like me it's a bit daunting but I'm going to see what I can do with it today.

Phil

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 6:00am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 3:38am:
i think there is more to this than just code ...

Actually, no. That 403 error is really a 404 error, and it's unrelated to the rendering of the forum.

As for the forum not rendering correctly, it's simply missing the lines of code that I listed. I confirmed this by locally editing the template myself, and testing it. The forum rendered just fine, and looked good.

That is, if you forgive that it's been in maintenance mode for a few hours now.  Roll Eyes

Remember, even with the missing lines of code, the forum still works just fine.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 6:02am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 3:38am
Post Tools
i think there is more to this than just code as when i was trying to load the forum logo here http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/3dlogo.jpg it spat out a 403 Forbidden!
so it may also be a permissions problem as well  Roll Eyes
Edited:
or a .htaccess malformed anti hotlinking code problem < i have done this to my self lol
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 3:44am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:35am
Post Tools
Phil,

Until you can find where your Orange.css file is, or your default.css file is, if you edit in the following lines of code into your template, in between what I highlighted in yellow, your forum will come up just fine (I've tested it locally using my own domain's css file, and your forum renders just fine):

Code
Select All
<title>EUROLURES.CO.UK - Maintenance Mode</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="10 most recent posts" href="http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=RSSrecent" />
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript" src="http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.js"></script>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">

<!--
//force no cache

Edited:
A line of code referencing the rss feed was inserted above to be more accurate.

Important: It's not appropriate to use this support forum's css file as I listed it above. Using it will simply show you that your forum will work just fine with the lines of code that I listed.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:01pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:02am
Post Tools
Okay, your YaBB.js file is at the following address:

Code
Select All
http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.js

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:04am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top