Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forum is total mess (Read 6,961 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Forum is total mess
Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Post Tools

I see that your coding is just as it was before, so there must have been some kind of corruption going on; whatever!
The main thing is that your forum is looking great again. Congratulations!  Smiley

Leave it up to Dandello to come up with a more sensible solution. I told you she's good.   Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Post Tools
Well guys, after much brain ache the forum took literally 2 minutes to uninstall , re install and, (thanks for this Dandello) rebuild  Cheesy. Here is the proof of the pudding.

I restored an old backup by mistake as I could not make sense of the TAR filenames but what the hell it's better than the way it was.

Thanks a bunch again.

Phil  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #36 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:40pm
Post Tools
His forum should be back up and running very soon.  Wink

By the way, having a test forum to work on is a great idea. I've done it myself, and found it to be very helpful.

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:41pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #35 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Post Tools
I would have went for a fresh install and use the backups on a test forum to see if it worked. Chmodding is in the download package, quick guide.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #34 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Post Tools

I would have thought that a fresh installation would be too much. Then again, under the circumstances, it does seem like a pretty darned good idea.

Good for you that you have your data backed up. That's going to make a world of difference!  Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 2:57pm
Post Tools
It's not much more complicated than that - after reinstalling everything and re-uploading the messages, variables, user files, etc. remember to go to Admin and do the rebuilds  and recounts under Maintenance Controls

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Titusaduxas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #32 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:49am
Post Tools
Bill, xnoddyx, Dandello

You people have been great in your efforts & advice but the simple facts are I am getting nowhere fast. I have really tried to get my head around what you have been posting but I cannot see the wood for the trees. I dont want to be wasting your time anymore (well maybe just a little more  Smiley)

It occurs to me considering I have backups which I have taken regularly, and at the time of backups the forum was fully operational without issues, I should be able to recover a working forum, albeit from dates previous. I have been unable to do so though even though my recoveries via the admin backup panel showed 100% success rates. One thing I have noticed about the backups is that they only contain sub directories within the YABB directory and not the files in the root directory.

Could I uninstall YABB and then re install, then import users and messages from the backup files which I have downloaded to my local hard drive simply by uploading the contents of the members and messages folders or is this too simple ??

Phil

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #31 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Post Tools
WebMe wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:25pm:
I'd religiously go through the CHMOD process again just to be sure. Here's the permissions: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190660838

That's great advice, and what's provided with that link is very useful.

Phil, a quick way to test this out is to make sure that the associated folder has the correct permissions, and then check the permission on just your logo here. If that works, then correct the permissions on all of those image files in that folder, and your images should appear (presuming that your path settings are correct).

On a related note, I believe Dandello may have suggested that you reload your images to the server (in Binary).

I mention her suggestion because sometimes a particular image file won't come up for some reason on our site even though it looks fine on the server itself, and the permissions for it are correct. However, after I reload the same image file, it then loads just fine.

You can easily test this with your logo to see what's going on. For instance, if you temporarily copy your logo to your main directory, and you reference this in your template by editing it through your Admin Center, you'll see that it will come up just fine.

What this obviously means is there's either an access/permissions problem with this forum default folder of yours, or an access/permissions problem with your logo.

xnoddyx wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:04pm:
i never at any point did i say that there wasent any code probs what i did say was
xnoddyx wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 3:38am:
i think there is more to this than just code as when i was trying to load the forum logo here

but any ways all most fixed now  Wink

I know.  Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:15pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #30 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:55am:
One thing I knew for certain was that Phil was missing necessary lines of code in his forum's template to render it properly

i never at any point did i say that there wasent any code probs what i did say was
i think there is more to this than just code as when i was trying to load the forum logo here

but any ways all most fixed now  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

WebMe

None
Reply #29 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:25pm
Post Tools
I'd religiously go through the CHMOD process again just to be sure. Here's the permissions: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190660838

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #28 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:55am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:54am:
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 6:00am:
Actually, no. That 403 error is really a 404 error, and it's unrelated to the rendering of the forum.

i dont see how you can say that it is unrelated to the rendering of the forum when that is part of the forum its logo and a 403 is more or less access denied where as a 404 is a not found i.e: file not there so how do you work out that That 403 error is really a 404 error Huh

I used the word "rendering" literally. To clarify, the rendering of the forum is simply the formatting of the forum itself.

One thing I knew for certain was that Phil was missing necessary lines of code in his forum's template to render it properly. I tested this locally, and his forum rendered just fine, albeit it was rendering with other colors.

Subsequently, Phil added those missing lines of code, and now his forum is rendering just fine. What's now missing are the images in his forum. My guess is that permissions are incorrect, and/or the path to his images is incorrect.

Relatively speaking, this particular problem should be easy enough to fix, so with a little bit of tweaking here and there, his forum will probably be working again just fine.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #27 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:01am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 11:23pm:
I think the problem you're having is a relativety simple one. When I try to click open your logo here, the error message that comes up is as follows:--- Start Error Code ---ForbiddenYou don't have permission to access /yabb/Templates/Forum/default/3dlogo.jpg on this server.Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.--- End Error Code ---My thinking is that the permissions for that folder is not correct. You should check this. If this is the case, this may be the reason that your default.css file is unable to render your forum properly.

yes i pointed that out in a erler post  Roll Eyes  Wink
i think there is more to this than just code as when i was trying to load the forum logo here http://eurolures.co.uk/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/3dlogo.jpg it spat out a 403 Forbidden!
so it may also be a permissions problem as well  Roll Eyes
Edited:
or a .htaccess malformed anti hotlinking code problem < i have done this to my self lol

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #26 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:54am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 6:00am:
Actually, no. That 403 error is really a 404 error, and it's unrelated to the rendering of the forum.

i dont see how you can say that it is unrelated to the rendering of the forum when that is part of the forum its logo and a 403 is more or less access denied where as a 404 is a not found i.e: file not there so how do you work out that That 403 error is really a 404 error Huh

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #25 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 11:23pm
Post Tools
Titusaduxas wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 8:39pm:
This is what confuses me. The files are there where they should be. Take a look at the Filezilla screenshots.

Since your files seem to be where they should be, double check to see that you can view them locally on your computer. I'm guessing that you can.

Titusaduxas wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 8:39pm:
Huh Also why does it say PDF file for a .gif image file ??? the jpegs show as jpegs.

I wouldn't be concerned about your image files being listed as a PDF file type. All that probably means is that your PDF program is the default for viewing those files, or it simply thinks it's supposed to be viewing them.

I think the problem you're having is a relativety simple one. When I try to click open your logo here, the error message that comes up is as follows:

--- Start Error Code ---
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /yabb/Templates/Forum/default/3dlogo.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
--- End Error Code ---

My thinking is that the permissions for that folder is not correct. You should check this. If this is the case, this may be the reason that your default.css file is unable to render your forum properly.

You'll want to make note of the following for the correct permissions (per your screenshots):

Code
Select All
public_html/yabb/Templates CHMOD 755

public_html/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/* (all files) (in Binary) CHMOD 755 - you can also try CHMOD 644

public_html/yabb/Templates/Forum/default.css CHMOD 666

On a possibly related note, and this will matter if I'm right, your YaBB directory structure seems off to me, but maybe it's fine.

For instance, our YaBB file structure is exactly as it's supposed to be per YaBB's Qucik Start Guide; at least for YaBB 2.4 versus your 2.3 version.

So, where you seem to have public_html/yabb/Templates/Forum/default/.

Our forum has public_html/yabbfiles/Templates/Admin/default/.

I noticed that YaBB's own support forum here has the same file structure that our forum has. Might this be a clue? Just saying.

However, because your forum was working just fine before, my gut tells me your file structure is as it should be. If so, then you may simply have a permissions issue.

Edited:
I just wanted to add that, like anything else when something goes wrong in a forum, it's good to remember the last piece of work that you did that may have caused the problem. Knowing this will be your biggest clue about what may have happened.

On that note when making edits, it's best to edit no more than one or two items at a time unless you're really confident that what you're editing will work as it should.

Otherwise, you'll need to start again with a backed up copy of your original file.

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:25am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #24 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
I suggest you re-upload your gifs, making sure you upload them as the proper format - (not ascii) - as the mime types on the files seems to have gotten messed up. Alos make sure the files really are the same name. Windows is case-insensitive, but most servers are Linux and so are case sensitive.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top