YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

YaBB.pl not closing correctly? (Read 1,914 times)
 Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:24am
There are no actions to perform.  

WebMe 

YaBB 2.5
YaBB.pl not closing correctly?
Last night I had an issue where YaBB.pl was seen running 533 separate instances of itself. This is not normal. Are there any known issues where the script doesn't close correctly after it has finished running?

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
WWW webme  
IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:08pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: YaBB.pl not closing correctly?
what version are you running and do you have any mods installed on it? and and url to it?

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 4:48pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4

I wonder if this has to do with spammers who make attempts to register?

In our own forum over the last hour, for instance, we've had around 500 attempted registrations from spam bots it seems, although thankfully none of their attempts are ever successful.

Thank goodness we're on a really fast server that can handle all of it. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 7:12pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
A look at your error log will tell you if it's a case of spammer overload - I've been getting CPU high usage warnings over the past couple days - when I checked my error logs, one IP had racked up more than 100 hits in 2 minutes. Another IP had racked up 50 hits in 2 minutes (my error log turns over at 200 so I'm sure the hits are actually much higher.)  So 500+ concurrent hits is quite possible.

I had taken IP banning off the one forum - I think I'm going to put it back on.

IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 7:13pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
Bill might be on to something.  I'm not aware of any way for YaBB to 'spawn' copies of itself. Generally, AFAIK, (two big caveats) YaBB starts a Perl session for each active user, and I think the sessions are closed by the script/instance timing out. You might want to look at the access log for the server, and ask the site operator/admin to check their registration log.

There are bots out there that can just whack away at the registration process, and every attempt form a fresh IP probably starts a new Perl session (it is a cgi executable, so its a per-user deal AFAIK).

We have several threads about Xrumer and its kin in the Anti-spam Board, you might want to look over there. and a YaBB antispam Google group as well.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
jonbservergeek  
IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:07pm

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
I can tell you I am working on a mod to stop xrumer.
The xrumers  I get have 1-3 hits in  the clicklog, but appear  to be whacking the  register2 captcha up to 50 times in a very short timespan.

My mod auto-bans them into htaccess depending on a set number in the admin section.

It  currently works but the testing numbers I am getting need debugging. If anyone wants the code  I can post what I  have currently.

I am still writing this  but it has stopped 2 of my abusers  so far.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:11pm by BloodyRue »  
...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:54pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4

I know that banning of IP addresses was useless in our forum, because let's face it, there are virtually a limitless number of IP addresses that spammers can, and will use. So what's the point of it? Besides, unless you have an automated bot to ban IP addresses, it's not feasible to take the time to ban them unless of course you have staff members on duty 24/7.

I've set our log to rotate every 500 errors, and I can see that spammers hit that mark about every hour at current peak times. Thankfully to date, not a single spammer has been able to successfully register since I implemented our simple captcha changes. So I have to presume that they're all bots since normal registrations are still being successfully processed.

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:48pm

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
Try this!

http://www.wizcrafts.net/chinese-blocklist.html

grab the russian one too, boy did this take a huge chunk of spammer bandwidth off my site.

...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:51pm

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
Auto banning bot? the mod I am writing only works currently on the captcha hits. While looking where to place the coding I  realized that  I can adapt it to auto-ban anything that annoys you.

Extreme beta code posted on Boardmod:

XCAPBAN Beta 1.0
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:34am by BloodyRue »  
...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:34am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4

The irony for our site is that we get a lot of legitimate traffic from both China and Russia, so of course we don't want to ban legitimate traffic.

As for banning IP addresses, again, at least with spammers, this ends up being useless since they have a virtually limitless supply of IP addresses. Not that long ago I was banning many hundreds of IP addresses every week. I no longer have to do this.

As for mods, I need to bump myself up on that learning curve and give them a try. Meanwhile, I don't need a mod to keep spammers from registering. I simply implemented a relatively easy change to the rendering of our captcha code, and entirely stopped all spam registrations.

To be perfectly frank, I'm surprised that it's still working so effectively. I would have guessed otherwise because of hu-bots.
Keeping my fingers crossed.  Smiley

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:37am

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
The reason I wrote this was to stop the captcha attempt errors that were filling my error log and crashing it. This thing stops that for me.

...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 3:46am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4

If filling up your log crashes it simply because you're getting a lot of errors due to spammers trying to register, then there's probably an issue with your server.

In any case, if I can figure out how to use the mods that are available for YaBB, and your mod is one of them, I may give it a try just to have less of a load from the error log. What you've created sounds great to me.

One concern I have is that the list of IP addresses that get banned because of your mod may get so large that it hurts the performance of our forum. I've asked about this here in the support forum, but so far nobody's come up with an answer as to how many IP addreses can be listed without adversely affecting YaBB's performance.

Looking ahead, as I understand it, YaBB can only get so big before it gets too large to adequately perform. If or when that happens for us, I'm not sure what I'll do about it. However it's done, if it can be done, I suppose I could freshly start a new forum so that it's clean and mean while keeping active all of the older posts in what I guess could be referred to as an archived forum for our site to reference.

But after splitting up a forum so that older posts can still have working links, I'd also need to figure out how to duplicate access for members. If I remember correctly when I tested a new forum by freshly installing it, I was able to copy/port over all of the members we currently have into that new forum, so it seemed that might have been the solution for how to split a forum up, and still keep access for both.

My thinking is that I could make the archived forum "read only" so that everyone could read it without having to sign in as a member. New posts would go into the newer section of our forum, including new memberships that wouldn't be needed in the older archived "read only" forum. Still, there would be complications such as when members update their profiles. The archived section would have information in profiles that could never be updated by the members themselves.

Then again, maybe I could simply update the path settings as needed in the archived part of our forum to point to the new section of the forum. Or better yet, by the time our forum gets too big for it to adequately perform, if we get that big, maybe YaBB will have developed enough to support really large forums. Very large; maybe with millions of members and tens of millions of posts.

I wonder how Facebook does it?  Huh

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:34am

BloodyRue 

YaBB 2.5
Occasionally I sort and condense the banned IPs into block units.

I am working on a hub and spoke approach to my board.

I have a main board that has external links to other spoked boards.

I haven't applied this to more than 1 spoked board yet until I can program out all the kinks, but I have the spoked board drawing from some of the same paths as the main hub board and keeping separate some other paths.

I am adding coding to adjust for the scripturl and boardurl so that each spoked board recognizes which one it  is on and adjusts the urls accordingly.

I had to really do some coding in the online activity program so it would see where people are.

Not  done with this yet since I still have a problem with if you switch to the other boards you have to log in, but the membership draws from 1 source.  I think I saw something to test with to fix that last night but haven't tried it yet.

...    ...
WWW MVMB1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:48am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
BloodyRue wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:34am:

I am working on a hub and spoke approach to my board.

I really like that idea. Very cool!  Smiley

I had thought about this approach before, and in fact I mentioned it here in this forum not that long ago; the idea being that YaBB could be centralized much like Facebook is. Except that with YaBB, Facebook would be much more organized.

So there might be a portal called iYaBB where people could easily on the fly create their own forum without installing anything. They'd sign up for their own YaBB forum, and like Facebook in a way, everyone and everything would be connected. And again, it would be much more organized. One username and password could be used to access any and all iYaBB forums.

Who would fund its development and host it? Why not Apple? Hence the portal's name of iYaBB.

Who would develop it? YaBB's development structure would remain the same, i.e., as an open source project.

Just thinking aloud again.

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:57am

WebMe 

YaBB 2.5
Thanks for all the replies.
It was an automated spambot by the looks of it. No registrations were made; the forum has the Anti-Spam Question by Derek Barnstorm mod installed which is a very reliable spam blocker.

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
WWW webme  
IP Logged  
Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.