Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Trouble with disappearing members!?! NOW SORTED (Read 708 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Trouble with disappearing members!?! NOW SORTED
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 5:26am
Post Tools
John, actually, I was in the middle of writing a reply when you posted your edit, so that mix up was on my end. I think I may have set aside my reply for a bit while working on some other windows.

As for you showing up as a newbie again, the same exact thing happened to me in this forum. At one point I had two usernames with the same email address even though that's not supposed to happen. Evidently, this newest version of YaBB is in beta, so it's going to have its bugs.

As for my old stats, those are gone even though I believe that at least some of my old posts are still online; just not synced up to this current membership of mine. I think I was missing about 45 or so posts that should have been associated with my account. But for me personally, it really doesn't matter.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012 at 5:30am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

jfk
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 9:15pm
Post Tools
Ooh, how weird, I've just noticed that on this forum I am now a newbie with 4 posts - I've been a member since building my Yabb forum in 2007 and have posted hundreds of times (not only pleas for help lol). Maybe it was when the forum moved to a new host? Not that it matters, just proving I'm more alert tonight  Grin  Wink

IP Logged

jfk
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
Sorry, I never saw your reply when I edited my opening post! I was too busy trying to get my head round the problem to notice it  Undecided

Thanks anyway, all suggestions are always worth looking into and help with the problem solving  Wink

Regards

John

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Trouble with .vars files?!?!
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 12:28am
Post Tools
jfk wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:23pm:
Edited:
This is now sorted - it was corrupt forum files in the members directory that was the problem (memberinfo and memberlist). Uploaded from a back-up, logged in as admin, put the forum into maintenance, carried out member maintenance (rebuild list, etc). Never underestimate the need for back-ups  Wink

Edited:
I'm glad this got sorted out for you. It's good to know what to do for anyone else who may have this problem at some point.

John, check the permissions for your Members folder. That should be set at 755.

Next, check the permissions that are set for your admin.var file to see if it's set at 644. Even though that should work just fine, at least until you figure out what's going on, change those permissions to 666 so that you can use your admin account again.

Just so you know, when a few of our members couldn't access their accounts, or edit their profiles when permissions were at 644, they were fine when I changed them to 666. Mind you, pretty much all of our other members are still set with permissions of 644.

Whatever is going on, it seems that you'll also need to rebuild your membership list.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2012 at 12:32am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

jfk

Trouble with disappearing members!?! NOW SORTED
Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:23pm
Post Tools
This is now sorted - it was corrupt forum files in the members directory that was the problem (memberinfo and memberlist). Uploaded from a back-up, logged in as admin, put the forum into maintenance, carried out member maintenance (rebuild list, etc). Never underestimate the need for back-ups  Wink

Hi All

I have a problem! All my members have disappeared apart from 7 of them. Even I can't get in either as my admin account of my other moderator account.

I've tried uploading  a backed up copy of my own files (and setting the correct permissions), but when trying to log in I get a username/password mismatch error.

I'm stuck!

I'm running 2.3.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John

Edited:
Edited to add: If I register as a new member I can then log in normally. Logging out and then back in hasn't shown up any problems (yet).

I can't place my forum in maintenance mode without logging in. Uploading backed up admin files gives me a username/password mismatch. When looking on the list of members (as the newly registered member) the admin account is not showing as valid.

When checking the size of the .vars files on the back-up, and those on my host they are the same.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2012 at 12:28am by jfk »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top