Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Changing default font size when posting. (Read 1,520 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Changing default font size when posting.
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Post Tools
yes most people just take what they have e.g. facebook people dont seem to like what they do most of the time with there edits but if it was that bad then they wood just stop going there but i dont see any one leaving it  Roll Eyes lol

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:15am
Post Tools
I changed the default size on one of my boards because people complained it was too small. On the other one people don't seem to mind the default size.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 1:18am
Post Tools

Thanks for the clarification.

Our forum very closely mirrors the colors in this forum because these colors make it so easy to read.

It's surprising when I see coloring in other forums that make it so difficult to read anything, and yet, for those webmasters they seem quite content about it.

Go figure. To each their own I guess.  Roll Eyes

As for getting complaints about the default text size in our forum being too small, I never got any complaints about it. Changing the text size to 14pt was simply a personal choice of mine. Frankly, until the subject came up here, I didn't give text size much thought.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:06am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:47pm:
Ah, so working with another template was the thing to do. Thank you very much for illustrating this so wonderfully! Great job!

This worked for me quite nicely.
Smiley

no not a new template just copying the css file that you have for your template with the size edit to a new name then applying that css to your template
and if you have members that find it hard to see text then with this and making a new template with high contrast i have been meaning to make one for this but just havent gonten to it yet  Roll Eyes
and glad that you like it i made a setup vid for yabb 2.4 as well and have been meaning to make some more so if you can think of any items that you think a vid can help with pm me with them  Wink

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:47pm
Post Tools

Ah, so working with another template was the thing to do. Thank you very much for illustrating this so wonderfully! Great job!

Edited:
xnoddyx wrote on Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:06am:
no not a new template just copying the css file that you have for your template with the size edit to a new name then applying that css to your template ...

This worked for me quite nicely.
Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2012 at 1:23am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
this is my how to vid

link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMvLrBh-SM

ok if you only have default forum template then goto
admin > Style Sheet find Message Text (.message) there
edit the font size then save as defalt1 then goto
admin > Template Configuration there find Style Sheet
and slecked defalt1 save as Forum default then reload
forum page all good  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Post Tools
I didn't think to use CTRL F5 to refresh the changed style sheet. But I did that after reading your note, and nothing changed.

Thanks to you, however, I did notice with the .message section that I had inadvertently typed 12pt instead of correctly typing it as 12px. Oops. But either way, the updated style sheet did nothing to change the text size setting.

While just thinking about this now, especially since editing wysiwyg won't allow changes to be made to the default style sheet, and yet, an edit to the source is able to be saved, maybe no such changes can be made to the default file at all no matter how you try to utilize the options.

If this is the case, then maybe using another template would allow for edits to text sizes to be effected in the chosen template. Just thinking aloud.

On a related note, text sizes are of course different depending on what browser is being used. Or more accurately, those sizes are rendered based on the settings for each respective browser.

Personally, I favor Firefox, and I've evidently used the Ctrl + command to make the text I see online larger than the default that Firefox uses.

Also, on another related note, I noticed that in our forum if I use Internet Explorer versus Firefox, the text box in IE has a default of 5pt versus FF with a default of 11pt. No biggie. After all, this is only temporary while text is being typed, and that can be changed on the fly very easily with the plus size at the bottom right of the text box.

Note: In this forum, however, text sizes are the same no matter what browser one uses, i.e., IE versus FF.

Bottom line for me at least: I'm not going to sweat the relatively small issue of text sizes in our forum since everyone has the ability to make their own adjustments via their browser options anyway. As such, I think I'll continue to rely on YaBB's default settings, and not worry about what I personally want since it's essentially irrelevant.

Edited:
In our forum, the default text size while typing a post is set at 6px for both Chrome and Safari.

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:06pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
Did you try CTRL F5 to refresh the changed style sheet? That's one than hangs people up.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 4:49pm
Post Tools
Dandello!  Smiley

Unfortunately, even after changing this font size in our forum as instructed, and confirming that the change was saved, the font size still stays the same in the text box at 10pt.

Also, it might be good to point out that like it is in our forum, the default text size appears to be 10pt here in this forum. I think I prefer 11pt, or maybe 12pt, so hopefully I can figure out how to do this at some point.

Edited:
The default size here in this forum appears to be 10pt.

Actual samples:
10pt
11pt
12pt

Evidently, the on-the-fly text size option at the bottom right of this text box while creating and editing a post only changes the text size temporarily. But that's pretty cool.

Of course, as everyone here surely knows, it's easy to change the text size with the handy tools available on the menu that's presented above the text box.

If it matters, I'm not hung up about not being able to change the default text size in our own forum since users have the ability to change the text size on the fly with their browser anyway.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 6:03pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:16am
Post Tools
I'll repeat the directions here.

The standard css file for 2.5 is in yabbfiles/Templates/default/Forum (you should also be able to edit the file directly in Admin Center -> Forum Layout -> Stylesheet ->source

to change the default size for the message block find '.message' (it has a period in front) One or two lines beneath that should be 'font-size:' with a number and a 'px'. Make the number larger (12px is usually pretty good and it's the current default for the posting box here.)
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:18am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill 24

Changing default font size when posting.
Mar 15th, 2012 at 2:06am
Post Tools
I would like some feedback on how to change the default font in a post when you are posting, In my forum it seems everyone has to enlarge the font size when posting, I know there must be an easy fix for this.
I tried search and found 1 post about this, But I really didn't understand what to do.
Thanks in advance.
I am using 2.5 with a Red Noir template.
Bill
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 2:07am by Bill 24 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top