Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Server Error converting YaBB1 content to YaBB2.5 (Read 1,814 times)
GrahamPeters
YaBB Newcomer

Server Error converting YaBB1 content to YaBB2.5
Mar 22nd, 2012 at 3:17pm
Post Tools
Hi... when running Setup, the members and boards convert ok (or so the display says) but when I initiate the next stage, messages, I get an error page saying "internal server error" and it advises me to contact myself and say what I was doing at the time....

I'm wondering what to do next... tyia

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Server Error converting YaBB1 content to YaBB2.5
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 3:50pm
Post Tools
Usually there's a little more info on the internal error message - like what file is acting up. But sometimes not.

Using your host's file manager check and make sure all the necessary files were actually converted.

(I suggest you backup your YaBB from the host, reinstall 2.5, re-set it up, make sure it works, then upload the converted files (messages, boards, members, variables, from your back-up.)  Remember to run the Maintenance functions on them so your counts are right.

If it chokes again, that means there was a problem during the conversion process and you may need to run it again.

It doesn't take much to mess up a computer program. A misplaced line-break or pound sign can do it.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

GrahamPeters
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 3:52pm
Post Tools
Thanks;

Yes, I ploughed through the whole process all over again, and conversion choked on numerous occasions, but it still made further progress each time. Until now.

It's now stuck at around the same point (near or at the end of messages conversion).

Dandello wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 3:50pm:
It doesn't take much to mess up a computer program. A misplaced line-break or pound sign can do it.

Yes, indeed... but if there's a misplaced symbol lurking somewhere in the YaBB Perl files, I really don't know how I can go about locating it!

To my eyes, Perl looks much the same as Javascript, so debugging your code is not really an option for me.

Anything else I can try? - tyia

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Post Tools
Did you follow the steps in the codex, link at bottom of forum.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:41pm
Post Tools
I already knew that I'd have the same problem that you encountered when I tried to upgrade because it seemed that so many people had problems converting their YaBB forums. So what I did was to do a fresh install.

By that I mean I installed the newest version of YaBB (2.4 at the time) as if I had no forum to convert. In other words, I left my older forum intact, and let it continue to operate until I got the newest version going.

Once I had the new forum up and running, I simply copied over all of the membership files, and the entire messages folder as well.

At this point both forums were up, but of course only the older forum was available, and being updated with new messages, new members, and most certainly other actions as well such as the updating of user profiles, etc.

Because both the older and newer versions of YaBB were running, I then put both of them into maintenance mode, and did a quick copy of only the files that had been updated, including new ones that had been created.

This kind of copying/updating usually happens very quickly, so within a couple of minutes I was able to go live with the updated version of our forum, and everything worked just fine.

By the way, in both the older and newer versions of our forum I had mentioned in a note during maintenance mode what was going on so that, if needed, I could very quickly pop back to the older version until I figured things out on my end.

My last step: When the new version of our forum looked fine with all members accounted for, and with all messages included, I very quickly did the following:

/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl was changed to /cgi-bin/yabb-old/YaBB.pl

and

/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl was changed to /cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Because path settings in the Admin Center are ./Admin, etc., those settings didn't need to be changed. They simply worked no matter what the main yabb folder was named.

I don't remember, but in the URL Settings I may have had to changed /cgi-bin/yabb2 to /cgi-bin/yabb.

The exact details of what I've outlined here may not be 100% in terms of the actual names I used, but hopefully you'll get the right idea about what I did.

I'm not saying you should do what I did, but it's an option to consider. After all, if you keep your older forum as it is, there's really nothing to loose by trying this method except for some times of frustration trying to figure it all out.

One thing is for certain; for people like me, YaBB is not particularly easy to install, let alone upgrade.

Not to worry you about this, but you should know that I do not have the working knowledge that others here have in terms of really knowing how YaBB works. I'm just a regular guy who usually hires people for this kind of stuff.

Mind you, I've been using YaBB since June of 2002.  Roll Eyes

Ironically, I'm testing the installation of YaBB 2.5 on another website of ours, but I can't even get the setup.pl to show up because of a 500 error. And this is on the same server that our working YaBB forum is on. So kind of like you, I'm back at square one.

Thankfully, as you must surely already know, YaBB is a really terrific forum. So good luck on the upgrade, and enjoy it when you get it working.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:45pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:11pm:
Did you follow the steps in the codex, link at bottom of forum.

Just remember to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox to read through those instructions since that codex link doesn't render properly in Firefox.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top