Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fake Users Already? (Read 8,215 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Fake Users Already?
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:02pm
Post Tools
Open Register.lng in a good text-editor (not Notepad or Winword) and look for line 180. The program is trying to tell you what's wrong.

There is a single quote, parens, or semi-colon in the wrong place. This may be in the line above.

Better yet, copy lines 178-181 and post them here so we can look at them.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 5:20pm
Post Tools
I think Dandello is right on track with how to figure out what's wrong. She knows about this stuff.  Wink

She makes me wonder that maybe, just maybe, YaBB 2.5 is different enough from 2.4 for this not to work. Or maybe I messed up with the syntax myself.

What I'm going to do right now is to EXACTLY look at what I have in our forum, and copy it here. Meanwhile, please follow Dandello's good advice just in case you have one or more little typos.

Hang tight! In the words of Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back."  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
Okay, the following is the exact syntax that is in our Register.Ing file, but this time I included lines above and below the edited text to more fully show what should be used (at least with YaBB 2.4).

Code
Select All
%floodtxt = (
'1' => 'Your Verification Code is',
'3' => 'Verification Code',
'casewarning' => 'Please type exactly what text appears in the image,<br /><strong>without the first two and last two characters.</strong><br />The characters must be typed in the same order,<br />and they are case-sensitive.',
);

%prereg_txt = (

Do you see the line that starts with 'casewarning' =>? I think ); below that line it is what you might be missing. Just guessing.

Edited:
After re-reading your post about the error message you got, and reading what Dandello had to say about it, I think she's right in that the syntax mistake that's probably causing the error message is just above your line 180 (it should start with 'casewarning' =>). So check that. Better yet, if you post that line of text along with a couple of lines of text before and after it, we can check it for you.

There should be no line break in the line starting with 'casewarning' =>; nothing but what you see in the code box above.

Remember that it only takes one typo to give you the error message you got. Also, as Dandello pointed out, maybe using WordPad if you're using it could be why something is being saved that shouldn't.

In other words, you may get everything correct as you type it in, but something can change if you don't save your file correctly. I used to see this all the time with advertisements that are meant to be included throughout a website. The coding is correct, but then it gets automatically changed when the file is saved.

Just so you know, I actually used WordPad to make my edits, but I do this all the time with the many thousands of pages on our site. I always save each file as a "Plain text document, which is important to do. After all, the uploading of this file needs to be in ASCII.

But again, I think Dandello is spot on about this very possibly being a syntax error, i.e. with at least one typo.

Just to remind you, a typo can include one space that's missing or in the wrong place.  Embarrassed

By the way, Dandello, posts that are above any replies you make in this topic are below any replies that I make.

What?!

I prefer to see the latest posts first (in reverse order). So I'm used to it.  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2012 at 8:33am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #18 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:59pm
Post Tools
Quote:
By the way, Dandello, posts that are above any replies you make in this topic are below any replies that I make.

I look at the message number since every board is different that way. So #15 comes after #14 even if it's above it in the queue.   Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:00pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #19 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:59pm:
I look at the message number since every board is different that way. So #15 comes after #14 even if it's above it in the queue.   Wink

Ah, good point.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 8:08am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:02pm:
Open Register.lng in a good text-editor (not Notepad or Winword) and look for line 180. The program is trying to tell you what's wrong.

There is a single quote, parens, or semi-colon in the wrong place. This may be in the line above.

Better yet, copy lines 178-181 and post them here so we can look at them.

Excellent advice!

I did notice that YaBB 2.5 must be different compared to YaBB 2.4 in terms of the number of lines of code that are in each. For instance, your line 180 is actually line 103 for the older version I'm using. But this shouldn't matter.

What matters is getting the syntax correct. So as Dandello suggested, if you copy lines 178-181 and post them here, we can take a look to make sure it's correct.

I presume that you have a text editor that numbers the lines of code for you, but if you don't, you can download the latest version of Notepad ++ for free from this page.

As I mentioned, I use WordPad for almost all of my HTML editing. However, it's obviously very helpful to have lines of code numbered when that's needed, and Notepad++ does this for you.

IP Logged

UVT
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Post Tools
Thanks guys. Working now BUT it now tell us the capcha is wrong when it is not. 7 attempts now and nothing is missing using only the center letters leaving out the 1st 2 and last 2.

Arg. thoughts?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:26pm
Post Tools
Is there a combination that works? (like putting in ALL the letters or dropping the first two only or the last two only?)

Just because the scripts aren't throwing fatal errors doesn't mean there aren't any errors. I'm betting this one's in Decoder.pl. The replaced line must read:
Code
Select All
&captcha("XX" . $captcha . "XX"); 

. If the last period is missing then the script will be looking for the variable $captcha"XX" not $catpcha . (I've added spaces to make the periods more legible - Perl doesn't actually care.)

Decoder is the only place that should have this line. Make sure all the punctuation marks are where they should be, including the quotes.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:39pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

UVT
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
Opps. we we only added it to the register.lng as mentioned in our prior post from Bill suggested. Does it need to be in every file as outlined? You rock for this help Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Post Tools
All the language file modifications need to be made. Captcha is called by a couple different scripts and the instructions need to be changed in the language files for each of those scripts to reflect the change in Captcha.

The change in Decoder.pl is what makes this mod actually work - that's where the extra letters are added for the Captcha display.

SO: edit Decoder.pl using a good text-editor, test that it's working, then go back and change the language files as indicated by Bill_Myers and the others.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 4:58pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Post Tools
Dandello explains this better than I do.  Smiley

What you did seems to have worked. I just made a test registration in your forum with your captcha modification in place, and it worked perfectly.

The following message was displayed:

Code
Select All
Pre-Registration Completed
Your account is not validated yet
Please validate it within 48 hours by clicking the link in the email you received! 

And then I received the following:

Code
Select All
Pre-Registration Completed
Your account is not approved by the Administration yet
As soon as your application has been reviewed you will receive an e-mail confirmation on your application status 

And then I received the standard welcome message that YaBB sends out on your behalf.

The only recommendation that I would make is to change your captcha to No Random Noise so that it can be easily read. This anti-spam hack works so well against spam-bots that you can give others the opportunity to be able to read the captcha more easily.

Edited:
So with the exception noted in this edit, it all seems good. Smiley

I just tested the message that comes up when one uses the Forgot password link, and I see that you haven't updated that file yet to give the proper instructions. You'll of course want to do that (including the 3 other files that are mentioned in these instructions).
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 6:00pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top