Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Time lock (Read 1,521 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Time lock
Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:55am
Post Tools
In case it matters ...

As you can see from the quote below, there's evidently a bug preventing members to modify their posts.

Aside from that, it seems that a time limit for a member to modify posts is set at 2 days. If this is a conscious choice, then so be it.

On the other hand, if this was inadvertently done, I hope you'll consider that because this is a community help forum for YaBB, the sensible thing to do is to give members the ability to modify mistakes they may have made while helping others. Otherwise, bad advice that may have been given is less likely to be corrected, which of course makes no sense at all.

I can work around the time lock by posting a new reply with any quoted bad information that I may have given. Still, unless you have staff on hand to edit in corrections when bad information is posted, it seems that it would make a lot more sense for members to have the ability to edit their posts.

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 1:23am:
If you check the time of my postings out, you'll see that it had only been 2 minutes since I made the post which I couldn't modify, so "in my case" it was most definitely the bug which I mentioned.

"In your case", if you have qualms with the time limit to modify posts, then you'd probably be best off bringing it up in the Praise and Feedback board where it's more likely to get noticed. JonB is an Administrator too now, so he can also change that setting. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Re: Time lock
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 1:59pm
Post Tools
I have not heard of anyone having this issue before, so perhaps there is a particular process or situation that makes this bug appear.  Post modifications (for your own only, of course) are allowed here.

The time lock is set at 2 days which in most cases is sufficient time to find a mistake in ones' post and correct it.  The reason for it not being longer is so that people do not change information and tell people that it was said that way originally and so that people don't miss new information made by changes.  In this case, after a long time, a new post is usually more appropriate so it is more obvious that new information is available.  I realize there is a time stamp (turned on here) for when the modification took place, but that has not stopped people in the past from lying and causing arguments or just plain missing that the post was modified.  I will set it at 5 days though, taking into consideration that the nature of posts here is mostly support.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Time lock
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
Corey, thanks for your consideration, and for resetting post modifications from 2 days to 5.

On a personal note, I just hope 5 days will be enough for me to catch any mistakes I make, or for others to catch them for me so that they can be corrected.

Especially with a post that's advising/helping others, when a mistake of mine has been noted, or if updated information has been presented, I like to correct my errors, and I also like to quote or link the updated information.

But if it's any consolation, not everyone is as thorough as I like to be ... part of what I do for a living ... so even with my personal considerations, more than likely previous posts with errors in them probably won't be corrected anyway.

Then again, simply authoring a new post can have the same effect.  Roll Eyes

Besides, as you pointed out:

Corey Chapman wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
after a long time, a new post is usually more appropriate so it is more obvious that new information is available

As for restricting the ability of members to modify or delete their own posts because there will be times when some will lie, or cause arguments, or just plain miss a post that's been modified, that's a good point.

In any case, as you noted, my main concern was that the nature of the posts here is support, which is why I thought it best to allow modifications, and even deletions when a post needs to be corrected, or it's become irrelevant.

Bottom line: Every admin should operate their forum as they see fit, and generally speaking, an admin in any given forum will know more than others what's best to do.

In the end, a forum's popularity and sustainability will be dependent upon an admin's actions; in fact, entirely dependent upon that one person alone when it comes down to it.

Not to take away the many contributions and support that others have given to YaBB, but on a somewhat related note, I highly suspect that this forum, and YaBB itself would no longer be around had it not been for your leadership, and your efforts.

Evidence of that was just when this forum, and YaBB's development suddenly ceased when you weren't around to sustain it. For me personally, I felt badly, so I hope that will never happen again.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools