Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) adding images (Read 8,635 times)
greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
adding images
Mar 25th, 2012 at 2:27pm
Post Tools
Hi I have followed the instruction given on a subject for adding images, but when I get to the part that says click advanced setting then file attachment tab in the section marked:Attachment directory exists and has correct permissions? is set at yes, but not with the suggested text it suggests changing it to  ......com/forum/yabbfiles/attachments, but when I change it to this the attachment directory is then set at no, I have even tried it unchanged with the permission set at yes . yet when listing something in the forum when I hit browse button it brings up files I choose one then list the subject but when I click on the link to view is bring up a web page saying URL not found, I can get pictures by uploading to phobucket and inserting the code but others will find it hard, any ideas I need this one solved please Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: adding images
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 2:41pm
Post Tools
In 2.5 the default directory for attachments is  'path-to-your-html-directory'/yabbfiles/Attachments. This path can be changed in Paths.pl.

The prewritten path in Advanced Settings comes from that setting. Advanced Settings isn't giving you a recommendation - it's telling you what you have set up on your server.

So, if you change the path, you are probably changing to a directory that doesn't exist.

The list that comes up is from a file that lists the attachments that are supposed to be there, not from reading the directory where they're supposed to be.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 2:43pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Hi many thanks for your reply it just took a look at my main page and it has a small message that say wev'e up graded you to yaBB 2! not sure what that is if it is the 2.5 or not it the advice the same for this edition, many thanks

IP Logged

greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 2:41pm:
In 2.5 the default directory for attachments is  'path-to-your-html-directory'/yabbfiles/Attachments. This path can be changed in Paths.pl.

The prewritten path in Advanced Settings comes from that setting. Advanced Settings isn't giving you a recommendation - it's telling you what you have set up on your server.

So, if you change the path, you are probably changing to a directory that doesn't exist.

The list that comes up is from a file that lists the attachments that are supposed to be there, not from reading the directory where they're supposed to be.

Just check my cPanel and it is yaBB21 but there is no Path.pl when I look in sources gives all others .pl but not paths, would it be called anything else? many thanks

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:01pm
Post Tools
Quote:
$uploaddir = "/home/cometopo/public_html/yabb/Attachments";

That's the folder where your attachments are supposed to be uploaded to according to your Paths.pl.

You should also check and see if the folder being recommended actually exists. If that folder doesn't exist, then you may need to create it. Mind that non-Windows servers are case-sensitive. 'Attachments' is different than 'attachments'. And YaBB's attachment folder is usually 'Attachments'.

If it's still a puzzle, give a shout to JonB or Derek. Both are knowledgeable about older versions of YaBB.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:10pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:39pm
Post Tools
many thanks will give it a try, will let you know either way

IP Logged

greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:51pm
Post Tools
this is the message i get when I upload a photo then click on the link it brings up another page saying
Not Found

The requested URL /yabb/install/Attachments/P1060898__450x338__001.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.8.8 Server at cometoportugal.com Port 80

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:12pm
Post Tools
Edited:
I'm surprised that your folder for attachments isn't as follows:

/yabbfiles/Attachments

Then again, it really doesn't matter where your attachments folder is. Wherever it is, you'll see it's path in AdminCenter.

greenparkland wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:51pm:
Not Found

The requested URL /yabb/install/Attachments/P1060898__450x338__001.jpg was not found on this server.

The /install/ in your path gives me pause. Surely this isn't a directory on your server, is it? This should be easy enough to check through your FTP client.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:26pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:19pm
Post Tools
sorry this is new to me I am in my cPanel and just clicked FTP account and it wants be to create one

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
greenparkland wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:19pm:
sorry this is new to me I am in my cPanel and just clicked FTP account and it wants be to create one

Then I guess you should create it. Then you'll be good to go.  Wink
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:24pm:
I think I just gave you bad advice. I think the better advice is to simply create an attachments folder where you want it in a public folder, and then reference that path in your path settings.

Suggested path: /yabbfiles/Attachments
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:25pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Post Tools
I think I just gave you bad advice. I think the better advice is to simply create an attachments folder where you want it in a public folder, and then reference that path in your path settings.

Suggested path: /yabbfiles/Attachments
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:25pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

greenparkland
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Post Tools
when I go into my file manager in my cPanel when I go to my file in the yaBB folder it pulls up all the files and in the path.pl the following is set

$uploaddir = "/home/cometopo/public_html/yabb/Attachments";
as soon as I change it it show in the admin centre on the Attachment directory exists and has correct permissions?  as no
if I leave it as above it shows it as yes, but when I upload a photo in the forum post it brings up another page with the message I posted earlier

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
You got a link to your forum?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:45pm
Post Tools
Okay, since /home/cometopo/public_html/yabb/Attachments is a valid path, i.e., it exists, and it has correct permissions, then any photo that is in that folder should show up just fine.

As such, after you've attached a photo, go to the folder mentioned above to see if the photo is actually there. According to your error, that photo doesn't exist; at least not in that folder.

So, is the photo you attached/uploaded showing up in that folder on your server?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Post Tools
Important: You should check your file attachments page in your Admin Center.

Click Advanced Settings.

Then click File Attachments.

Look over your settings. How's everything look there?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top