Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Segnette.com fishing forum (Read 25,568 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Re: Segnette.com fishing forum
Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 9:11am
Post Tools
The links are showing up on my end. Some of the entries did not include a link or email. I still have a backup of the old one, Ill have to look over it again just to make sure.

I also just finished re-directing to the new guestbook thru htaccess and placed a new link on the side border. I wanted the top of the forum to match the rest of the pages on the site and not have 2 links to the guestbook in the forum.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 8:57am
Post Tools
It seems that you forgot to include the email addresses and websites that some of your guests included when they posted entries into your original guest book.

The only other thing that you inadvertently missed was to link your updated guest book on the main page of your site.

Still, what a nice melding of your site and your forum.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 8:31am
Post Tools
Ok. I went ahead and transfered the entries to the new guest book. It actually wasn't that bad. Thanks for that suggestion.

I guess I just had to take on the challenge. Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 6:27am
Post Tools
Thanks, Derek. I might look into that.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:53am
Post Tools
The Facebook comparison was me thinking that it would be great to have YaBB developed into such an easy to install app that everyone would be using it to chat it up online in a much more organized way.

Or more accurately, YaBB would have a central interface like Facebook, and it would branch out to all parts of the world.

Just thinking aloud again.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 3:36am
Post Tools
By the way Mervin, if you did want to copy the entries from your old guestbook to your new forum guestbook, then you could add them manually to 'guestbook.txt' in the 'Variables' directory. You should find it easy enough to see how it works if you open it up in a text editor and take a look at a couple of the entries as an example - and you would need to convert the times to unix time stamps, but you can do that here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

It would be a little time consuming, so I guess it depends how bothered you are about it. Just thought I'd mention it...

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:13am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:04am:
My first installation of YaBB, I messed up something in the paths by moving something, and instead of trying to fix it, I deleted the whole forum and started from scratch. Then in the same night, I added something that altered the copyright in some way and since I didnt know squat, I started over again instead of simply overwriting the file that I had messed up.

He he! I actually done exactly the same thing (in both cases) when I first started installing YaBB. Roll Eyes

We all have to start somewhere, right?

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:04am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:09am:
The great thing about modding - especially if you add them manually - is that you get to know the code,

Adding mods to my forum is what actually what helped me to learn my way around the coding of YaBB. Don't get me wrong, I'm still far from being a coder but im no longer terrified at trying to change something. Ive actually gotten brave enough to edit the mod file myself when it conflicts with another mod.

With that being said, don't let it scare you away from modding your forum, Bill. I've only found a few instances where I had to do that myself. Most of the time, there is already a compatible mod out ther when there is a conflict. Besides, If you already know your way around some of the code or know some HTML... you could probably figure it out.

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 1:40am:
I always think that the best way to learn though is the hard way, and to just do it.

My first installation of YaBB, I messed up something in the paths by moving something, and instead of trying to fix it, I deleted the whole forum and started from scratch. Then in the same night, I added something that altered the copyright in some way and since I didnt know squat, I started over again instead of simply overwriting the file that I had messed up. What a learning experience.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:28am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 1:40am
Post Tools
I always think that the best way to learn though is the hard way, and to just do it. You only ever totally understand how something works if you found it problematic to begin with and found the solution yourself.

"Everything is easy if you know how", as they say. And if you don't, well, it's totally alien. Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:57am:
I remember that installing YaBB is relatively easy once you get the hang of it, but still, not just anyone can do it.

Bummer for the public at large. After all, it's not like creating your own Facebook page.

It can't really be compared to Facebook though, because you don't install Facebook on your own server/host. Creating a Facebook page is basically the same as creating a user account in YaBB, which is just as easy.

And anyone installing any software like YaBB is expected to have basic knowledge at least in FTP. Ultimately, it's aimed at web masters running their own website, not at general users wanting to setup a user account. You could only really compare it to starting your own site similar to Facebook with a 'Facebook clone script', which would, of cause, be just the same as installing YaBB. Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:16am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:57am
Post Tools
I customized our forum from its start in 2002, and integrated it into an existing domain of ours that I've been operating since 1997. But I did it without using any mods; just old fashioned HTML editing with Wordpad. I still update the bulk of our sites this way.

I'm so old school that the mods scare me a bit. But so too did my first YaBB installation back in 2002.

I'm once again testing out a YaBB installation on another domain of ours, and I just realized with some surprise that I have no clue about what I'm doing. I remember that installing YaBB is relatively easy once you get the hang of it, but still, not just anyone can do it.

Bummer for the public at large. After all, it's not like creating your own Facebook page.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:09am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:27pm:
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:44pm:
WestwegoMan wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:29pm:
Once up you install a few, you kinda get hooked. At least I did.

It's extremely addictive - Once you pop, you can't stop! BoardMod should come with a health warning. Smiley

I couldn't agree with Derek more. Its very addictive once you get the hang of it.

The great thing about modding - especially if you add them manually - is that you get to know the code, so it gives you the confidence and makes it easier to modify your forum to your liking.

And before you know it, you'll be making your own... Smiley

Nice to see someone modding their forum and putting the mods to use by the way. Not many people seem to mod their forums as much these days. I always thought customizing your forum was the best bit - and makes it feel more like your own. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:11am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:57pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:27pm:
The FAQ on this page explains it pretty good. You could always drop in on the forum and ask around for help. The guys over there are always willing to help out.

Although I have never had a major problem arise from installing a mod, the one thing that I would suggest is to make a seperate forum as a test forum for installing mods first. Thats what I did when I fiirst started so I didnt have to worry about messing up my live board.

Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

Of all the things to think about while taking a shower ... no idea why ... I was just thinking of putting up a test forum to work on. I actually did this before on one of our domains, and it helped a lot. I subsequently deleted it.

I used to help other webmasters set up their own forums, but that was back in the days of YaBB Gold 1.4 (circa 2002). I need to step up to that learning curve again.

Edited:
Corrected the name of the first YaBB version I used in 2002.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:59pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:27pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I'm guessing the latest is BoardMod 2.5.6 from 11.11.2007.

2.5.6 is the version of boardmod that I use. I dont really know about earlier versions cause I started out playing around with YaBB when version 2.3 was out, therefore I could not advise on the real early versions of YaBB.

The FAQ on this page explains it pretty good. You could always drop in on the forum and ask around for help. The guys over there are always willing to help out.

Although I have never had a major problem arise from installing a mod, the one thing that I would suggest is to make a seperate forum as a test forum for installing mods first. Thats what I did when I fiirst started so I didnt have to worry about messing up my live board.

That being said, It's always best to have a back-up of your live forum, just incase.

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:44pm:

It's extremely addictive - Once you pop, you can't stop! BoardMod should come with a health warning. Smiley

I couldn't agree with Derek more. Its very addictive once you get the hang of it.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the recommendations.

What got me stuck was the installation of BoardMod itself. I'm guessing the latest is BoardMod 2.5.6 from 11.11.2007.

What unnerves me about it is that the FAQ page seems to be outdated in a big way. See the following:

Quote:

On the other hand, I guess I can check out the following:

Quote:
If you need an even more detailed description, please try Boardmod for the Bloody Novice.

For me personally, the main reason I wanted to add mods was to stop spammers from registering in our forum. As an example, I really like the way spamfruit is used on the registration page.

What I did instead was to implement a hack that was relatively easy to edit, and it stopped spammers cold. That versus having to install BoardMod.

Edited:
Edited for formatting.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:15pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:44pm
Post Tools

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:44pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top