Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Segnette.com fishing forum (Read 24,292 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Re: Segnette.com fishing forum
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Post Tools
It is actually pretty simple to install the mods. Once up you install a few, you kinda get hooked. At least I did.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
What you did with your guest book; very cool. That's probably the most ideal way to have done it.

As for the guest book mod you installed, and your other mods as well, I'm always impressed whenever I see an admin including mods.

I'm told it's relatively easy to install mods once you get the hang of it, but I still haven't hopped onto that learning curve.

Gotta' do it!  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 2:19pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the suggestions. I put the pages on a static page and left it on the site. I also added the guestbook mod to use as a new guest book within the forum, that way guest can still sign it without haing to join. I didnt really want to force people to join just to sign the gb.

I was hesitant to add it since there may not be one available when the new version of YaBB comes out. Guess ill just have to deal with that when it happens. It definately wont stop me from upgrading since it will be for the better.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:32am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 1:05am:
Good idea Bill. I'll look into doing something like that. I should be able to just put the entries on a static page.

Entries on a static page will work, i.e., possibly as follows:

depablo wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:42am:
Some forums I visit actually have a forum board named guestbook, solely for leaving comments.

Or wherever.

Important: If you do move your guest book over into your forum, you'll probably want to keep intact the email addresses and websites as they were listed by your guests when they added their own guest book entry.

Hint: A quick way to save the email and website information versus doing it one entry at a time is to save your two guest book entry pages as local HTML files. That way, when you pull each page up in a browser, you'll see the respective information already typed out for you, which in turn can be copied, and pasted into your forum.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:42am
Post Tools
Some forums I visit actually have a forum board named guestbook, solely for leaving comments.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 1:05am
Post Tools
Good idea Bill. I'll look into doing something like that. I should be able to just put the entries on a static page.

Corey, thanks for the compliment. It took some work to get it like that but it would not have been possible without help from all the great members at yabbforum.com and the ones who devote their time to writing mods. I also agree with you, YaBB is easyto modify. Thanks to all of you for a great forum.

Mervin.

<div class=

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:02am
Post Tools
Good suggestions, Bill.

Good luck on your forum, westwegoman.  It looks like you have put a lot of time into customizing it, which is a good testament to how easily YaBB can be modified and the fact that a forum is more effective when integrated into a site rather than leaving it in its default format.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Post Tools
I'm glad your guest book is still up, because I have a 'by the way' suggestion:

If there's a way to lock your guest book with an entry by you pointing to your forum, that's the way I'd go. After all, people did use your guest book, and their comments deserve to remain online.

Of maybe you can copy and paste those guestbook quotes into your forum somewhere.

Just thinking aloud ...  Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 12:31am
Post Tools
Thanks Bill for the Info. I never even thought of the guest book affecting it. Now that you mention it, I'm going to scrap it.

7440 members... Very nice. I would be happy with 500, as things are going now. Before I installed the forum, I read some things on forums and had somewhat of an idea of the difficulty it would be but thought I would give it a shot anyway.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. Ive actually enjoyed working on it and now am looking forward to YaBB3.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:05pm
Post Tools
Mervin, your YaBB forum looks great. Way to go!  Smiley

As for building up your forum's membership, I have a few suggestions that should help push things along if you'll consider them. Keep in mind that building up a membership is mainly dependent on how popular your site becomes. Over time your site should grow exponentially as long as you update it regularly, and you stay true to its purpose.

One suggestion is to shutter your guest book in favor of your forum. As you can easily see, YaBB is much more comprehensive. The idea is to have your site's visitors congregating in one place.

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:33pm:
I'm glad your guest book is still up, because I have a 'by the way' suggestion:

If there's a way to lock your guest book with an entry by you pointing to your forum, that's the way I'd go. After all, people did use your guest book, and their comments deserve to remain online.

Of maybe you can copy and paste those guestbook quotes into your forum somewhere.

Just thinking aloud ...  Smiley

Another suggestion is to regularly mention your forum with relevant links to it whenever you update your site's offerings.

Example: Whenever a new photo set is referenced on your site, a corresponding link to that contributor's photos can be included in your forum (along with the photos) so that people can post comments. For your contributors, having their own topic will be like having a mini-site of their own within your forum.

I've mentioned my suggestions because our own forum grew quite nicely back in 2002 when I incorporated it into the main pages of our site, which went live in 1997. Our forum isn't a particularly large one with only 7,440 members as of this post, but it stays pretty active. As I type this reply, we have 15 members on the site, and 941 guests.

Most Users ever online were 1414 on March 21, 2012 at 10:48am.
Most Members ever online were 28 on March 16, 2012 at 9:58am.
Most Guests ever online were 1392 on March 21, 2012 at 10:48am.

Have fun with your forum, and good luck with its growth.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:36pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Segnette.com fishing forum
Mar 25th, 2012 at 2:36pm
Post Tools
I have my board running 2.5AE now with a few mods added to it. Not yet quite the board that I want it to be but its a work in progress.

In the beginning, I didn't realize how much work it would be to get a community going.

Atleast YaBB and the mod writers help make it easy to manage and tweak. The hard work is getting members.

Stop by and check it out.

Bayou Segnette Fishing Forum

Mervin.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top