Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Segnette.com fishing forum (Read 25,080 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Segnette.com fishing forum
Reply #70 - May 17th, 2012 at 2:07am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 4:28pm:
Well, if I have it done right, it ties into the YaBB members directory, which is supposed to prevent non-members from uploading.

Time will tell...

That's the rub for me. Members in our forum aren't the only ones who submit photos and stories to publish, and video clips to broadcast. In fact, chat forum members represent a small percentage of our site's traffic.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #69 - May 16th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 4:53pm:
The Gallery mods for Yabb are not industrial strength like Coppermine, but for a personal interest/hobby site they are just great.

True. If the gallery ever gets out of hand, i guess I'll have to look to a better solution. For now, this should do.

Once the new version of yabb is out and fully supports database, then that may be the route for me to take, although it will be a completely new learning experience for me.

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #68 - May 16th, 2012 at 4:53pm
Post Tools
I have to agree - the Gallery is just right for your site.

The Gallery mods for Yabb are not industrial strength like Coppermine, but for a personal interest/hobby site they are just great. (I run Coppermine on my 'big' [but private] main YaBB Forum).  Getting Coppermine to run, and work right was more work that getting YaBB running, LOL.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #67 - May 16th, 2012 at 4:28pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 4:06pm:
Besides, I would otherwise have an issue with spammers uploading advertisements versus legitimate photos that our site showcases.

Well, if I have it done right, it ties into the YaBB members directory, which is supposed to prevent non-members from uploading.

Time will tell...

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #66 - May 16th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 2:06pm:
Sincerely Bill -

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Good luck with Mods, they are addictive you know...  Cheesy

Now we just have to work  on those 500 ISE errors...

Wink

I know. I feel like such an idiot.  Roll Eyes

If anyone might be wondering, I haven't actually been working on my 500 error for a while since it's not a pressing issue. I obviously did one or more things wrong when I attempted a fresh install of V2.5 AE! - so it's me; not YaBB.

WestwegoMan wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 3:45pm:
Just added the album.pl gallery to my forum using the already installed custom page mod.

Segnette.com Gallery
Your album looks great.  Smiley

As for that mod, and others, when the time comes for you and the rest of us to upgrade to YaBB's newest version when it's ready for public use, I guess each of us will have to make note of the mods we've installed, see if they're part of YaBB's new version, and then wait for them to be re-written so that they can be installed again as needed.

I was told over on BoardMod that this is just the way things are with mods, so generally speaking it's encouraged not to install too many mods.

I've installed three mods. I uninstalled one of them, and then disabled another one of them in favor of a 3rd mod that I really wanted to use.

I like the idea of using an album for members to use, but with well over 75,000 photos on the site that has a YaBB forum, the album mod probably isn't a good choice for our site.

Besides, I would otherwise have an issue with spammers uploading advertisements versus legitimate photos that our site showcases.

Then we have our videos ... a whole other ballgame.  Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #65 - May 16th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
Just added the album.pl gallery to my forum using the already installed custom page mod.

Segnette.com Gallery

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #64 - May 16th, 2012 at 2:06pm
Post Tools
Sincerely Bill -

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Good luck with Mods, they are addictive you know...  Cheesy

Now we just have to work  on those 500 ISE errors...

Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB's future!
Reply #63 - May 15th, 2012 at 11:02pm
Post Tools
Now that I'm thinking about it again, I think somebody wrote a mod that changes the permissions for a YaBB installation, which of course is the function of CHMOD (short for "change mode").

Regarding mods, now that I finally installed the BoardMod program, and I've learned how to install mods (two of them), it would be really cool to have mods more organized so that they can be easily found.

Questioning Hopefully with YaBB's next edition, BoardMod can be part of YaBB's core.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #62 - May 15th, 2012 at 4:32pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 4:06pm:
Personally, I think that doing something about having to chmod files after uploading them would be a big improvement.

Maybe JonB can split this. Smiley

I agree.

With SMF for instance, if or when a file doesn't have the correct permissions, their software lets you know by listing the actual files that need to be changed. It's almost as if it has artificial intelligence guiding you along.

For everyone else, keep in mind that Merv is clearly much more knowledgeable about tweaking software, and figuring out how things work than so many other people are. So of course he'll be able to install a YaBB forum. This is not the case for so many other people.

Obviously, smarties like Dandello, Corey, JonB, Derek, and others who offer their help can easily install, and manage YaBB's software. But again, this is not the case for so many other people.

Bottom line: Make YaBB an easier forum to install, and its growth will once again grow exponentially.

I'm amusingly reminded of some DOS programs that I wrote years ago, of which the installation could only be understood by me. So I was the only one who could use them.

I ended up adding self-installation of those programs so that others could use them.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #61 - May 15th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
Personally, I think that doing something about having to chmod files after uploading them would be a big improvement.

Other than that, I'm actually pretty happy with the installation process. After its done, you feel rewarded for a little work:)

Maybe JonB can split this. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2012 at 4:10pm by WestwegoMan »  
<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB's future!
Reply #60 - May 15th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Post Tools
Having a couple of SMF test forums myself, I can confirm that YaBB makes it much easier to modify a template than SMF does. For me personally, this is important.

Obviously like the rest of you, I'm biased in favor of YaBB, maybe in part because I've been using it since 2002, so I have a vested interest in wanting it to thrive.

The irony about YaBB versus SMF is that YaBB isn't for the masses because of the level of difficulty installing it. Installing SMF is a breeze, so of course many more people will choose it over YaBB even if they would have otherwise preferred to install YaBB.

Another irony is that people using SMF don't really have a way to switch to YaBB even if or when YaBB's installation becomes user friendly for the masses. If would be wonderful if YaBB could provide a way to do this, i.e., provide a way to port over SMF's membership and messages into a YaBB forum.

Until that happens, or in addition to it, or maybe even in lieu of it, perhaps a tutorial could be made to encourage, and show how a SMF forum can be made into an archive to close it out in favor of YaBB.

If it was desired, I suppose additional profile fields in YaBB could signify a member's status as being "expert" or whatever right away with a notation that they've been a member of the forum for so many years, and with so many posts, etc. Previous posts could be read by checking out the archived SMF forum.

In any case, if in fact YaBB simply is the best forum on the planet, and I think it is when the big picture is taken into account, then making YaBB's installation easy for the masses could very well once again make YaBB the most used, and popular forum in the world.

YaBB has a rich history. It's still around. And most importantly, Corey's "Sneak preview of the Future" is nothing less than spectacular.

Very exciting!  Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #59 - May 15th, 2012 at 1:32pm
Post Tools
That's good to hear, Merv! Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #58 - May 15th, 2012 at 1:27pm
Post Tools
Great -

Its really refreshing to hear that others still appreciate YaBB's flexibility.  I have always thought its one of the most versatile pieces of software engineering I have ever seen.

"Welcome Back"

Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #57 - May 15th, 2012 at 11:54am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:02am:
It looks like you have put a lot of time into customizing it, which is a good testament to how easily YaBB can be modified and the fact that a forum is more effective when integrated into a site rather than leaving it in its default format.

So right.

While SMF is a good forum, they do not make it easy to modify the template.

Off to work. To be continued...

<div class=

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #56 - May 15th, 2012 at 10:37am
Post Tools
Nice to see you back, SMF might work okay but themes really look pants  Grin