Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Unwanted Guests and Pre-registrations (Read 3,425 times)
Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Unwanted Guests and Pre-registrations
Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:35pm
Post Tools
I have a registration system (programmed by my daughter) that requires "Pre-Registration" (they fill out a registration form and must email it to us so we can verify email address, etc). The filter works fine and we have never had an "invasion" or an un-wanted registration.

BUT >>> in the last 6 months, we have been "bombarded" by malicious attempts to register >>> meaning about 30-75 pre-registrations appear and I normally would have to use the "Instant Reject" to get rid of them. Putting in many IP addresses in "Banned Members" doesn't seem to help because they are NOT members -- they are "bad-bots" or something. The Guardian once in a while informs me there was an attempt, but I'd like to block them from the get-go -- I can tell it is a "blind attempt" to get in -- the usernames are surel random generated as are the phoney emails that populate the field required and the "reason for joining" is always something lame and generic like "To contribute and make friends" -- Though I have found a way to daily delete from the members file all entries with the extension *.wait and *.pre, I'd still like to prevent them from even "getting in" as guest to register (we deny them access so they cannot even view the forums) -- but isn't there some way to block this?
I am currently on YaBB 2.2.1!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Norm
Site Name - Poemtrain.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top