Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) It may just be a token effort ... (Read 2,589 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: It may just be a token effort ...
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 3:56am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:59am:
The thing is, in some way or another, that's how money is made.

Tell me about it. It makes me think of those guys who try to sell you roses when you're eating a meal. You get rid of the first one and then another comes along... and then another... and another... until they steal your manners away so by the end of the meal you're just snarling at them.

Maybe that's how we can catch spammers - it's the same guys - they spam by day and sell roses by night. Cheesy

No offense intended to any YaBBers who do happen to sell roses.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:59am
Post Tools
I think most people feel the way you do about ads. I feel that way, too. The thing is, in some way or another, that's how money is made.

It's certainly how Google makes it.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:35am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:01pm:
By the way, regarding advertisements, they're easy enough to ignore. I barely see them any more.

I can't bear adverts on websites myself. Don't get me wrong, I understand people who need to cover their hosting costs with just a few - I don't mind that - but some people go totally over the top obviously just trying to make a bit of money hoping you'll click on their ads. If I click on a website with too many ads, the majority of the time I'll click straight back off again.

Adverts are one of many things that are destroying humanity (let alone the internet) - they drive me nuts - but maybe that's just me. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2012 at 2:58am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:01pm
Post Tools
By the way, regarding advertisements, they're easy enough to ignore. I barely see them any more.

Even though our most popular site is advertiser supported, ironically enough, I actually encourage regular visitors to our site to ignore the ads. I know. That seems counterintuitive, but one can still make a profit without spamming things up ... kind of like free TV.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:57pm
Post Tools
I've usually found Google to be very relevant. I think that's the primary reason that it became so popular, and quickly surpassed Yahoo. But I guess that depends on what a person searches. It also depends on how one uses its services.

I know firsthand that a website can get an enormous amount of traffic from Google simply by allowing it to freely access, and render relevant search results.

Interestingly, if you set up Google Search on your web site, search results will appear within seconds of publication. It's a very handy search tool that we provide to visitors on one of our sites in particular.

By the way, YaBB's own support forum could very easily get a lot of traffic from Google if they simply utilized its search engine for searches.

At the present time, however, this forum doesn't allow it as you can see with the following error message:

Code
Select All
System Information

This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!
Action is: recent
Your Domain: www.yabbforum.com
Referer Domain: www.google.com 

If you're curious about it, the following is an example of a Google search string for this forum (using Google's own search engine):

Code
Select All
"Google's search results" site:http://www.yabbforum.com 

I should point out that it isn't at all necessary to utilize Google's search engine so finely with your web site to have quick and relevant search results.

In any case, like them or not, Google is very clearly a leader in the search engine business. One can fight it, or one can utilize its offerings; quite selfishly I might add.

Your points are well taken. I simply prefer to see the glass as being half full.  Wink

P.S. Even though I fully appreciate what Google has done for one of our sites in particular, it's not the only search engine entity that I've utilized. After all, diversification is always best.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:27pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:21pm:
This is one of the reasons that, generally speaking, Google is pretty good at presenting relevant results.

Surely that's a joke, right? I can never find anything relevant without trailing through a load of trash for an hour first. Most of the results are just junk, full of advertisements and pop-ups. It's like YouTube these days (again, now owned by Google), full of advertisements and the majority of results are just by idiots 'recreating' what you're looking for. Huh
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:28pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:21pm
Post Tools
I think that Google has pretty much always focused on content rather than SEO since the latter can be manipulated quite easily. This is one of the reasons that, generally speaking, Google is pretty good at presenting relevant results.

Interestingly, I noticed that a new post here in this forum will more often than not show up in Google's search results within a minute or two of publication. Pretty impressive.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:05pm
Post Tools
Oddly enough, Google are supposed to be undergoing changes to focus more on content rather than SEO:

http://www.tekgoblin.com/2012/03/18/google-is-planning-to-penalize-overly-optimi...

Though, I don't trust any company like Google which collects information on the public anyway - it's why I don't have personal information of any sort on Facebook - it's all rather sinister in my opinion.

I've even read of a few people who are paranoid of reCAPTCHA since it has been taken over by Google. It's now got to be the most widely used CAPTCHA on the net, so if Google are supporting comment spam in any way... well, I'll let you do the math...
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:08pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 1:11am
Post Tools
Thanks for the link Derek -

It was (at the same time): informative, amusing, saddening, and frustrating - and it made me think a lot.

No one should ever wonder 'why' when it comes to forum and blog Spam - the 'Why' has six letters in its name, starts with a 'G' and ends with an 'e' and was founded by 'two guys from Stanford'.  Yeppers - SEO wins agin  Smiley

I'm waiting for them to be stand-up guys and saying  "we made this freakin' mess, we are going to fix it" (yeah, right)

Shocked

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Post Tools
Good stuff! It's about time they seriously started to crack down on it. In an ideal world though, they would reveal the bank details and addresses of those involved so we can steal their money and send them exciting offers on boots and enhancing their manhood. Smiley

On a related note, I don't know if any of you have seen this before, but this guy took things into his own hands... rather amusing...

http://blackhat.me/to-catch-a-spammer/

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
It may just be a token effort ...
Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:31am
Post Tools
but no one else 'large' seems to be on this mission.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/technology/microsoft-raids-tackle-online-crime...

Props to MS, whether you love them or not...

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top