Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spamfruits link (Read 276 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Spamfruits link
Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 2:00am
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:14am:
Thinking out loud, I would say the bloke simply got fed up. Apart from the odd post his forum basically died after the main support forum opened back up.

I never posted much so I am guilty, I get bored easily and real life issues are more important at the moment. Also possably politics played a part in relation to the way the project was heading?

I feel really bad about it, and somewhat responsible too. Sad

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 5:20pm
Post Tools
Spamfruits seems like a terrific anti-spam mod, so I hope it becomes part of YaBB again in the not too distant future.

I don't use Spamfruits, but that's only because I haven't stepped up to the learning curve that's needed to understand, and install BoardMod.

Since Spamfruits was developed specifcially for YaBB, I'm hoping it will be part of the newest version so that webmasters with average knowledge like me can install it with relative ease through the Admin Center.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:14am
Post Tools
Thinking out loud, I would say the bloke simply got fed up. Apart from the odd post his forum basically died after the main support forum opened back up.

I never posted much so I am guilty, I get bored easily and real life issues are more important at the moment. Also possably politics played a part in relation to the way the project was heading?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 1:38pm
Post Tools
I've not heard anything from him. If you remember though, he was going to finish it about last January/February, so I'm guessing it's probably for similar reasons.

I did try to reply to your PM, but it looks like you may have accidently added me to your PM ban list...

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 7:04pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 1:29pm:
Hi WebMe,

Sadly, Carsten has closed down his website which all of his Mods were on, so unless he uploads them to BoardMod at some point, then I'm afraid they're not going to be available. Sad

Hi Derek Barnstorm do you know why Carsten closed down his website and the loss of his mods for yabb is not good  Cry i am thankful that i still have my mod files for my forums and can only hope that
Carsten will release his mods on boardmod or starts his website up agen

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:50pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:32pm:
It's basically just common courtesy and good manners. Whatever the license is, we still need to have consideration and respect for fellow mod writers and YaBBers. Smiley

Yeah, I'm most definitely with you on that. I've always made it a habit to credit people as it's due.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Post Tools
Yeah, you're right, within YaBB. You can read the license here:

http://www.yabbforum.com/licenses.php

And in fact, legally, I'm pretty sure that when a mod writer releases a mod, then anybody can do what they like with it (as long as it's part of YaBB). But mod writers have an 'unwritten code' for when other mod writers have a break or move on to other things: If you want to update or release someone else's Mod, then you should try to contact them first. If you don't get a reply back the first time then you should try another two or three times over a period of one to two months. If you haven't had a reply back at the end of that period of time, then you are free to update or release without permission, as long as the original authors name remains in place and full credit is given to them.

It's basically just common courtesy and good manners. Whatever the license is, we still need to have consideration and respect for fellow mod writers and YaBBers. Smiley

Saying that, I don't actually think Carsten would mind at all if someone was to post the zip file up, but I still think it's common courtesy to try and contact him first.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 10:41pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
Thanks for mentioning this. I thought that YaBB is an open source project, and the only requirement to share or use it is to keep the copyright intact.

Can somebody please clarify this for me? Thanks.

Edited:
And here it is:

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:32pm:
Yeah, you're right, within YaBB. You can read the license here:

http://www.yabbforum.com/licenses.php
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:51pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:20pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
Maybe someone who uses it can give this support forum the coding for it so that it's once again available.

You would need Carsten's permission before you could do that. There's rules to protect mod writers which means you can't redistribute or post up their code without their say-so first. Though if someone was desperate for a copy, I can't see any harm if someone sent it them privately via email.

First though, I would suggest making a post over in the BoardMod thread and see if you get a pesponse:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319393134
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:22pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Post Tools
I didn't realize that the spamfruits mod wasn't available to YaBBers. Maybe someone who uses it can give this support forum the coding for it so that it's once again available.

Edited:
There may or may or may not be a copyright issue here. Please read this post. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that more anti-spam options will be included with YaBB's latest version once it goes public.

By the way, please don't rush the newest version of YaBB out to the public before the bugs are worked out. Like a reviewer of YaBB once posted, and I'm paraphrasing, it's better to wait than it is to give the public an updated version that is buggy.

I should point out that this same reviewer gave YaBB an excellent review.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:20pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 1:29pm
Post Tools
Hi WebMe,

Sadly, Carsten has closed down his website which all of his Mods were on, so unless he uploads them to BoardMod at some point, then I'm afraid they're not going to be available. Sad

IP Logged

WebMe

None
Spamfruits link
Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:16am
Post Tools
I wanted to check out spamfruits as mentioned in this post: http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1321729071
But the link is broken, this may only be temporary but does anyone have another link?

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top