Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) revenge on the Spammers (Read 4,035 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: revenge on the Spammers
Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:18pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Non-YaBB Programming and Technical Help [move by] Dandello.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Post Tools
Thanks JonB!  Smiley

I'm more amused by the spam than bothered by it. What's bothered me is that spam should not be tolerated in YaBB's own support forum. There's no excuse for it, especially since it's relatively easy to stop it cold.

As for sending you private spam reports, you and the rest of the YaBB leadership will either do something about it on your own, or you won't.

If it's any consolation, however, I've certainly made my point about spam posts being unacceptable here in this forum, so I'll now refrain from pointing out the obvious.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 4:10pm
Post Tools
Bill -

Anything is possible including building a spam-bot that can pass a Turing test I suppose. 

However, as I have had said - I think I have beaten the box-opener spammer. If it retruns and makes a post about charms, JonB will be buying Bill a cocktail, glass of wine, beer, fruit smoothee, whatever, of your choice...  That is how high my confidence is.

I did some research on 'successful spam' on Yabbforum.com - and it is as I thought it was - a tiny issue.  I am moving my offices (literally) - but when I get done and things settle down, I will examine all the aspects of implementing one of these solutions as part of YaBB. That includes a fair number of considerations.

I also need to converse with Corey and James (and proabably two others) to make usre I know how things stand.  OTAY???

I suggest you simply PM me if I have missed SPAM for now.

Thanks
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:08am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 8:06pm:
Bill - I will again point out to you that you are commenting on the activity of a 'hu-bot' that reads and writes English, even edits the posts on a second pass.  Please now tell me what measure you have suggested would be effective...

Cool

Edited:
I think I have fixed this spammer - even though it's a hu-bot...

Jon, what you are actually seeing are sophisticated spam-bots that have fooled you into thinking they are human. That's how good they've become.

My suggestion is to get Corey to at least try installing one of the anti-spam mods; maybe the one with the fruits; whatever it's called.

Edited:
Ah, here it is, Carsten's Spamfruits.

From what others are saying about it, that mod stops spam-bots cold. I don't have the knowledge to install it, but you or Corey would certainly know how to install it. It certainly looks pretty.  Wink

You can also try implementing the anti-spam hack that ggn wrote for YaBB. Even I was able to make the necessary edits to make it work. To date, hundreds of thousands of spam-bots have tried to register without success. It's simply stopped them cold!

As for hu-bots, I can say with educated assurance that you will find very few of them trying to register if any at all. In the many hundreds of thousands of spam-bot registrations that have failed because of ggn's anti-spam hack, only a handful have actually been hu-bots. Those have been stopped easily enough with admin approval although I understand you're still against that.

Keep in mind that any actual hu-bot should be able to easily figure out the anti-spam captcha hack. Carsten's Spamfruits, too, come to think of it. But again, what you're actually seeing are sophisticated spam-bots that have convinced you they are human.

Until you actually try to use an anti-spam mod that's been written for YaBB, arguing against its use because you think it won't work is a moot point. You're already agreeing with the spammers that they can't be stopped, but of course we who have chosen to fight them know that they can be stopped.

Of course it won't work if you don't try it.  Wink

Bottom line: There are YaBB forums who have successfully stopped spam registrations. This forum hasn't because there's a lack of will to stop it.

At least try; pretty please?  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:00am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 8:06pm
Post Tools
Bill - I will again point out to you that you are commenting on the activity of a 'hu-bot' that reads and writes English, even edits the posts on a second pass.  Please now tell me what measure you have suggested would be effective...

Cool

Edited:
I think I have fixed this spammer - even though it's a hu-bot...
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2012 at 8:36pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:18am
Post Tools
lydia lie wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:53am:
revenge on the Spammers

No revenge here. You are more than welcomed.  Smiley

It still amuses me how this forum continues to do virtually nothing to stop spammers. Rather than stop the spam, which could easily be stopped if there was the will to stop it, unacceptable excuses are made that effectively allows it.

At least some of the spam has been able to stick around even when other spam has been swatted away. That makes the unacceptable just downright embarrassing.

Spam in YaBB's own support forum? Live with it! We don't care!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 5:49pm
Post Tools
Wow! Your forum sounds like the wild west, and you're the Sheriff!  Wink

Edited:
I allow members the option of modifying posts simply because it's a nicer, and more user-friendly thing to do.

Potentially, allowing this freedom can cause problems, but YaBB makes it very easy to manage it all.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2012 at 5:56pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:25pm
Post Tools
I never allow posts to be edited after posting, I think it encourages the guys to spell and think about what they are going to post if they know they cant edit it later.
A few years ago three idiots thought they could take over our forum because it looked quiete at the time, (How they thought they would get past me as the Administrator is still a mystery)

After picking a fight with yours truly threats and abuse reined down for almost a week.
back then we only had the basic YABB package that could not stop the abuse or bogus registrations made by the three offenders.

Eventually The police were brought in to quell the threats of bodilly harm. had the the culprits deleted or altered their posts no evidence would have been available for the police to use as evidence, so I advocate not being able to change a post for that very good reason.

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
A YaBB forum set up as a spam trap. Clever!  Smiley

Of course, these days webmasters don't have to be bothered by spammers showing up in their forums with what I've been told are effective anti-spam mods for YaBB.
You don't even have to install a mod if you activate what we've implemented.  Smiley

Edited:
Current in this forum (March 29, 2012): Since this post will have been locked 5 days after its creation, for those of you who don't already know, and who may be wondering, here are instructions to stop spammers cold without having to install a mod.

The funny thing is, in the linked post I mention above, back when it was posted our posts were locked after 2 days (so that post has already been locked). Corey changed this to 5 days to give us a bit more time to catch mistakes so they can be corrected.

Common sense reminder: Because of changes, updates; whatever; common sense will tell you that you'll find a lot of outdated, and incorrect information throughout this forum. This is even the case with YaBB's own definitive Support Codex (currently locked without needed corrections as of the date of this posting).

Corey's reasoning: Click here for Corey's well reasoned explanation about why he doesn't allow posts to be deleted, edited, or modified by members after 5 days.

Not that he needs my support on this, but he makes very valid points. Besides, newer posts can always reference bad information for webmasters to avoid.

Nonetheless, my take on it is that because this is a support forum, webmasters who offer help should always be able to edit, modify, and even delete their own posts.

Frankly, I think everyone should have the freedom to manage their own posts as they see fit. We've allowed this freedom since 2002 in our own forum without any significant problems.

If keeping a record of posts is important, only strikethroughs would be allowed for changes that are made (just as the FCC requires broadcasters to do versus deletions). Also, the edit box would be required as well to indicate that changes have been made.

Whether freedom to change our own posts is given or not, it's as issue that can be rectified easily enough by creating new posts.

No biggie.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 4:43pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 1:49pm
Post Tools
I wasn't expecting that before I clicked the link. For some reason I expecting all the comment spam to be publicly viewable still - which would have been pointless.

But what you've done is pretty useful and worthwhile actually. Smiley

IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:58am
Post Tools
Opps I forgot to post the URL for the "Spam trap" sorry.

http://www.trailridinginkent.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

revenge on the Spammers
Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:56am
Post Tools
This forum may be of intrest to some of you who are overwhelmed by spam?

It is Our old Trail riding forum, when we moved servers the forum was left open as a "spam Trap" by the old administrator.
In just a few weeks over 550 spammers registered for the forum! these would have been bogus accounts which I would usually have to manually delete on a daily basis.

The administrator has now published the list of spammers which is available for all to see, and may be of help to others in blocking some of their spam.

I just hope the spam bots collect the information and start spamming each other Smiley Smiley

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top