Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
 10 That would have to be a "Corey" Decision - (Read 5,161 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: That would have to be a
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 12:32am
Post Tools
I agree. Action; not discussion.

The fact remains, spammers post in this forum, and it shouldn't be happening.

The irony, as I pointed out, is that admins like myself who are far less intelligent about these matters than those running this forum are able to stop spammers cold, and yet, no action here has done what we've easily accomplished.
We've simply followed the lead of people like ggn.  Smiley
Choose your solution, but please, at least come up with a solution.  Smiley

A caveat for those who don't want their YaBB forum spammed is that, yes, even though this particular forum gets spammed, yours doesn't have to put up with it. The glass is half full.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 8:53pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 8:25pm:
Admin Approval most definitely helps to stop hu-bots,

I'm not saying it doesn't, because obviously it does. I'm saying that it is not practical.

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 8:25pm:
As for dismissing Admin Approval because of the fear that it would be a massive hindrance for users needing support, JonB could easily manage this in a timely fashion since he's already very good at squashing the bugs of spam when they appear online. I mean, his hands are tied, and he still manages to get rid of spam in a timely fashion.

And what about users in different time zones? They'd have to wait until Jon gets out of bed before they are able to ask a simple question. There's absolutely no reason for Admin Approval - it's like squatting a fly with a sledge hammer.

But all of this was discussed until its death last year, so I refuse to go around in circles. Smiley

Action, not discussion. Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
Admin Approval most definitely helps to stop hu-bots, and it's clearly needed.

Bottom line: Admin Approval versus the littering of spam.

This is no contest. To have spammers get through onto YaBB's own support forum is not only inexcusable, and frankly embarrassing, but it's also a very poor way to showcase what many of us know is the best forum out there.

For webmasters considering the installation of YaBB, if its own community support forum is unable to keep spammers out, it will seem as if it's not possible. That would be a shame, and inaccurate.

The truth is that spammers can be stopped cold without the installation of any anti-spam mod simply by implementing ggn's easy to edit/install anti-spam hack.

It really is that easy. After all, even I could do it.  Smiley

As for dismissing Admin Approval because of the fear that it would be a massive hindrance for users needing support, JonB could easily manage this in a timely fashion since he's already very good at squashing the bugs of spam when they appear online. I mean, his hands are tied, and he still manages to get rid of spam in a timely fashion.

Spam should never be seen in YaBB's own community support forum. Period.

Imagine what it would be like for JonB and other volunteer moderators to virtually never have to worry about spammers, and only have to manage the legitimate registrations that are being processed.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 6:40pm
Post Tools
Admin Approval just wouldn't work out on a forum like this though - it would be a massive hindrance for users needing support. The way I see it, is that Admin Approval is really for private boards, not fighting spam, and certainly not practical for a support board.

Corey has already suggested that the anti-spam mods go into the next release:

http://www.dev.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1329069652

But, there's still a lack devs working on things - in fact, the back-end hasn't been worked on for quite some time. Sad
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2012 at 6:41pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 5:59pm
Post Tools
Well, there you go. Someone smarter than me has come up with solutions that would probably work.

But what do I know? I'm just your average YaBB user.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 5:30pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 31st, 2012 at 9:05am:
This community support forum for YaBB should rarely have spam posts, if ever.  Angry

So unless I'm missing someone, we have Corey, and we have JonB. You two can't be on 24/7, so for goodness sakes, can't you just install one of the spam mods? Or just use the captcha hack that the forum I operate has implemented.

Pre-registration with admin membership approval. Hello?  Roll Eyes

Seriously people. This is embarrassing!  Shocked

I share your sentiment, Bill, and Corey and JonB are doing all they can but there are a few measures they could easily implement, in addition to Admin approval for membership, to keep spammers at bay, namely:-

a) deny proxy access (most spammers use them)

b) deny registration from free, toxic and disposable email domains (all spamers use free domains) - genuine applicants having a legitimate interest in YaBB as a user or potential user should have nothing to hyde to resort to toxic IPs and disposable email domains.

c) deny posting of links on posts or signatures using the facility of certain number of posts before being allowed links or PMs.

But I do agree this forum should be spammers free! Angry

~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 7:27pm
Post Tools
A little bit of levity; I hope.

All of the bedrooms in our house have glass dome lighting fixtures with 2 light bulbs in each.

A light bulb in one of the rooms went out.

If anyone has ever had to change a light bulb that's inside of a glass dome fixture, chances are, you'll have found that the glass dome can easily get stuck if you twist it too tightly.

This happened to me, but thankfully only in this particular room (I checked the other rooms).

So I searched online for a solution.

A number of suggestions were made that clearly came from intelligent people, and some of those suggestions involved a bit of work. Do this. Do that. Do this. Do that.

I tried the easiest suggestion, which was to use a towel to grab onto the dome light fixture so that if the glass dome breaks when you try to twist it, at least you can protect yourself, especially your eyes.

No luck on my part. That thing was still stuck!

Then I jokingly mentioned to my wife how in this forum there are clearly very smart people who seem to be stymied about how to stop spammers, and yet, a relatively simple guy like me was able to implement an anti-spam hack that someone else in this forum showed me how to do (ggn came up with the hack, and George made sure it was complete).

So for the fun of it, I role-played the part of a 4 year old who walks into a room of 20 scientists who are coming up with all kinds of complicated solutions to get a glass dome light fixture off, and as a 4 year old I showed them how to do it.

"Just do this," I said in my little 4 year old voice as I pretended to twist the glass dome back and forth the best that I could do. In my head as a 4 year old I was sitting on the shoulders of one of my pretend scientists to reach the glass dome.

Laughing at myself for such silliness, I suddenly stepped onto a chair to reach our stuck glass dome, and literally did what I had done while role-playing the part of that 4 year old. Without really thinking that it would work, I simply twisted that glass dome back and forth as fast as I could while using a towel as if I was that silly little 4 year old doing it.

And what do you know? That stuck glass dome light fixture came right off.

Just saying!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: That would have to be a "Corey" Decision -
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 6:03pm
Post Tools
Sometimes I think YaBB developers are simply too smart to figure out the easiest of things.  Wink

So if you'll allow a relative idiot like me to give a bit of advice (compared to a developer's knowledge), and it's actually heeded, spammers in this forum will be stopped cold.

Please keep in mind that in the YaBB forum I operate, to date we've easily stopped well over 300,000 spam-bots. Not a single spam-bot has been able to put through a pending registration.

As for hu-bots, you'll most likely find that very few of them will try to register, if any at all. Out of the approximately 300,000 attempted registrations made by spam-bots in our forum, only about 4 or 5 of them have presumably been made by hu-bots since they presented pending registrations. But so what?

Just use the option of Pre-registration with admin membership approval, and you'll easily be able to stop the hu-bots from registering.

So if the lack of an anti-spam mod for this beta version of YaBB is stopping this forum from doing anything about spammers, then try implementing this easy to implement captcha hack.

Remember; this is not a mod, so there'll be no compatibility issues that need your collective brains to make it work.

If I can do it, any one of you certainly can.  Smiley

P.S. With the captcha hack I linked above, or with any anti-spam mods that will work with YaBB's beta version, can you please consider including them as options in the Admin Center?

Thank you.

Edited:
JonB, thank you for moving this topic into a separate, and more appropriate section.

Edited:
Corrected subject heading.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2012 at 6:25pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 3:50pm
Post Tools
Bill -

A. - No Anti-spam tool can deter a hu-bot, and that's the nature of the responsible party for those particular postings.

B. - Any tool for this forum would have to be adapted to the new code first.  Registration has been completely re-vamped to support OpenID. The only folks who would know what to fix would likely be Jet Li, Michael, or Corey.  I am actually a pretty serious developer, but Perl is not part of my kit (although I may change that).

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
That would have to be a "Corey" Decision -
Mar 31st, 2012 at 9:05am
Post Tools
This community support forum for YaBB should rarely have spam posts, if everAngry

So unless I'm missing someone, we have Corey, and we have JonB. You two can't be on 24/7, so for goodness sakes, can't you just install one of the spam mods? Or just use the captcha hack that the forum I operate has implemented.

Pre-registration with admin membership approval. Hello?  Roll Eyes

Seriously people. This is embarrassing!  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top