Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic The things you find in YaBB (Read 1,190 times)
BloodyRue

None
The things you find in YaBB
Apr 4th, 2012 at 11:39am
Post Tools
Just came across this, can't figure out what it does:

# Hidden "feature": jump directly to a tab by default via the URL bar.

and what are the Monty Python refs for?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: The things you find in YaBB
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:12pm
Post Tools
Are you not going to tell us which files you found them in?

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:28pm
Post Tools
It was a "hidden" feature, who knows how long its been there but I didn't want it let out if it was meant to be hidden for a reason. Wink

admin/newsettings.pl

I saw the Monty Python ref a long time ago and cant remember what file I saw it in.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:37pm
Post Tools
Lots of software have bizarre little comments and quotes in them - My take is the programmer wanted a little 'surprise' for anybody actually reading the code. At least the one's in YaBB aren't obscene.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 3:24pm
Post Tools
I'm not 100% sure too be honest. Carsten would know straight away, but obviously he isn't around at the minute.

Anyway, I don't think it's a hidden feature as such. I 'think' it's because the tabs in the Admin Center are just anchors like this:

Code
Select All
?action=newsettings;page=main#tab_posting 

But it 'hides' the link to the anchor in the URL and jumps smoothly to the tab without the whole page jumping to the anchor.

If that makes any sense at all. Cheesy

Obviously I could be wrong.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
I've also noticed tidbits of interesting comments within the coding of various programs, including YaBB as I recall. I've seen this way back in the days when many of us would write our own simple ASCII programs that worked in DOS.

I sometimes include notes to myself when I make edits. For instance, when I removed the default search box in our forum (the one that's located in the top right), I made instructional notes about it in case I wanted to put it back. I was waiting for someone in this forum to help me make the search box work again, but nobody was able to come up with a solution.

The solution? No solution was needed because it had actually been working just fine.  Roll Eyes

I had removed that search box in favor of YaBB's more comprehensive search as a menu item because I had thought the default search box had stopped working. When I had realized I had been wrong about this, I put it back in, which I was only able to do because I had notes about it in the template file.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top