Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic This Action is Not Allowed (Read 2,524 times)
jon666

This Action is Not Allowed
Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:39pm
Post Tools
I run a closed (admin approved) forum on Yabb 2.4 The following problem is a first in 3 years.
A member with verified correct credentials has been unable to log in since registration approval. She repeatedly gets the error message:
Code
Select All
This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!
Action is: login2
Your Domain: www.myforum.net
Referer Domain: myforum.net

In my error log this message has always been associated with attempts from blacklisted IP's. She has logged in using username and email address. As I say the credentials are watertight.

I asked her to clear cookies and login directly from the ... Yabb.pl?action=login page, but this has not worked. I have thought of re-registering her manually but don't see how that would change things.

Any ideas, please?

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2012 at 2:34pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: This Action is Not Allowed
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 2:44pm
Post Tools
IF the deal is that your error really looks like that -- i.e. the URL is the same EXCEPT for the www. (hostname) on the front of  the Top Level domain name --

I think the problem is browser/URL related. (think, LOL)

have her type in the full URL and test it.
Code
Select All
i.e. http://www.mydomain.net/whatever/whatever/YaBB.pl

Some servers can respond on both the canonical domain, and with the hostname prepended.

Just my thought of the moment...

Good Luck

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:36pm
Post Tools
jon666 wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:44pm:
OOps! Sorry! I see I made a big mistake with my fictitious site url as its blacklisted. Please do not click on it. Too bad the Modify button is disabled on this forum.

Could an admin or moderator please delete or change it?!

You should have up to 5 days to modify or delete your own posts (Corey recently changed this for us - from 3 days to 5.). I just tested this here in this topic, and I was able to modify the test post I made.

Oh, and obviously, I was able to delete it as well.  Wink

Edited:
Obviously, you'll need to be logged into your account to modify or delete your own posts.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:37pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Post Tools
Edited:
While I'm still able to modify this post to update the information I sumitted:

jon666 wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:41pm:
Bill, I found the Modify/Delete. It's a bit different than in 2.4

jon666 wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:39pm:
I run a closed (admin approved) forum on Yabb 2.4 The following problem is a first in 3 years.
A member with verified correct credentials has been unable to log in since registration approval. She repeatedly gets the error message:
Code
Select All
This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!
Action is: login2
Your Domain: www.this is not supposed to be a real domain.net
Referer Domain: this is not supposed to be a real domain.net

Any ideas, please?

I think that JonB is probably right about this being a browser issue. Maybe you can ask her to try another browser in case that's the problem.

Then again ...

The error message you quoted above (with my own edits per your instructions) will show up when someone tries to access your forum from an outside link such as clicking through from a search engine.

This can also happen when someone clicks a bookmarked link if it's on an HTML page that's local on a computer (less likely).

For instance, Google links into this forum will produce this same error message because Referral Security Checking has evidently been activated. I would recommend against this.

My suggestion is for you to check your Referral Security Checking settings in Admin Center. In our forum, for instance, I have that box unchecked so that we can continue to enjoy the traffic that we get from Google.

But if you need that Referral Security Checking, you may need to check what's going on with your various settings.

Also, with your member's cooperation, you might want to try setting up a second membership for her to see if she can log in that way. In other words, don't delete her current membership until you test this just in case it doesn't work.

If you figure this out, please let us know. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:53pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

jon666

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:41pm
Post Tools
John B. and Bill,

Thanks for your help and suggestions. It is not actually possible to  access my ... YaBB.pl?action=login  screen from another site. That's because I have a home page in front of it with a link to ...Yabb.pl?action=login So I  can't quite see how this would be an issue for me.

Like I say whenever I've checked other IP's that get this error message at "Stop Forum Spam", they are always blacklisted IP's.

I will turn off the Referral Security Checking to see if it helps. Maybe my member has bookmarked the login page on an html page as you suggest may be the case.

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:47pm by jon666 »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:01am
Post Tools
It is not actually possible to  access my ... YaBB.pl?action=login  screen from another site. That's because I have a home page in front of it with a link to ...Yabb.pl?action=login So I  can't quite see how this would be an issue for me.

Ah, that may be the problem. If you're preventing access ... just saying.  Wink

Then again, presuming this woman had acess before, and now she doesn't, another issue must be at hand.

That home page you mentioned, can she access that okay? If so, maybe she'll need to first access that page, and then access your forum.

Thanks for that important clarification. I sometimes forget that YaBB versions are often likely to be a bit different. Thankfully, you evidently know how to get around YaBB just fine.

Edited:
Edited to correct a mistake with partial quoting.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:02am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top