Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Concerned about YaBB's future ... (Read 1,422 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Concerned about YaBB's future ...
Apr 13th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Post Tools
Once again, I'm concerned about YaBB's future. Let's face it, without one or more people stepping up to the plate to assist Corey, without his direct involvement, and monitoring, this forum will cease to exist in a way that it should be showcased. That is, if it's not shuttered completely.

Maybe Corey can shed some light on what might happen since he's the one who owns this domain.

I suppose in a worse case scenario YaBB can continue elsewhere, and be operated by people who have the knowledge to continue with it as an open source project.

As for developing newer versions of YaBB, I don't think that needs to be the focus, does it? After all, YaBB is a pretty terrific forum as it is, so there shouldn't be a rush to push out a new version.

Maybe all that's really needed for the foreseeable future is to proudly continue with its support, and to maybe provide patches and modifications that admins can utilize.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Concerned about YaBB's future ...
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:26pm
Post Tools
Methinks JonB or another mod checked in - something really has to be done about the 'N/A' post counts when things get deleted.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 3:18am
Post Tools
Yeah, JonB came in with an electronic fly swatter to swat away a lot of the spam. I think he may have missed a few, including this one that's still online (as of this posting).

This is what spammers count on, to be in a forum that doesn't have moderators regularly checking things out. Spammers are most successful in forums that have a lot of posts, i.e., hoping that some of their spam sticks has it has in this forum.

Unfortunately, no anti-spam mod has been installed here, and spammers can obviously register, and post their spam as soon as they want.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 12:49pm
Post Tools
Developers is the problem.  People are becoming uninterested in Perl, social sites like Facebook have taken over the need (for some) to have their own systems, and developing projects like this is not quite as "cool" as it used to be.

I will try to get back to finishing up YaBB's future vision document that I started writing a few months ago.  The problem now is that the weather is starting to get nice again which means much more projects, housework, and outdoor activities (including the wife making me run now that she's doing it).

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 3:05pm
Post Tools
Try working in southern California; the great weather has been preventing me from getting my work done since, well, since forever.

Hmmm, come to think of it, JonB may have that problem, too. Wink

Okay; today it's raining! Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:04pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 12:49pm:
People are becoming uninterested in Perl, social sites like Facebook have taken over the need (for some) to have their own systems, and developing projects like this is not quite as "cool" as it used to be.

Face Crack! I know some people who would think the world was going to end if that site ever went down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top