Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
 10 Relationship Information (Read 1,741 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Relationship Information
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 2:47pm
Post Tools
Thanks to both of you for the encouragement you've given about installing, and using Boardmod. I'll give it a go at some point.
Great idea to set up a trial forum to experiment. Smiley Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:19pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:02am:
Boardmod is so easy to use, setup a trial forum and experiment

So true Bill. It's really easy to use. Once you figure it out, you'll find yourself spending a lot of time on boardmod.org viewing all of the great mods available there. Quite addicting!  Cheesy

If a dumb coonass from Southeast Louisiana, like myself can figure it out then.... i'm sure you can.

If you want to shoot me your email, I can probably walk you thru most of it.

You can contact me through one of the links on my site or I can send you my email in a PM.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:20pm by WestwegoMan »  
<div class=

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:02am
Post Tools
Bill
Boardmod is so easy to use, setup a trial forum and experiment, once your confident install on your live forum  Wink

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:42pm
Post Tools
It goes without saying that dealing with spam is unpleasant. I think a lot of forums have been abandoned because of it.

In my case, spam got so bad a couple of years ago that I was going to shut down our forum. I couldn't go more than 15 minutes or so before another spam post needed to be deleted.

But then I realized with embarrassment that the spam was ultimately my own fault. For one, I was still using Yabb 1 Gold SP 1.4 and the only thing I had done was to shutter guest access in favor of requiring a membership to post.

I upgraded to YaBB 2.4 since that was the latest version at the time, and I happily utilized the captcha setting. Hardly any spam came through after that.

But then, as so many admins already know, captcha was defeated by sophisticated spammers. So I began using admin approval. That worked quite nicely for a while.

Later on, pre-registrations from spammers were soon coming in at about 200-300 a day, and while it was easy enough to deny them, only taking a few moments to deal with a dozen or so in batches each time, it was a real pain.

Thankfully, by then YaBB had Spamfruits, but that required installing BoardMod, which to this day is still foreign to me (again, my own fault).

However, I noticed ggn's anti-spam hack, which didn't require installing a mod, and it seemed easy enough to implement, so I gave it a try. To my surprise, I was able to make the necessary edits to make it work.
Simply amazing!  Smiley

To date, many hundreds of thousands of attempted spam-bot registrations have been stopped cold!

As for the handful of hu-bots that have pre-registered, they've hardly been a bother at all. I now get so amused by them that I actually write them a nice little reply letting them know our forum doesn't allow spammers.

As I type this, in the last 3 or so hours our forum has had 500 spam-bot attempts to register (by about 30-40 different users multiple times). ALL have been stopped cold!

Legitimate registrations do of course still make their way through, and all members get to enjoy a spam-free forum.

As for being a moderator here to help swat away the spam when it appears, I like the idea of it, but frankly, I wouldn't accept being a moderator without the installation of an anti-spam mod.

I would even strongly encourage the use of admin approval, although that may not be needed after an anti-spam mod has been installed.

Edited:
A spelling error was corrected.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:44pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:49am
Post Tools
Don't know why they don't make you a moderator, swat the spam yourself?

I personally think its getting boring, every new post you read is a winge about spam. Also wonder if its starting to be fun for others baiting these posts.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:13am
Post Tools
Jon, since you don't seem to be aware of it, the last couple of spam infestations were so prevalent that some of them got past your fly swatter, and are still online.

That's what spammers do; they beat you down until you give up, and then they take over a forum. I highly doubt they'll ever take over this forum. Corey would probably shutter it altogether if things got that bad. But the main point is being missed here.

There is no reason for spam to be posted in YaBB's own support forum.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:31pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:54am:
Sometimes all a person can really do is to laugh at the absurd. Smiley

It sure beats the alternative. Smiley

Ax, broadsword, loaded crossbow?  Smiley I mean, the only reason some people are still alive is that the paperwork just isn't worth it.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
I have decided to let this play out...

Cheesy

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:54am
Post Tools
Sometimes all a person can really do is to laugh at the absurd. Smiley

It sure beats the alternative. Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 1:57am
Post Tools
Bill.... You should have been a comedian Grin

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 1:32am
Post Tools
HeartsBond_com wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:03am:
I am really curious in what people have been having there difficulties in your relationships? If you are single, what was the reason or what you believe the reason is? Are you consistently meeting the same wrong people? Let's all have a discussion on what could be the reason and fix it so you can meet the right person. I am ready to listen and hopefully hear some good stories and good answers from everyone.

I am so glad that you've offered your help.  Smiley

My relationship with YaBB has been going on since 2002, and while I'm not ready to break up, problems of communication keep coming up.

I'm at my wit's end.  Roll Eyes

What advice would you give to get my dear YaBB to listen to me about installing an anti-spam mod? Your help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.  Wink

IP Logged

HeartsBond_com
YaBB Newcomer

Relationship Information
Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:03am
Post Tools
I am really curious in what people have been having there difficulties in your relationships? If you are single, what was the reason or what you believe the reason is? Are you consistently meeting the same wrong people? Let's all have a discussion on what could be the reason and fix it so you can meet the right person. I am ready to listen and hopefully hear some good stories and good answers from everyone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top