Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Setup.pl download instead of execute (Read 4,604 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Setup.pl download instead of execute
Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:12pm
Post Tools
What he's saying (without saying it) is that the server on your host is poorly configured and your account hasn't been given the proper permissions to actually run Perl scripts without opening them up to very bad possibilities.

You really need to talk to your hosting service about this issue.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Post Tools
He says he just chmod 777'ed the following folders
cgi-bin
cgi-bin yabb2 members
cgi-bin yabb2 boards
cgi-bin yabb2 messages
cgi-bin yabb2 modules

and then chmod 666ed their contents.  Something do do with being logged in to a user account instead of the web account.  I dont understand but he seems to.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 12:16am
Post Tools
lawnor wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 11:29pm:
He has changed some chmods to 666

if you have CHMOD of 666 and 777 there is a server misconfiguration there is a post on this somewhere here i just cant find it just now.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 11:29pm
Post Tools
I hadn't, no.  But my friend mark remotely logged in and made some changes and right now Setup.pl appears to be working.  He has changed some chmods to 666.  I'll see if he can come here to explain it better so when i ruin it again rtomorrow I can undo my mistakes Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 10:53pm
Post Tools
It's never safe to assume that the ftp software can actually tell the difference between ascii and binary without being explicitly told which files are which.   Huh

As to the rest - it's possible that something got messed up during the unpacking from zip. Have you tried opening Setup.pl in a text editor and making sure it gets saved as text?
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2012 at 10:56pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

lawnor
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Post Tools
I tried to upgrade my 2.4 install to the latest version today and I'm having this same issue now.  I have stripped out the old version and have tried the upgrade route and the fresh install route and I'm still hvaing this problem.  Perl must work as I have been running 2.4 for years.

I installed the files from a USB drive and not through FTP.  I set chmod manually, but I am assuming I don't have to worry about the ASCII/Binary part as thats an FTP thing, right?

I have a Viglen MPC running Xubuntu as my forum server.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Non-YaBB Programming and Technical Help [move by] Dandello.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Post Tools
It seems to me that in order to attract, and to keep developers, YaBB needs to show that it's serious about its future.

As things are now, YaBB's own support forum doesn't even bother dealing with spam posts; at least not in an effective way. The irony about this lack of will is that YaBB's been offered anti-spam mods and other tools, but those offerings have been ignored. A slap in the face.

See a pattern here?  Roll Eyes

What's the point of being a developer for YaBB if what's being developed isn't included in its software?   Huh

The good news is that YaBB can easily turn itself around.

The 1st step was getting it's own support forum back online after it had been down for about 11 days I think it was.

The 2nd step is to stop allowing spam posts to be published. Otherwise, there is a perception that YaBB itself is being ignored.

The 3rd step, and possibly the final step is to simply let YaBB be what it is, a really great forum.

Little steps are important. Dealing with the small stuff is important. Taking these little steps, and dealing with the small stuff will show that YaBB's leaders care about its future.

Those of you posting seem to care about its future. I certainly do. But we're actually insignificant in the big picture of the many users of YaBB who will really only come here for support versus being part of YaBB's development community.

So when regular YaBB users come over to this forum, let them see that they too can have a spam-free forum; and that they too can enjoy a forum that operates smoothly.

This support forum should not have spam.

This support forum should not have glitches.

This support forum should continue to offer up solutions to any user's problems.

That's all that is neededSmiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:37am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:30am:
If YaBB could be centralized like Facebook, everybody would be using it.

Here is one that will not  Wink

Quote:
Thinking aloud here ... Imagine a one-click solution to automate a new YaBB forum

Hence you need MySQL database

Quote:
to have that forum naturally connected to every other YaBB forum that's in existence; within certain parameters of course.

Spambots would have a field day  Grin

Anyway, never mind this talk of facebook, YaBB needs to sort itself out as a forum software first. What happened to past developers? Deti springs to mind and numerous others?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:54am
Post Tools
Experitec.ca wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:56pm:
Thanks but I've change for another software.

Thats too bad. If only you were able to get it to work, I think you would have found that YaBB is a lot easier to deal with and configure than other BB software.

Good luck.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:30am
Post Tools
Oh well. You win some. You lose some.  Roll Eyes

Installing forum software in general isn't for the public at large. That's just the nature of it. I think that's one of the reasons Facebook took off the way that it did.

Yes, I'm biased towards YaBB, but YaBB is so much better at organization than Facebook is. If YaBB could be centralized like Facebook, everybody would be using it.

You want to administer your own YaBB forum? No problemCool

Thinking aloud here ... Imagine a one-click solution to automate a new YaBB forum, and then to have that forum naturally connected to every other YaBB forum that's in existence; within certain parameters of course.

It seems that YaBBbook is available.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Experitec.ca
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:56pm
Post Tools
Thanks but I've change for another software.

IP Logged

Experitec.ca
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
Yes already done.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Post Tools
Is Setup.pl in the proper place with the proper permissions? (755) Was it uploaded as text rather than binary (pictures)?

IP Logged

Experitec.ca
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:19pm
Post Tools
Yes and it's activated

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top