Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) SPAM control? (Read 4,117 times)
depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: SPAM control?
Reply #30 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 6:12pm
Post Tools
Feel free to PM me the link and I will give you some feedback  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB how-to video
Reply #29 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 3:18pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:43am:
I pretty much have a video done now. When I finish this string of 18 hour shifts at work I'll upload to YouTube and place a link with a small tutorial on boardmod.

What you're doing is really cool, particularly while working as hard as you do with 18 hour shifts; very admirable.

Thanks!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #28 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 10:36am
Post Tools
oks cool  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #27 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:43am
Post Tools
I pretty much have a video done now. When I finish this string of 18 hour shifts at work I'll upload to YouTube and place a link with a small tutorial on boardmod.

Actually, maybe I'll pm a link to a few of you and get some input first, just incase I missed something.

<div class=

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #26 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Post Tools
I may try to look for an older version.

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #25 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:59pm
Post Tools
i won't use 2.6 as there are probes that put me off of it as it dont seem to like working on one screen when you have dual screens so i use AutoScreenRecorder 3 now and was on the free one but went for the Pro and i wont go back  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:59pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Outstanding! Re: How To Video for YaBB
Reply #24 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:42pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:31pm:
lol that will go well with my easy installation video for YaBB 2 4 Setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic0PTG3dhc

Outstanding!  Cool Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #23 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Post Tools
I'm actually using v2.6 but it doesn't give that exact optio. I just went through and recorded some small videos and will peice them together maybe tonight to put up.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info Smiley

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #22 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:00pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:24pm:
xnoddyx wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:13pm:
at that time i was using CamStudio

Ok. Thats what I used but it wouldn't work if I tried to record the whole thing into one file. Worked on short files.

I have had K-Lite installed for a while. Ill have to play around with it. If it doesn't work i'll just do it in smaller steps then piece it together.

it was CamStudio v2.0 and the video settings where

ffdshow Video Codec Encoder:XviD FOURCC:DIVX Mode:one Pass - quality Quality:50

well i still have it on my old xp hdd in my pc so just went and had a look for you  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #21 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:13pm:
at that time i was using CamStudio

Ok. Thats what I used but it wouldn't work if I tried to record the whole thing into one file. Worked on short files.

I have had K-Lite installed for a while. Ill have to play around with it. If it doesn't work i'll just do it in smaller steps then piece it together.

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:13pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:38pm:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to record this? I tried a couple of programs but didn't like the outcome.

at that time i was using CamStudio but not with the default codecs but the ones from the k-lite mega codec pack

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #19 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:38pm
Post Tools
If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to record this? I tried a couple of programs but didn't like the outcome.

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #18 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:31pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:05pm:
I need to sit down and do a mod installation video.

lol that will go well with my easy installation video for YaBB 2 4 Setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic0PTG3dhc

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #17 - May 25th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Post Tools
The anti-spam quiz has been 100% effective for three forums that I moderate.

E.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Update - Re: SPAM control.
Reply #16 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:02pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:08pm:
Ideally, you'll want to go to BoardMod and install an anti-spam mod. I've been told that Carsten's Spamfruits is a good one. I've subsequently confirmed that it is.

But if you're like me, and don't know how to install mods (I now know how to use BoardMod), you can try this anti-spam hack by ggn that has been 100% effective for the YaBB forum I operate.

Good luck!

Because this forum doesn't allow its members to correct outdated information, I've added this reply in case my update can be helpful.

While I can still recommend ggn's anti-spam hack for those of you who don't know how to use BoardMod (because it's so effective), I can now confirm as a number of you already know, that Carsten's Spamfruits is an effective tool to stop spam-bots.

And it looks so pretty, too!  Smiley
So in our error log, I get a kick out of reading, "You failed the fruit check!"  Smiley

Keep in mind that spam-bots are the real reason for spam in forums; not hu-bots as many people seem to think.

In any case, because spam-bots are no longer a problem in our forum, and haven't been for a good while, I can happily report that our forum now allows "Open registration without approvals" as it should be for people wanting to register right away. In fact, we no longer use CAPTCHA as a security measure.

If or when we want to use CAPTCHA again, which of course is easily defeated with spam-bot automation, we'll reactivate ggn's anti-spam hack that was so successful in our forum.

For me personally, however, the easier it is for someone to register in our forum, the more user friendly it is.

Of course, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a while just in case.  Roll Eyes

P.S. For the next generation of YaBB, my hope is that it will include BoardMod as part of its core just as SMF does with its "Package Manager" as a menu item in its "Admin" choices.

SMF pretty much took the best of YaBB and made it better. So in turn we can build on what was essentially YaBB's in the first place, and become the "best" of forum software again.

Just thinking aloud.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top