Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Registering with same e-mail address (Read 2,179 times)
benjamindresner
YaBB Newcomer

None
Registering with same e-mail address
Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:03pm
Post Tools
I have had users register,  be approved by me (the moderator), and then not confirm their registration within 24 hours as required.  Subsequently, the user attempts to register again, but gets an error message saying "you already registered with this e-mail address" even though they did not complete their registration and the 24 hours has expired so they cannot complete their registration!  How can a user attempt to re-register using the same e-mail address in this situation?

Thanks
Benjamin
capicadmin@capic.net

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Registering with same e-mail address
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:12pm
Post Tools
Give them more time. You can also finish the registration process for them.  Wink

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:25am:
I was on my way out when I typed up my earlier reply. So, after re-reading your message ...

When a user gets an error message that tells them they've already registered with a particular e-mail address, that simply means they need to log into their account; not re-register.

In our forum that would mean they can use their email address as a username, and they can use the password they chose to log on. If this is the same in your forum, then they should be good to go.

However, if they don't know or remember their password, they can use YaBB's automated password retrieval link, which is really a password reset feature.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:27am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
Make sure you clean your registration log - that should get rid of any old registration info lingering in your files.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:25am
Post Tools
I was on my way out when I typed up my earlier reply. So, after re-reading your message ...

When a user gets an error message that tells them they've already registered with a particular e-mail address, that simply means they need to log into their account; not re-register.

In our forum that would mean they can use their email address as a username, and they can use the password they chose to log on. If this is the same in your forum, then they should be good to go.

However, if they don't know or remember their password, they can use YaBB's automated password retrieval link, which is really a password reset feature.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:36am
Post Tools
I think you must have misread the post, Bill:

benjamindresner wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:03pm:
I have had users register,  be approved by me (the moderator), and then not confirm their registration within 24 hours as required.  Subsequently, the user attempts to register again, but gets an error message saying "you already registered with this e-mail address" even though they did not complete their registration and the 24 hours has expired so they cannot complete their registration!  How can a user attempt to re-register using the same e-mail address in this situation?

Dandello's answer should be the solution...

Sorry, looks like you didn't. Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:54am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:49am
Post Tools
Actually... You can't 'Approve' them until their account is validated anyway. So to have approved their account, then you must have validated them first - in which case, they would be registered and wouldn't have to validate their account themselves within the 24 hours because you have already done it for them. So, they would be registered, and like Bill says, they just need to login.

If that made sense...
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:04am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:33am
Post Tools
Derek, I think we may have been typing our replies at about the same time, and mine somehow got in there first.  Wink

In any case, the user he mentioned is obviously already registered.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:37am
Post Tools
Derek, now that you mentioned it, I think I must get ahead of members who are trying to register by completing the process myself to make registration faster for them.

Yikes!  Roll Eyes

Thankfully, even if and when that happens, an automated message goes out to them letting them know that they are now a member of our forum. But I can see how a new member could get confused.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:39am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:33am:
Derek, I think we may have been typing our replies at about the same time, and mine somehow got in there first.

I'm not going to get into internet bickering with you, Bill, but we both know that's not true. You didn't even explain anything apart from say that they must be registered. You confused the matter even more.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:44am
Post Tools
Hey, I thought we were having a friendly chat here.  Undecided
If I made this situation confusing, then I apologize. Were you confused?  Smiley

In any case, the user he mentioned is already registered, so it's all good.  Wink

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo. Whoops!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:46am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:21pm
Post Tools
DING!  - timeout -

And the 'right answer' is 'increase the number of hours for validation'. Most boards admins have found 48 to 72 hours is about right.  24 hours is just too short.

Admin center > Forum Controls > Members
Max time span for users to activate their account (in hours)

Derek is basically correct BTW. 

Good Luck with your YaBB Forum.  Smiley

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:49pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:21pm:
And the 'right answer' is 'increase the number of hours for validation'. Most boards admins have found 48 to 72 hours is about right.  24 hours is just too short.

Hey! That was my very first answer.  Wink

But then I re-read his post and realized that the user in question was already a registered member.

As such, all that member needed to do was to log into the forum. Shocked

JonB wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:21pm:
Derek is basically correct BTW.

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 1:49am:
So, they would be registered, and like Bill says, they just need to login.

Exactly.  Smiley

The clue I missed was that the member had gotten an error message saying they were already registered. I simply missed that part of it because I had been in a hurry to post just before heading out the door.

I goofed.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

benjamindresner
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Post Tools
Again, thanks for all the help and replies!!  Really appreciated. 

Benjamin

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 9:57pm
Post Tools
Quote:
The clue I missed was that the member had gotten an error message saying they were already registered. I simply missed that part of it because I had been in a hurry to post just before heading out the door.

I goofed.

I made the same assumption.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 10:15pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 9:57pm:
I made the same assumption.

Remember; neither you nor I assume anything. We presume it.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top