Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Will you buy a licensed version of YaBB 3? (Read 5,426 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Will you buy a licensed version of YaBB 3?
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2012 at 5:17pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 8:40am:
SMF was nearly finished, only just starting to get its act together regarding developers and software licence.

I noticed that revelation as well, and yet, SMF is clearly back on track again. Their obvious success, and comeback from what could have been it for them makes me believe that YaBB can have the same comeback if there's the will to make it happen.

But seriously, in reality YaBB's future is dependent on one person; Corey. The success of his personal life has gotten in the way of YaBB's success, and good for him and his family, but that's the bottom line.

Since 2002 I've enjoyed using YaBB, and it's still an active forum because I appreciate, and want to keep the tweaks I've given it over the years.

However, I recently installed SMF to mirror our YaBB forum just to see what it can do, and the difference is like night and day in terms of giving members and guests a forum that's so wonderfully comprehensive.

And you should see what SMF has in store for its future even while it regularly upgrades in a seamless fashion its current product.

Staying with YaBB is going to be really difficult for me. After all, I feel married to it, so I don't want to leave it behind. But then, I can't let my bias allow members of a community I've built since 1997 to suffer simply because I'm being selfish about my loyalty to YaBB.

What I might do is to transition over to SMF for the benefit of our membership, but keep our YaBB forum as it is so that it can function as an archive. That way, all the links from the main pages of our site will still work.

While looking up older YaBB forums, I noticed that a lot of former users have switched over to SMF. There are even some people here who are relatively new to YaBB, and yet, they've recently made the switch to SMF as well.

But then, it kind of makes sense since SMF is really a souped up version of YaBB.  Wink

I'm really conflicted about YaBB and need relationship advice.  Grin

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:13pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 5:17pm:
But then, it kind of makes sense since SMF is really a souped up version of YaBB.  I'm really conflicted about YaBB and need relationship advice. 

it mite have more bells and whistles i.e. a easy mod installer system and that and there maybe people moving to SMF from YaBB but then you have the people that moved to SMF and then wish that they dident but its not so easy for them to move back.

but i am giving YaBB a year to sort its self out before i consider moving forums as if i relly dont need to move i wont.

as for  "Will i buy a licensed version of YaBB 3" only if i have the need for it and only if it has a guaranteed speedy support service.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #17 - May 30th, 2012 at 2:47pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 1:13pm:
it mite have more bells and whistles i.e. a easy mod installer system and that and there maybe people moving to SMF from YaBB but then you have the people that moved to SMF and then wish that they dident but its not so easy for them to move back.

I had moved mine to SMF only to find out that I regreted it. The move was very easy going to SMF but I didn't care for it once I had switched. Luckily, I was able to open my YaBB board back up in time before many new registrants had resistered on the SMF board. (not very active forum)

As for modding, I kind of like the way it's done in YaBB. When you run into a problem and have to do something manually, by having to play around with the code it helps in learning the code. Not to mention, it feels like an acomplishment when you are done.

For me, moving my forum back to YaBB could be that I just don't like change. Who knows? I do know that I will be here unless some problem arises in the future that forces me to move. With as small as my forum has remained, I don't see that happening in the near future. Hopefully the new version will be complete soon thus nipping any problems before they can start.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #18 - May 31st, 2012 at 8:11pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 5:17pm:
However, I recently installed SMF to mirror our YaBB forum just to see what it can do, and the difference is like night and day in terms of giving members and guests a forum that's so wonderfully comprehensive.

I moved my YaBB to SMF last September, and the speed, functinality and useability is streets ahead of YaBB 2. And the search works Grin

But YaBB is has a much cleaner, less cluttered layout.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo