Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lost Password Email Issue (Read 2,703 times)
Billy Rhythm
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Lost Password Email Issue
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:04pm
Post Tools
Just more info. If you DON'T click the link (as if you suddenly remembered your password), and try to log in with the old password, your all set. If you click the link, though, that's when it all goes bad.

IP Logged

Billy Rhythm
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2012 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the quick responses. I was getting the password from the .var files just because I was logged in checking the chmods to make sure everything was right. It just seemed quicker. I can see, though, that it would be just a temp password to allow the member in.

I've set the board to allow guest access. I'm not the board mod--I'm the guy who installed it FOR the board mod. I'm guessing he had it all locked down due to spammers. I've since added the XXcaptchaXX mod, and it's working great!

Back on topic...

Now, with guest access enabled, I get this when you click the lost password link:

System Information

You are not allowed to access this section.

I know that the admin can change the password, and that's a work around. Better, of course, would be to figure out what's broken and how to make it work.

Your prompt responses are very much appreciated. Thank you!

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2012 at 8:28pm
Post Tools
As Bill indicated - as admin you can change their password and email the new one to them. Taking the password from their vars files doesn't work as it's been one-way encoded.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:54pm
Post Tools
I think that the error message people get is simply because you only allow access to registered members, i.e., nothing but your login or register buttons will work. Not even your help page is accessible. This seems very restrictive, and it's probably not necessary since you can deny guests the ability to post.

As such, this may be a "Catch 22" situation; a member who's lost their access can't get access to again allow themselves access. Yikes!

This has probably been the case for as long as you've restricted access to your forum, but you simply didn't know about it until someone mentioned it to you.

But this shouldn't be the case, so maybe it's a bug with the newest version of YaBB that you use.  Questioning

So my immediate thought is for you to allow guest access; at least temporarily until this problem can be resolved ... if it can be resolved since what I mentioned may be what's going on.

I'm just guessing aloud here.  Roll Eyes

Meanwhile, instead of bothering with any of the *.vars files, it'll be a lot easier, and much faster for you to change passwords as needed by simply doing this through each respective member's profile. An admin can change a member's password for them as needed.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Billy Rhythm
YaBB Newcomer

None
Lost Password Email Issue
May 2nd, 2012 at 7:24pm
Post Tools
Gang,

I'm having an issue with the board at: http://www.eurobikemaine.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Here's the issue...

When someone clicks the "forgot password" button, and fills in their email address, the board sends an email to them, asking them to click the link. When you click the link OR if you copy and paste the link (tried that from other postings), you get the same result. You're taken to a page that says:

Warning!

Only Registered Members are allowed to access this forum.
Please login below or click -here- to register an account with Eurobike Maine.

Of course at that point the software has changed the password to something random. So basically, if someone forgets their password, there's no way for them to retrieve it. What I then have to do is pico their .vars file and change the password.

Interestingly, I tried copying and pasting the new password shown in the .vars file, and that didn't work either!

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top