Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Noob - needs Help with Paths (Read 1,140 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Noob - needs Help with Paths
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Post Tools
BloodyRue's coding with obvious corrections to reference your domain is a perfect way to automatically get users who go to your current/previous forum to go to your new/current YaBB forum.

However, if what you want to do is to archive your old forum so people can still have access to it, then of course you can simply put up a notice about where your new forum is. With corrections to reference your domain, the following code is what you would use:

/forum/index.html
Code
Select All
<html>
	<body>
		This forum has been archived. <a href="http://yourdomain/yabb2/YaBB.pl">Please click here for our new forum.</a>
	</body>
</html> 

Naturally, you'll use whatever wording you like.  Wink

I'm particularly fond of the coding that BloodyRue presented because it's a great way to manage a website that has many pages that might otherwise have outdated links.

For instance, one of our websites has thousands of pages in it with ads that occasionally need to be updated. So in addition to using iFrames, it's so much easier to update one file versus dozens, hundreds, and even thousands in our case.

Good luck with your new YaBB forum. I think once you get used to using it, you'll like it a lot, and so will your forum's membership.

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2012 at 4:09pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2012 at 11:27am
Post Tools
index.html

Code
Select All
<html>
	<head>
	<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=http://yourdomain.what/yabb2/YaBB.pl" />
	</head>
	<body>
		<a href="http://yourdomain.what/yabb2/YaBB.pl">Go to the site forum.</a>
	</body>
</html>

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2012 at 7:03am
Post Tools
Short answer: The reason you're getting a 403 error is probably because you're trying to access your forum incorrectly.

/cgi-bin/yabb2 will give you a 403 error.

/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl will give you your forum.

Unlike other forums that are accessed in an HTML directory, YaBB is accessed in a cgi directory. That means an exact url needs to be given.

I have the same root structure that you have although my attachments directory is in another location.

As for the paths you need to use, since you currently have YaBB 2.5 installed, your Admin Center will give you that answer as follows (Path Settings):

Code
Select All
Absolute Path to your main YaBB directory
This information is useful for troubleshooting purposes

/var/www/virtual/youradamfilipsite.com/cgi-bin/yabb/  

Again, as for your board's actual url, when you're in Admin Center, what address do you see? I'm guessing you see the following:

/cgi-bin/yabb2/AdminIndex.pl

If the address above is correct, then replace AdminIndex.pl with YaBB.pl and your forum should appear.

Good luck!

Edited:
Edited to correct an instruction.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2012 at 7:07am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

adamfilip
YaBB Newcomer

None
Noob - needs Help with Paths
May 4th, 2012 at 5:17am
Post Tools
I have Yabb 2.5 installed on my server but im having touble with paths.

root structure is

cgi-bin
htdocs

my Attachments dir is
Code (HTML)
Select All
../htdocs/forum/Attachments 

also how do i get users who go to
Code (HTML)
Select All
mysite.com/forum/ 

to get to the forum, currently i just get a 403 error .

but it doesnt work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top